• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

'95 Engine build

What bearing brand is recommended? It sounds like I need to wait until I have the caps off and can check the OD on the journals before ordering them so I know what size in case they need to be -.001" or so. Is that right?

TSP, is this what you mean? If so, I don't understand how to apply.

It seems like measuring would be less costly. I'm comfortable with the mics I have - used to use them for a living all day every day. From what I understand about using plastigauge, I would have to buy a sacrificial set of studs just to get a reading on the thread once the caps were removed, since they're TTY.

Search for a bore gauge... Mics for the od of crank, mains and rods, zero the bore gauge to the mic measurement, use the bore gauge to see how many thousands the difference is.... I could explain it better on the phone...

You can use the new tty bolts until you put stress on them running the motor and they get heat cycles on them, I highly doubt the factory used new bolts every time they loosened the caps during the manufacturer process...

I found this same video today after reading some of the posts here to try to get a better handle on it. Thanks! Thanks for the link on the bore gauge.
Search for a bore gauge... Mics for the od of crank, mains and rods, zero the bore gauge to the mic measurement, use the bore gauge to see how many thousands the difference is.... I could explain it better on the phone...
I'm pretty sure I understand the process. I just hadn't heard of pression gauge before, so it wasn't clear to me. I thought it was a typo at first, but then when I found the part with the search term, I didn't see how I could use it for the measurements.

I've found that it looks like the timing case is the same with the engine using the DS4 and the DB2 (Incidentally, I don't think I mentioned it nor do the earlier photos show this, but the donor HMMWV engine was equipped with mechanical pump for some reason). Inside, though, I found a difference where there is a plate behind the gear on the injection pump. The one with the tool box showing through the opening is my '95 and the other is the donor. What is this plate and do I use it going forward, assuming I continue forward with my factory DS4 setup? I am making the assumption this is either an update or something just for the DB2, but really have no idea. The last photo shows the plate once it is out.

Attachments

• 20221202_113518.jpg
    20221202_113518.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221202_113514.jpg
    20221202_113514.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20221202_131848.jpg
    20221202_131848.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 11
I noticed, too, that the harmonic balancers are clocked differently in relation to the keyway. Is this something I need to be concerned about or that I need to keep in mind when replacing? Here they are side by side. Notice my attempt at a line from the keyway, through the center, then to the mass on the opposite side:
1670070421120.png

Attachments

• 20221202_120957.jpg
    20221202_120957.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 20221202_121002.jpg
    20221202_121002.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 4
On the oil pump drive - is one design preferred over the other? They're different, as you can see below. Does this matter?

Attachments

• 20221202_142317.jpg
    20221202_142317.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221202_142329.jpg
    20221202_142329.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 13
How do I remove the lower gear for the timing chain set? I've seen a couple guys mention heating, but that doesn't sound right to me. Two jaw puller maybe? Lots of slack in donor motor chain, but I haven't actually measured. Just enough that I was surprised.

I noticed, too, that the harmonic balancers are clocked differently in relation to the keyway. Is this something I need to be concerned about or that I need to keep in mind when replacing? Here they are side by side. Notice my attempt at a line from the keyway, through the center, then to the mass on the opposite side:
View attachment 78027

Well the first thing I see is in the pic they are 180 deg off, both are not orientated the same, that makes it look very different to the eye...
Are you going to balance the motor ?? If so take both and if needed the machine will tell the truth...

I've found that it looks like the timing case is the same with the engine using the DS4 and the DB2 (Incidentally, I don't think I mentioned it nor do the earlier photos show this, but the donor HMMWV engine was equipped with mechanical pump for some reason). Inside, though, I found a difference where there is a plate behind the gear on the injection pump. The one with the tool box showing through the opening is my '95 and the other is the donor. What is this plate and do I use it going forward, assuming I continue forward with my factory DS4 setup? I am making the assumption this is either an update or something just for the DB2, but really have no idea. The last photo shows the plate once it is out.

That's a baffle, I use it, some 6.2's and hummer's have the cdr in a different place and use a different oil fill tube...
reason for my choice - will not pick up oil like the screen in the valve cover does, I use a good catch can, looks better...
See pic...

002 (7).jpg

I've found that it looks like the timing case is the same with the engine using the DS4 and the DB2 (Incidentally, I don't think I mentioned it nor do the earlier photos show this, but the donor HMMWV engine was equipped with mechanical pump for some reason)

LOL.... the military was smart, they never used a DS4, PMD fail in the field, burn any oil you pore into it, etc....

And one other thing about the balancer's, DB2 = long snout , DS4 = short snout and reluctor....

And on the crank gear, why remove it ? The gears aren't what loosens up or ware, the chain is, and chain can be purchased by themself.... unless you are going the gear drive route, if so screw the bolt in the crank and use a puller and a little heat if needed..

Well the first thing I see is in the pic they are 180 deg off, both are not orientated the same, that makes it look very different to the eye...
Are you going to balance the motor ?? If so take both and if needed the machine will tell the truth...
Yes, it will be getting balanced. I studied it for quite a while yesterday before I convinced myself they were different. I drew the line to try to show that. I'll look at it here again in a little bit. I understand what you're saying about them 180 off in the photo.
That's a baffle, I use it, some 6.2's and hummer's have the cdr in a different place and use a different oil fill tube...
reason for my choice - will not pick up oil like the screen in the valve cover does, I use a good catch can, looks better...
See pic...
I have that fill neck from donor motor, too. What does the end result look like with the catch can? I had planned on using factory CDR, but am not locked into it.
And one other thing about the balancer's, DB2 = long snout , DS4 = short snout and reluctor....
I have the reluctor on both engines, but didn't take a picture after I took off the balancers.
And on the crank gear, why remove it ? The gears aren't what loosens up or ware, the chain is, and chain can be purchased by themself.... unless you are going the gear drive route, if so screw the bolt in the crank and use a puller and a little heat if needed..
If I use the chain again, am I going to have to plan to replace again in 30,000 miles vs gears? I don't plan to tear this apart again if all goes well. At one point in time I was thinking you mentioned favoring gears.

I have that fill neck from donor motor, too. What does the end result look like with the catch can? I had planned on using factory CDR, but am not locked into it.

My Provent 200 will mount on a bracket on the d/s fender, I'll route the hoses where they fit and look best, I don't like piling junk on top of everything...

I have the reluctor on both engines, but didn't take a picture after I took off the balancers.

All crank newer crank gears have the reluctor now, wasn't sure what year your motor was...

If I use the chain again, am I going to have to plan to replace again in 30,000 miles vs gears? I don't plan to tear this apart again if all goes well. At one point in time I was thinking you mentioned favoring gears.

Correct, and I do like gears, BUT I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THINGS BE CHECKED WITH A DEGREE WHEEL, I can't go into details but I just found out a dot is in the wrong place and destroyed a P400 motor in Canada, NEVER BOLT ON ANY AFTERMARKET ITEM WITHOUT CHECKING, the person asked no more details be given out but the pics I have are proof...

Back