• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Just a thought about the 6.5. Leroy its starting to be trailriding season and it will peak soon, everybody tows with Fords. Put ur truck on some of the horse n truck n trailer sale sites......Dream Horse......Ag direct etc. U can search better than me but I have sold several horses on these. U should have a state of Texas agriculture newsletter and classified listing mailer. Check on ur State Dept Agriculture site for it, the horse people use these a lot to get hay. Hope that helps.

Sure does, good idea. I guess I need to hit the big Super Duty forums too any suggestions before I google it?

Very true. I wonder how the "feel" of the 4BT will be since it has such large displacement cylinders, bit more than a 6.5. Large pistons, very high stroke. A 6BT Cummins with 2 cylinders chopped off, so it has all the heavy beefy bottom end support but less naturally balanced (although still better than a V8). I really wish the US had a diesel 3.9-4.3L sized inline 6.

Surprising that the W4000 weighs in about the same as the 3/4 ton 4WD trucks at about 8000lbs. It has a lot of early torque but peak in stock form is 265 at 1700rpm
http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html, with 105hp at 2300rpm. Maybe some upgrades will bring it up as well.

So I would say power will probably be comparable to a 5.0 gasser, 302/305 with much better fuel economy.

Hi Buddy,
There may be a bit of confusion, the engine Leroy is going to take out of the W4 (4000?) is an Isuzu not a Cummins 4BT. They are both 3.9L though. I don't know what the bore & stroke are of the Isuzu.

A couple times a year I drive a rental truck pretty much the same as the one Leroy bought, also with the Isuzu engine, but with a bigger box. We (over)load that thing down with water and drinks for the marathons we sponsor. Even with a heavy load the truck still moves around fine even on the freeway. I am expecting the engine to do well in the Suburban.

Just to make things confusing, I do have a Cummins 4BT in my shop that I am planning to put into a truck, most likely the blue 1996 that Leroy pointed out in the pictures he posted.

Hi Buddy,
There may be a bit of confusion, the engine Leroy is going to take out of the W4 (4000?) is an Isuzu not a Cummins 4BT. They are both 3.9L though. I don't know what the bore & stroke are of the Isuzu.

A couple times a year I drive a rental truck pretty much the same as the one Leroy bought, also with the Isuzu engine, but with a bigger box. We (over)load that thing down with water and drinks for the marathons we sponsor. Even with a heavy load the truck still moves around fine even on the freeway. I am expecting the engine to do well in the Suburban.

Just to make things confusing, I do have a Cummins 4BT in my shop that I am planning to put into a truck, most likely the blue 1996 that Leroy pointed out in the pictures he posted.

Hey guys, this is my brother Robert posting above (very rare). If you have electrical questions he (and buddy) are the ones to ask in a PM. I know I lean on him heavy for electrical mods.

Sounds just like the one that drove by my house this morning.

Sounds good! :thumbsup:

Got an engine to trans adapter made. I have decided to go 4L80E. It will be easier but cost more and from what I've been researching the 4L80E is a much better trans than the Jatco/isuzu trans. Jatco is very expensive IF you need a rebuild....ect. To use the Jatco I would need mounts, cooler lines, drive shaft, shift linkage, swap over the TCM from W4 that = PITA. The Jatco can be used to save money, but it will cost alot of time. The 4L80E is just sitting there ready to go, just need to bolt an engine to it.
I am looking for another engine so I can take my time and rebuild it and make it all shinny and new then change it out with this one. These engines have sleeved cylinders and as long as the crank is good with a rebuild you basicaly have a new engine. Rebuild kits are around $1300ish New pistons, sleevescome with it along with all the other needed brebuild parts.

I talked with a guy that is very knolegable with the 4BD1&2 he was making 500 HP at the wheels around 800# TQ. The engine was stock as far as the long block go's. He did have twin turbos, different IP, injectors and most of the bolt ons were high performance, but it amazed me the block/head was stock, this was on a 4BD1 engine.
I will get some pics of the engine adapter later.

If you want to try to run the tranny with the stock PCM we can try to work it out so it doesnt give you any hassles about not having a 6.5 engine. Would be an interesting project. If the TPS for that IP is similar to the DB2 IP TPS. Of course you guys know how to get them working on TCMs too. I need to spend some more time trying to hack the TCM PROMs to tweak them, so mechanical IP guys with auto trannys can get better shift and TCC action. Although are you still planning to use a standalone controller?

Hey buddy, I could do a TCM conversion again, but it really is alot of work. I am now a distributor for the Opti Shift controller. Its a stand alone controller just need TPS and trans output signal. Basicaly plug and play. For less than $600 its not worth fooling with a TCM. The Opti Shift if fully ajustable also.

I believe they are 16" rims, not sure of tire size.

Here is the engine adapter.
Big aluminium ring bolts to back of Isuzu flywheel housing and trans bolts to it. Before bolting the trans up the flywheel and tq converter needs to be inplace. The stock Isuzu flex plate is a very heavy cast iron piece. It get machined to accept the small aluminium ring, this allows the new hub/crank shaft adapter to be bolted to the flex plate and keep the proper spacing. Now the 4L80E flex plate can be bolted to the crank shaft adapter. The trans with tq converter can now be bolted up.
I'll be sure to get pictures of all that when I get to that point.

Kit
isuzu 4bd2t engine adaptor kit 001.jpg
crank shaft/hub adapter on isuzu plex plate.
isuzu 4bd2t engine adaptor kit 003.jpg

Leroy, are you going to do a cost tally at the end of the swap? I'm curious what the cost of everything besides the engine will be.

will need to do a time tally also. if you sell parts, that needs to be considered, plus, you are getting a storage building also.

Thats a good idea, I allways say I going to do that but never do. This time I keep a log as best I can.

Quick up date. Started working on getting the 4bd pulled yesterday. It all ready to come out today. I'll post some pictures later.
I'm not going to use the box as a storage shed anymore. I would have to rent a fork lift and that will cost $500-600 so its going to be sold or go to the scrap yard. I would like to use it, but can't justify the expence over building a new shed. Anyone have the "hook up" on a local fork lift?

is there any way to get the box/frame moved to the spot you want it then jack it up, block the box, remove frame then lower in place? how about making the box and frame into a trailer: cut, bend to a V, weld on hitch, sell as trailer or have a movable/portable building. i can come over and do some welding.

Back