• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

looks good. how many miles? the box could easily be converted to a trailer for camping. if/when i do this, i will have to look into doing that to my box. is there a market for the cab? what about the trans?

152000, truck is from AZ still has AZ tags on it. Ill try to sell the trans, thought about just using it. Have no idea about the cab it is soild. The windshield is not even cracked. Not sure what scrap is but should get some $ if I scrap it. Have heard the aluminium box is worth $1000 in scrap, don't know. Won't be scraping it though its worth more to me as a storage shed.

The 4BD engines are rated for pretty low horsepower and not a whole lot of torque. I wonder how it would do with a load in the box.

Sounds awesome for a people hauler, but maybe not something you hook a trailer to without some serious power modification. I see quite a few 4 cylinder work trucks around me. Always looks funny seeing a truck cab smaller than an S-10 with dually 12" wheels and a box on it. Must have some low gearing. Probably great for moving furnitrure or appliances around.

I'd love to have a large 4-cylinder diesel half ton truck, although would be more happy with a 4L inline six diesel. GM and Ford have screwed the pooch not developing these earlier.

I'm just going by seat of the pants feel, but I think 4bd2t in the Suburban will be atleast as fast as the 6.5 in it now. The 4bd2t got that W4 truck down the road real good with lots of torque even at highway speeds it felt like it was ready for more. If the 4bd2t can get that big box loaded with stuff around and at highway speeds it ought to do real well in the Burb. It would be awesome in a S10 or an ElCamino. I'm hoping it turns out as nice as I invision.

Buddy did you find torque #s on these engines?

Yeah but it's all about the gearing, in both the trans and rear, plus these were designed for city hauling not highway hauling.

You might be okay as D/D but definitely not going to be towing anything heavy without proper gearing, on the highway anyways.

I've driven these trucks and the power band is very narrow and get winded by 2.500 rpm. Hence GEARING GEARING GEARING.

Not trying to discourage you, just do your homework so as to avoid disappointment and arse load of money down the rabbitt hole.

I hear ya. I think I'll be good though. Funny thing there is no tach in the truck so I don't know what RMP it runs at.
I do know the rear axle came in 4:11 and 4:56 for most W4's Not sure what this one has yet. I've been thinking more about using the Isuzu trans instead of the 4L80E. So, the only thing different in the equation is the rear gear. Mine is 3:73 so will drop the RPM down. My gut tells me it was turning 2300-2600RPM yesterday at 60-65MPH. With 3:73's It should drop into the 1800-1950 range Im guessing. Anyone know how to calculate that?
Anyway If it performs like I think it will I'll be very happy.

I hear ya. I think I'll be good though. Funny thing there is no tach in the truck so I don't know what RMP it runs at.
I do know the rear axle came in 4:11 and 4:56 for most W4's Not sure what this one has yet. I've been thinking more about using the Isuzu trans instead of the 4L80E. So, the only thing different in the equation is the rear gear. Mine is 3:73 so will drop the RPM down. My gut tells me it was turning 2300-2600RPM yesterday at 60-65MPH. With 3:73's It should drop into the 1800-1950 range Im guessing. Anyone know how to calculate that?
Anyway If it performs like I think it will I'll be very happy.
http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx
http://www.csgnetwork.com/multirpmcalc.html
http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/GearCalc.html

More pictures.

First Pass side of engine with intake and IP.
w4 truck 005.jpg
Transmission with what looks like a PTO cover.
w4 truck 009.jpg
Exhaust brake. Yes I will be hooking that up!
w4 truck 010.jpg
Another pass side shot
w4 truck 006.jpg
Starter, bell housing area.
w4 truck 008.jpg
what I thought was the power steering pump is a vac pump. The vac pump is mounted to back of alt.
w4 truck 003.jpg
Turbo is turned backwards??
w4 truck 004.jpg
Trans mount. Trans hangs there instead of a xmember support.
w4 truck 007.jpg
Motor mount
w4 truck 002.jpg
Driver side
w4 truck 001.jpg

Is this a IDI engine? Lots of things look sorta Mercedes style to me. Might be a heck of a wvo engine. I drove a Isusu truck when I was with the catering outfit, I admire the way they put things together. Lil 4 cylinder straight drive could actually tow the catering trailer as well as the bosses gasser GMC with a 8 cyl motor! U couldnt wind it too tight!

In random order

Oil pan has a area to increased oil volume.
w4 truck 016.jpg
A/C condinser is away from IC and radiator. Has its own electric fan. Makes good since if you have the space.
w4 truck 014.jpg
Empty box.
w4 truck 025.jpg
Radiator and IC
w4 truck 020.jpg
P/S pump is gear driven. No belt
w4 truck 015.jpg
Engine Data tag.
w4 truck 012.jpg
I/C and radiator with trans cooler lines.
w4 truck 013.jpg

w4 truck 021.jpg
Air filter crosses over to pass side. I will look into mounting a filter box on driver side.
w4 truck 017.jpg
w4 truck 019.jpg
My brothers projects. 96 daily driver and a 94 Suburban planed for a Cummins 4BT swap.
w4 truck 026.jpg

This is IDI.

Mine is a 4bd2t = IDI.
The 4bd1 was DI. I had a 85 300D but cant remember if it was IDI or DI.

Found all of those helpfull.
I might need to go to 4:11's According to the link I'll only turn 1666 rpm at 60MPH and 1943 rpm at 70MPH.

Leroy, you said you are reusing the 4L80E and the current rear end in the suburban right? The only thing you are changing is the engine?

Until I can pull the powertrain out of the W4 I won't be sure, but Im leaning toward using the Isuzu engine and trans at this time. Mainly so save $700 not having to buy the trans adapter and $540 on a trans controller. This mean I will have to come up with a mount, drive shaft, shift linkage and cooling line mods though.

Ok.....Now I get it.

I was under the impression that you were reusing the 4L80 and old suburban rear, so I couldn't understand why you guys were discussing gear ratio changes in order to get the new engine to cruise at the same rpm that the 6.5 did......

Just to confirm, "The Plan" is to use engine and trans from Isuzu and rear axle from the Suburban.
I'm learning more everyday and have always thought all diesels were in their sweet spot at around 1800-2100rpm. Well now it seems the 4cly diesels are at 2200-3200rpm. I don't know this as fact yet and I hope its not true. It will be easier/cheaper for me if I could have the rpms in the 1800-2100 rpm range.

Peak efficency is at or very near/slightly higher (200 RPM) than PEAK TORQUE RPM on diesel engines, and follow's true no matter what size or # of cylinders......... At least that's what I have always been taught and always read......However the peak torque RPM is going to change for different size/classes of diesel engines.

6.5 peak torque / MPG sweet spot is 1,700-1,800 RPM
5.9 Cummins peak torque RPM is 1,400 - 1,700 RPM depending on year and pump
4BT cummins peak torque / MPG sweet spot looks to be 1,600-1,700 RPM
Your 4BD2T peak torque looks to be at 1,800 RPM according to a google search

In contrast the large bore diesels.....

NTC-400 Cummins peak torque is at 1,350 RPM
Cat 3406 peak torque is between 1,200 and 1,400 RPM depending on the fuel setup.
Detroit Diesel Series 60 is 1,200 - 1,600 RPM depending on the programming.

So.....to make a short story long...... In my opinion you should be shooting for a cruising RPM of 1,800-2,000 RPM with your new 4BD2T engine.

Back