• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Your 4BD2T peak torque looks to be at 1,800 RPM according to a google search

So.....to make a short story long...... In my opinion you should be shooting for a cruising RPM of 1,800-2,000 RPM with your new 4BD2T engine.

Would you still have that search?

With "the Plan" I should be right in there rpm wise maybe 100-200 rmp on the low side.

as far as driveshaft changes go, that is easy. i had to do that when i put the gearvendor in mine. i have a good link that goes through all the steps except i don't think it was mentioned to keep the yokes in line. if the 4BD2T looks to be at 1,800 rpm, that would be perfect. saving over $1,200.00 is a real plus and gets me more and more interested. trans mount won't be too diff, model it after the one on there now or cut/add to the original since it is a top/side mount. is the trans a stick or slush box?

Hey Chief915 my truck has to be at 2500-2600 rpm to go 60 mph. That doesnt seem to fit in anywhere with the list u gave. Where is my best mpg at? Wish I could do 60 mph @ 1700 rpm and still have all the towing power.

Hey Chief915 my truck has to be at 2500-2600 rpm to go 60 mph. That doesnt seem to fit in anywhere with the list u gave.

Bill,

It looks like your truck might not be shifting into 4th gear......If you are turning 2500-2600 to go 60mph.

These are the RPM's you should be seeing at 60, assuming that you have a 4.10 rear axle and tires that are 30.5" tall.

3rd gear at 60 mph would be 2,713 RPM
4th gear at 60 mph would be 2,035 RPM

4th gear at 65 mph would be 2,204 RPM
4th gear at 70 mph would be 2,374 RPM

Where is my best mpg at?

Tough answer here...... According to the list I gave Leroy, you should try to cruise at 1,700-1,800 RPM too, which would be 52 mph for your setup. Again, that "setup" is assuming that you have 4.10 gears and tires that are 30.5" tall.

Hey Chief915 I just measured my tires they r only 28 inches tall.....they r P235/70R-16 The vin code decoder says they should be LT225/75R16/D Also the vin decoder says my rear is what u thought which is 4.10 or a code of GT5 I looked in the glove box and it has GT5 It does shift n2 all gears. It did not do so all the time when I got it but Leroy and some other folks talked me thru setting the TPS and now it shifts smoothly into all 4 gears and the TCC lockup works good too. Could the tires be that much of a difference? Sorry about using ur thread Leroy but I might get to drive at a lot lower RPM if I get this figured out.

Thanks. I can search for hours sometimes and not find what Im after. A fresh set of eyes does wonders.

as far as driveshaft changes go, that is easy. i had to do that when i put the gearvendor in mine. i have a good link that goes through all the steps except i don't think it was mentioned to keep the yokes in line. if the 4BD2T looks to be at 1,800 rpm, that would be perfect. saving over $1,200.00 is a real plus and gets me more and more interested. trans mount won't be too diff, model it after the one on there now or cut/add to the original since it is a top/side mount. is the trans a stick or slush box?
Ya, the mechanicals are the easy part.
What driveshaft co did you use? My local shop went away??
Mine is an Auto. Looks physicaly about the same size as a 4L80E. I hope the Suburban Driveshaft is longer as its easier to cut one down than strech one.
Im getting excited about this swap, just wish it was'int so damn hot outside. FYI for non locals we had 109 degrees here Saturday (the day I drove the W4 home with no A/C!!)

How do I ask a mod to move Chief915 and my posts to a separate thread cause it is junking up Leroys thread and I think it is going to take a little to resolve my strange trucks peculiar rpms. Thank u.

Hey Chief915 I just measured my tires they r only 28 inches tall.....they r P235/70R-16 The vin code decoder says they should be LT225/75R16/D Also the vin decoder says my rear is what u thought which is 4.10 or a code of GT5 I looked in the glove box and it has GT5 It does shift n2 all gears. It did not do so all the time when I got it but Leroy and some other folks talked me thru setting the TPS and now it shifts smoothly into all 4 gears and the TCC lockup works good too. Could the tires be that much of a difference? .

Ok, here are the new calculations based on a 4L80E, 235/70R16 tires (which are 28.95" tall), and 4.10 gears.

3rd gear at 60 mph would be 2,855 RPM
4th gear at 60 mph would be 2,141 RPM

3rd gear at 65 mph would be 3,093 RPM
4th gear at 65 mph would be 2,319 RPM

Switching to 235/85R16 tires, which are 31.7" tall, will get you in the ball park of where you need to be.

4th gear at 55 mph would be 1,791 RPM
4th gear at 60 mph would be 1,954 RPM
4th gear at 65 mph would be 2,117 RPM

How do I ask a mod to move Chief915 and my posts to a separate thread cause it is junking up Leroys thread and I think it is going to take a little to resolve my strange trucks peculiar rpms. Thank u.

I think you just asked.....

Thanks. I can search for hours sometimes and not find what Im after. A fresh set of eyes does wonders.

Ya, the mechanicals are the easy part.
What driveshaft co did you use? My local shop went away??
deejaaa's drive shaft service, came to the house and used my driveway, wait a minute, i did it myself. i have 12" left over that i removed from the job.
so the truck has no a/c or it's inoperative, not good. i was out in it Sat, sweating, looking for a source for veg oil, with no a/c either. 109* was the actual temp too.

Hey Thanks Chief!!!!! That be a lot better MPG!!!! I saved ur rpm chart, now to find somebody to trade tires with.

Deejaaa did u find any Veggie oil? Chinese restaurants r the best cause they use peanut oil, try for p-nut or soybean. I got 500 miles on my wvo blend. Leroy might have some ideas, arent yall close?

.................Deejaaa did u find any Veggie oil? Chinese restaurants r the best cause they use peanut oil, try for p-nut or soybean. I got 500 miles on my wvo blend. Leroy might have some ideas, arent yall close?
no oil yet. might have some in the town i work. the ones i checked had a 'contract' and wouldn't budge. working on a Mexican food rest, might be 40 gal/week but owner on vacation 2 weeks. offered 1.00 a gallon. will see.
we are, about 45 mins. i am on the east side, he's on the south.
having probs w/ trans shifting. dtc 82-83-85. might be tps. i was messing w/ the a/c under the hood and thought i might have disturbed something but all looks normal. scratching my head.

Bill, we will leave this were it is. It stays in tune with the discussion at hand.

If you would like to start a new thread feel free. :thumbsup:

deejaaa's drive shaft service, came to the house and used my driveway, wait a minute, i did it myself. i have 12" left over that i removed from the job.
so the truck has no a/c or it's inoperative, not good. i was out in it Sat, sweating, looking for a source for veg oil, with no a/c either. 109* was the actual temp too.

It has a/c just not working.
I would not trust my welding skills on a driveshaft. Did you rebalance yours?

I just thought about this: The W4 was also available with a 350 chevy engine, so I might get lucky and the motor mounts may be in the right position. They do look very simular to the mounts I made for a Cummins 6BT swap.

Ok on this RPM thing at 60 mph. Somewhere on here I read about a new alt could come with the wrong pulley for a 6.2 diesel but it still would work. The thread gave the measurements. As is becoming the usual thing I think my truck has the wrong alternator pulley. My pulley is just a tiny bit over 2 1/4 inches all the way across. Seems like its supposed to be 2 3/8????? I think my truck was built by Johnny Cash!

Back