• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
Well I figured I would post a build thread too. I will be chronicling my adventures with it and hope you all will join in the (fun?).
I had been looking for a 94 6.5tdl Suburban with red interior. Its a one year only thing.
I have always loved the red interior ever since I bought my first diesel. It was a 93 LBEC 2WD with red bucket seat interior. Ordered it from the dealer in Oct 1992 and took delivery Jan 93.
Anyway back to the Burb. Its was a one owner FL driven truck (no rust) Still has the owners manuals & paper work. In the back of the owners manual are a set of the knock outs that come out of the original GM key. They have the code on them so the GM guys can cut a new key w.out the old key in hand. Its about as loaded as the 94's get with front/rear a/c, FF 3.73 axle, 4L80E, Third row seat......

So the first thing in mind for her is to make it max out on the MPG's and the first thing I have done is to put a A/C Delco 195* Tstat (part # 12T45E) in it. I always put a Oring lube on the inside of the hose where it contacts the housing. New FelPro gasket.

Suburban 001.jpg

These are a few pictures that I can refer back to see the changes along the way.
Suburban 004.jpg
Suburban 002.jpg
Suburban 003.jpg

Next up will be a set of PYO wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to ask earlier if a mod could correct my spelling mistake in the title on the word "thread"

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I installed new engine oil cooler lines. They are 5/8" (-10) hoses. The hoses are stainless steel braided and teflon lined. They should outlast the truck.

oil cooler adapter for oem cooler 002.jpg
These are custom fittings that allow the reuse of the OEM cooler.
oil cooler fitting -10 009.jpg
Before the hose swap. The original hoses were leaking in the usual places.
oil cooler fitting -10 014.jpg

You should have seen my post before Jim fixed it up for me. Thanks for coreckting my spelin misstakes

Got the Diamond Eye exhaust installed too.

Was a good day. PYO wheels and Diamond Eye exhaust installed.

Diamond Eye exhaust 009.jpg

exhaust install DE 022.jpg

those PYOs are so shiny, it distorts the 2nd small image into looking like the chromed steel! had to click to get the big picture! LOL what did you have to give for them, if you dont mind me asking?

so, how is the "Mileage to the Max Premax" doing so far for fuel economy? cleared 20 yet? do you have or plan to get a front airdam?

Last edited:
those PYOs are so shiny, it distorts the 2nd small image into looking like the chromed steel! had to click to get the big picture! LOL what did you have to give for them, if you dont mind me asking?

so, how is the "Mileage to the Max Premax" doing so far for fuel economy? cleared 20 yet? do you have or plan to get a front airdam?

The wheels are just how I got them. They are real shinny even inside the rim, some of the best condition used wheels Ive had. I got them from Scott (bigburban) Think it was $475 with tires.
Still have not even driven a tank of fuel with it, but will start driving it soon as my DD, so will report MPGs later. I do have an air dam on order as we speak should be here this week.

Finally got the burb inspected, registerd and insurance today. It was the real first day of driving it since I've had it. Really enjoyed it. The sound from the exhaust system is perfect. Seems to be a bit slugish though. Have a bunch of parts on order for it and will be putting in the new injectors soon also, so maybe it will perk up?

I would be interested in a before and after alluminum wheel MPG comparison. I know lighter is better in general, esspecially in town, but I was wondering if MPG was the only goal if it was worth it.

They do look good though!

K47 HO filter mod

OK so I know its been done a bunch of times, but this is my version.

Regular old 3" PVC street elbow. Picture shows it after a coat of adhesion promoter was applied.
6.5 diesel air filter mod 002.jpg

Couple of coats of grey paint.
6.5 diesel air filter mod 001.jpg

The one thing I did differently and have not seen yet was to add the air filter restriction indicator. I had a very clean one off a Dodge laying around so used it, but the one from the stock K47 will work fine. Just drill a hole where you want it, insert the gromet and the the indicator.

6.5 diesel air filter mod 003.JPG

This is a before picture. Before I clean it up. Will post after pic's later.
K47 air filter mod 001.jpg

While I am cleaning parts I want to get the plastic cover cleaned up also. When I removed it I noticed the center bolt on upper intake missing?? (how long has it been like that?) Because it it missing it allowed alot of the oil vapors from CDR/turbo to blow out under pressure. I wonder how much boost I/you will loose with the bolt removed?
K47 air filter mod 002.jpg

Underside of plastic cover. You can see where the oil under boost was blowing and then dripping back down on the intake area.
K47 air filter mod 003.jpg

Cover is very covered in oil and intake is coated pretty good to. Will make cleaning that a future project.
K47 air filter mod 005.jpg

Before picture.
K47 air filter mod 004.jpg

Attachments

• K47 air filter mod 001.jpg
    K47 air filter mod 001.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 22
Looks like you are having a good time! :thumbsup:

I would love to have a 94 burb.

I love these old trucks. They are fun to work on. Im taking it slow though for the next few days.

Back