• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Finally got started on pulling the engine yesterday. Have a couple more hours to go. No pictures as im sure no one wants to see another 6.5 engine bay pic.
The 6.5 is running real good too.

I wish we lived a lot closer. I could use a good running motor for my pickup. It has 237K on it, lots of blowby, showing some burning of oil, and losing lots of oil from possibly the rear main. With all these negatives it still starts and runs good.

Don

looking good! you should drag that engine up for my burb and check out dad's "prototype duramax" (chevy with an isuzu in it) it is an inline 6 turbocharged from a 1976 low cab forward coupled to the original 5 speed, and hooked to a 3 speed brownie. it is in a 1979 RCLB 2wd C3500 camper special that was originally BBC turbo 400.

the swap was done horribly by the PO, wiring is a mess, guages electrical taped around the steering column, etc. plus a nice spray paint paint job to boot. but the truck drove nice and got 23 on an unladen empty run, and towed well.

hope your swap turns out much better, but as shown by all your projects, I'm sure it will be close to SEMA worthy! btw, why wasnt a gas burb used for this project? I thought I would be cool to keep this one original, then find a gasser twin and do the isuzu swap. identical rigs, one OEM configuration, one highly modified custom.

Sounds like your dad has a nice truck.
I wish I had room for another burb around here or I might have done a second one. I still have my 96 6.5 to do mock ups on if needed.

Whats really strange is now that I've decided to keep the 6.5 Im getting everyone asking about it? I don't mind, its murphys law. I want to drive the burb with the new engine for a couple months then decided if I like the convertion or not. If not the 6.5 will go back in the burb.
Check back in a few months if your still in the market.

Oh I did not know you would offer $250 would you like me to install it too? only $10. I can retire now. I don't mean stop working and enjoy life, but rather buy one tire.

Did some experimenting today. The driver seat upholstery is in great shape but the foam has seen better days. I wanted to know if I could swap seat bottoms and what do you know, you can!
Just four bolts holds the seat backs to bottoms. The recline mechanism is in the seat back, so by swithing just the bottoms the lever stays on the correct side of the seats. Also arm rests stay on the correct side (in a burb or crew cab you have arm rests on both sides though)
The pass seat in most vehicles is not used nearly as much. Mine is in great condition. Its like have a new seat again. I highly recomend doing this to anyone with a 94- truck/Burb with buckets.

DSCN3315.JPG
DSCN3316.JPG
DSCN3319.JPG
DSCN3320.JPG
DSCN3322.JPG
DSCN3321.JPG

Got A/C comp mounted, new hoses installed, and a vac on the system. Will charge it and hook up the power tomorrow.

DSCN3367.JPGDSCN3368.JPGDSCN3369.JPGDSCN3370.JPGDSCN3373.JPGDSCN3374.JPGDSCN3371.JPG

Aux cooling fan. My air cooler oil cooler went away as the Isuzu has a liquid to oil cooler in the block. So that opened up a spot for the aux cooling fan for the condenser.

DSCN3380.JPGDSCN3379.JPG

Made a "4 ON HI" harness for the burb. It turns on all 4 lights while high beams are activated.

DSCN3382.JPG

7Aug12 update

Got some glass lens projector lights with HID bulbs installed today. Still have the 4onhigh. They fit pretty good, but the quality at the point where bulb engauges could be better.

DSCN3675.JPG
Also bought some Wade clear covers. The lheadlight lens is glass so maybe these will help protect them.
DSCN3677.JPG
DSCN3674.JPG

I got home late last night and drove the other truck, so I have yet to see what these look like at night.

Back