• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 Engine build

I recently helped a guy replaced a factory balancer on a 1989 1/2 ton with a new balancer that we pulled off his new crate optimizer. The balancers are identical. We the. Put a fluidampr on his optimizer, and his 89 really needed some love. He looked at them and thought same thing you did- but putting them against each other and lining up the keyway- you can see they line up.

Possible your old balancer is not a Delco? Because it is Delco making the new ones still for GEP, just like they did when GM made the engines.

Chris is on point with the provent and how he is telling you to do each thing.
That provent catch can can be set up to auto drain into the engine or just you go drain it yourself into a clean bottle and pour back into the engine. I am kinda guy that likes to check oil at least once a month on a 6.5. And when it is down some you can drain and actually see the amount of moisture pulled in and pour it off. And rather than buy that 1/2 qt of oil it used to burn, now it goes back in. Remember- if you buy that ebay inock off provent- throw away the ebay coalescing filter and start with a real one. The housing is no biggie but the real filter does a far better job.
Then your turbo and intake stay properly clean. I never saw testing showing thbors last longer without the used oil smacking the blades spinning at 10,000 rpm. But I never seen anyone other than 1990’s GM bean counters allow such a thing either. Ask yourself- if you had a $100,000 race engine, would you purposely draft dirty Diesel engine oil into the turbo on purpose?

The CDR that R is Regulator as in cuts back the vacuum created at higher rpm because without it you will suck the oilpan dry running high rpm all the time. But when is crank case pressure higher- idle, mid range or full throttle? Of coarse the higher rpm the higher crank case pressure will be. You don’t want to limit the amount drawn then, you want it at maximum then. But the stupid 1980s design has to cut back so you don’t burn all the oil.
Get rid of the cdr. Install the provent and it will then remove pressure equivalent to the rpm, and it will catch almost every drop of oil instead of burning it. Some folks including me have done diy catch cans (did mine on the old Mercedes). But for low cost you can get the knock off and a real filter then get far better results. Absolutely nothing bad about buying the real McCoy obviously.

Balancers are, indeed identical - same part number and I didn't even think to check that yesterday after I took them off. (Not that you guys needed confirmation). I studied those yesterday for quite a long time as I mentioned and was positive they were different. Turns out I was wrong!

On another subject, I would like to be able to save the valve covers, regardless of if I use the factory CDR or not. Is there a trick to getting them off without trashing them or do I just start at one corner and start driving a putty knife?

Exactly- puddy knife. Just drive the puddy knife around with a hammer. Do not pry the cover at all, once you get it cut all the way around, it will lift off like it was never attached.

I use a 2” or 3” wire wheel in a cordless drill to clean the valve cover after its off.

Leroy gave a great view of the inside of the valve covers in this video, as well as a great installation tip. Someone might remember why this type valve cover is on both sides, but I don't. It looks like the RH side had the CDR hole welded shut? The LH side is open.

Is this the replacement for the CDR?

I wouldn't mind having a less expensive one, but if the name brand one doesn't have failing plastic mount tabs in 20 years, it will be worth it to me. I suspect an off brand of something like this would look the same when new, but time would reveal the truth - sort of like some OEM vs aftermarket body parts, etc.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Leroy used two passenger side covers because he has the cdr on passenger side like stock. Then he added his centrifuge on the driver side which attached and drained into that driver side of engine.

It is hard to see where the silicone goes on the valve cover. So some guys apply the silicone onto the head. Then follow directions on waiting for curing to begin.

Definitely using the studs to line up is a MUST. If you buy Leroy’s valve cover girdle kit, it comes with studs.

Yes the link you posted is for the provent 200 which will REPLACE the cdr. A very wise choice imo.

Full screen mode shows the embossed area that runs the perimeter at about the 1:47 mark.
1670207799322.png
Is there an advantage of the CDR in addition to the Provent?

It looks like the Provent was discussed a while back with mixed responses.

When taking the heads off, there isn't anything special that needs done, correct? I'll lay out which rockers and push rods are where they are, as well as the lifters, but is that all that is important?

My plan is to use Harland Sharp rockers, but I figure it will be best to know what is where just in case that doesn't work out.

On the bottom end, I planned to mark the mating rods and caps. I suppose the pistons and pins should be labeled, as well, correct? For the rings, I'll be putting them into a separate bag for each piston and labeling accordingly. What am I missing?

Also take note of timing marks on crank gear, cam gear and IP sprocket gear. There's instructions on proper orientation for re- assembly, but doesn't hurt to have too many pictures of what it looked like before it came apart

I don't know if the cam bearings are select fit like the crank bearings, hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in

If upgrading to Harland Sharp rockers, check out @Twisted Steel Performance 's facebook page, a few months back he posted pictures showing how the rockers may not line up correctly with the pushrods out of the box, and that for best rocker/ rod contact a different size diameter pushrod should be used

Thanks for the tips. Not sure if it matters or not, but the donor is DB2 and when finished will probably be DS4 (unless I am talked out of this). The reason I mention is because I don't know if the timing marks are the same for either.

I do have photos of the timing set, but I doubt I have anything for the cam to injection pump since it was all covered up. I'll have to look to see what I have. How do I determine what ratio on the rockers if I use the HS?

I believe one of the machine shops I contacted asked about what percentage of balance I wanted. I didn't know the answer, but I suppose that is the difference between the time involved. I believe it was the same shop that told me they add or subtract weight, depending on what is needed. Maybe they all do that, but I assumed they would all just remove weight unless advised otherwise. A while back, there was mention of the motor TSP is building had weight added whereas the motor Will is building would be better suited to remove the weight.

In regards to balancing the rotating assembly, what is the target?

If you want the best balance job tell them race spec, and I prefer to add weight to a slow spinning diesel.
Very helpful - the local guy I might use has built a reputation on race motors. Thanks for the link discussing balancing. I had wondered how weight was added. I pictured a guy using a tig welder, adding little blobs on weld in strategic places, but I guess that's far from what happens.

Is the custom push rod what is needed for the Harland Sharp rockers?

Attachments

• 20221206_174752.jpg
    20221206_174752.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221206_175111.jpg
    20221206_175111.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 7
As far as I know the stock pushrods will work with 1.6 rockers, at least that's what I'm running. BUT I have reduced compression and valve reliefs in my pistons, so I don't know how essential those features are to the 1.6 rockers. Chris can speak to that better than I.

If you look at the post from April 30 on @Twisted Steel Performance 's facebook page you see pictures comparing different size pushrod diameter to contact with the HS rockers. Apparently the HS rockers are designed for a 5/16 rod but going down in size doesn't seem like the right option as stock is 3/8 and Chris is running 7/16 in his performance build.

not trying to highjack the thread, but if the stock length pushrod is not correct Chris, what size is ideal for someone wanting to upgrade to 1.6 rockers?

Back