• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Leroy

I'm going to try something here, I hope it works and isn't a no-no for this forum.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/search.php?searchid=7925727

This was a search on ih8mud(dot)com in their "Diesel Tech and 24 volts Systems" forum. Not all the threads that came up were 4BD2T specific, but they could have ideas for you.

Your plans really intrigue me. I wish I had the money to build up a MPG maker on a Sub. I'd love to have 20+ MPG in a larger size vehicle. I h8 the crackerboxes you normally have to drive to get the good MPGs.

Hope this helps.

Don

Ok on this RPM thing at 60 mph. Somewhere on here I read about a new alt could come with the wrong pulley for a 6.2 diesel but it still would work. The thread gave the measurements. As is becoming the usual thing I think my truck has the wrong alternator pulley. My pulley is just a tiny bit over 2 1/4 inches all the way across. Seems like its supposed to be 2 3/8????? I think my truck was built by Johnny Cash!

Outside diameter ,measured on the lip on the front, should be 2 5/8" for diesel. Gas is 2 1/4-2 3/8".Makes a big difference on the tach and keeps the belt tensioner in the correct range.

Thanks Don I looked quickly at it lastnight but was to tired to absorb any of it, will look again today.

:mad2: Thanks Barry, so the PO put the wrong alt and pulley on, it looks like a really new one. How do I fix it and how hard is the pulley to get off, seems like Leroy did a 144 update with some of this info. U got a pulley for sale Barry? :) Can I leave it alone and just adjust in my head? :rolleyes5::rolleyes5: Also went past a DOT speed display in town today and my speedometer seems to be off by about 2-3 mph at 20mph. :cool: I was doing 20 mph according to my speedometer. Does the speedo work off the alt or is that me having the wrong size tires?

Handcannon and Leroy if the goal is to get 20 plus mpg with a burb why not put a 6.2 N/A in it. If my dually gets 20 plus mpg and I have seen others that get that and way better on trips on posts here on TTS??? Would a 6.5 N/A be better? Thanks guys, I know I am very needy but hey sooner or later we gonna get the bugs worked out! :thumbsup: :D :rolleyes5:

Wrong size tires would do it. Speedo works on trans output speed through your VSSB. Speedo is electric not cable.

As far as 6.2 vs Isuzu
1. Just want to do it.
2. Think I can get better MPGs with a 3.9
3. More tourque potential.
I did think about a 6.2, but the trucks I have driven with them that had a rear axle that would allow for MPGs was a dog, it could'int get out of its own way. The military versions I drove had a 4:56 and were very loud at 45&^ MPH and MPGs were down because of that.
IMO any n/a 6.2 with a 3:73 or 3:42 will be a dog. It might get good mpg's though.

Bill, the tach on the electronic 6.5's get their signal from the alt, not sure on yours. Some of the early ones got a signal from something where a distributor would be on a gasser.

I like the uniqueness of it.Not everybody is willing to take out a perfectly good engine and replace it with a different brand.
As far as a 6.2 N/A being a dog with 3.70s ,I'd have to argue that. my 91 did ok untill you hooked a trailer up. I got as high as 28mpg on a 400 mile interstate run. Average everyday driving was around 22mpg.

I like the uniqueness of it.Not everybody is willing to take out a perfectly good engine and replace it with a different brand.
As far as a 6.2 N/A being a dog with 3.70s ,I'd have to argue that. my 91 did ok untill you hooked a trailer up. I got as high as 28mpg on a 400 mile interstate run. Average everyday driving was around 22mpg.

Leroy did early burbs come with a 6.2 or 6.5? Thanks for the tire info, my truck runs and drives great but she n I are a mess, I am missing a leg and she has to get by with lotsa mismatched parts! LOL I had a show horse once with a really bad set of wheels, everybody that looked at him couldnt believe he competed every weekend with such crooked legs and didnt cripple himself. My vet said mother nature skewed the angles in his legs as he grew to make the load bearing angles cancel and support each other to give him a solid foundation and for me to not try to corrected shoe him!!!! I wonder if my ole truck is that way, wonder if I continue to mess with it I am gonna mess the balance up! LOL

NVW I am pretty sure mine is in the alt! I am sure some folks will let me know wether to fix it or adjust in my mind for the difference in pulleys. I found a old post that said it made a 200 rpm difference.

Bill

You might check an auto parts store to see if they can get the correct size pulley. I found one online to replace my incorrect one but I don't remember the cost.

What I'd really like to have the funds for would be an early four door Tahoe (OBD1) and convert to diesel and mechanical IP. I'm on a limited income like you are so, DREAM ON.

Don

Mid 90's is kinda goffy with the blazer/ tahoe/ jimmy/ yukon thing. IIRC in 94-95 you could get any of the 4 depending on options. After 96 they kept the blazer/ jimmy on the s series.

Would any come stock 6.2N/A ?

6.2 N/A engines came stock in suburbans and blazers (and of course pickups) during the 80's and possibly very early 90's.

Once the 6.5 came out in 93 or so, the 6.2 was gone in the civilian GMC / Chevy trucks. Anything Chevy / GMC diesel after 93 was a 6.5.

Very true. I wonder how the "feel" of the 4BT will be since it has such large displacement cylinders, bit more than a 6.5. Large pistons, very high stroke. A 6BT Cummins with 2 cylinders chopped off, so it has all the heavy beefy bottom end support but less naturally balanced (although still better than a V8). I really wish the US had a diesel 3.9-4.3L sized inline 6.

Surprising that the W4000 weighs in about the same as the 3/4 ton 4WD trucks at about 8000lbs. It has a lot of early torque but peak in stock form is 265 at 1700rpm
http://www.cumminsdieselspecs.com/4bt.html, with 105hp at 2300rpm. Maybe some upgrades will bring it up as well.

So I would say power will probably be comparable to a 5.0 gasser, 302/305 with much better fuel economy.

Why coulnt u have the economy of the N/A 6.5 and the power of a turbo both. Seems to me u should be able to build it to where u could turn the turbo off and run it as a N/A????

Buddy thanks for the link. I'll check it out next.

My Sub is 2wd, so just alittle lighter. Obviously I have not driven the Burb with 4BD2 power yet, but just judging from driving the W4 it will have plenty of power and TQ for me.
It is allready cooling off here, but before I can jump into this project I need to sell my 2005 Super Duty. Its in the classified section here. Help me get it sold.

the 6.5T uses more fuel for more power. Because you have more air you can inject more fuel, so power is up and MPG's are down. To turn the turbo off you would have to bypass the exhaust around the turbo. The engine on a DB2 IP wont know the difference and might get worse MPG because you now have to press to foot feed more for the same performance.
On a DS4 you might be able to tune for it???

And now that I think about it, it would be very restrictive to N/A though the turbo and manifold on the turbo trucks.

Back