• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Ever wonder just how thick your head is ??

Nice! Turbovanman had a head cut apart and I've been anxiously awaiting his pics so it's great to see yours! Any idea how much that vein in front of the guide in the intake port can be cut down?

Nice! Turbovanman had a head cut apart and I've been anxiously awaiting his pics so it's great to see yours! Any idea how much that vein in front of the guide in the intake port can be cut down?

For the vein, I'm not sure yet about the thickness there, personally I don't remove anything much from the vein/ramp area in the intake side just slick it down and shape it more, the vein needs to be there .......

The exhaust side is a little different, some is removed from the exhaust side.....

For the vein, I'm not sure yet about the thickness there, personally I don't remove anything much from the vein/ramp area in the intake side just slick it down and shape it more, the vein needs to be there .......

The exhaust side is a little different, some is removed from the exhaust side.....
It looked to me that the vein was there to help induce swirl, is that your take on it too?

I'm also going to use this sample to show how well the thermal barrier works in the runners, I am working with someone that is building a motor for a dyno for testing and proving power gains for different items for the 6.5.. we want to use every possible coating to help protect the dyno motor, doing as much as possible to learn what works and what doesn't...

how about the thickness between the seats where they always crack?

Ferm, you wouldn't believe what I found, I am going to try and get a good pic, there is a HOLE,VOID the size of a pencil right there, I am going to cut another cly in between the valves tomorrow, I have NEVER seen anything like... will post up a pick later....

I haven't taken the time to saw it yet, but these pics will speak for themselves me thinks... the hole is a water jacket that we all knows goes through and some have milled & plugged ..etc.... well have a look at how & where the foundry plugged the passage and notice the large hole that is still there..... If this isn't a perfect picture of a stress point I don't know what is...

IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG

Nice. That is ugly. What is the date code of the head? By the first picture in Post #1 it looks like that is a GM head? I wonder if an AMG head would be different?

Just noticed a couple of turbos on the kitchen counter too:

http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/universal-he351-vgt-controller.44137/page-2#post-499253

Sure hope your Wife is not in the Country at the moment . . . If she is, you can hide-out at my place for a while ;)

We are suited for each other very well.. we take turns spreading a project out somewhere in the house... her stuff is blankets & quilts... mine... well I like attempting the not very easy stuff...

You obviously have a good band saw. Nice work!

Well, I guess so, I do fab a little stuff sometimes at work...

how about the thickness between the seats where they always crack?
I cut a head apart 6 or so years ago, there is a water jacket between the seats
I figured there was not enough meat there to put a bushing or even a valve insert in.
For that reason i felt it was not worth it to expense the time and machining cost to attempt fixing a head.

Back