• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Waiting to hear if a shipping container has made dock & unloaded and whats on it. Supposedly the GM style TTM's will be on it. Power/heated/turrn sig's
If so I'll put those on. If not the Dodges will go on, atleast temp.

I'm a total n00b to the 6.5. What does the OPS (Obviously Oil Pressure Sender) relay mod do? Make the gauge more accurate?

The OPS is very prone to fail. The full load of the lift pump is carried through the OPS. When you add a relay it takes the load off the OPS and the relay takes the load instead.

Gotcha. So it's designed so if there's no oil pressure, it kills the lift pump, but when you add the relay it does that, but it doesn't kill the OPS as quick.

Gotcha. So it's designed so if there's no oil pressure, it kills the lift pump, but when you add the relay it does that, but it doesn't kill the OPS as quick.

Correct, The old OPS power wire to LP is now just a signal wire to the relay. The way its wired if the OPS looses pressure it wont trigger the relay, so you have not defeated the safety factor

I am following along Leroy.....

Awesome job on the mods so far. I have done quite a bit to mine so far too in the month + that I have had it.... I just don't think to take pics until the job is almost done lol.

I did the same today, installed a new cross over pipe today and did not take pictures.

Thank you Tom, coming from you that means alot to me. And IMO I think you are one of the members here that 99% of the others look to for answers. I know I do and look forward to your postings.

Yes, let us know how she drives after all these tweaks. And thank you too for your kind words.

Will do, I need to hook the Scanner up. I think it may have boost issues. Kind of a dog and SES light comes on under light load conditions when turbo should be kicking in.

CS144 Altenator convertion 140Amp

Very simple upgrade, decide how you want to mount it, drill a larger hole in the connector/terminal that gets bolts to back of alt and you are done. Took me about a hour including the time to figure out what to do for rear bracket and to modifiy it. The plug in connector is the same also.
Reuse stock serp belt too!!
Before ..........................................................After
CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 001.jpg CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 004.jpg

Before.............................................................After
CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 002.jpg CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 005.jpg

For the rear bracket I used an old bracket that went from intake to turbo. Had to bend the mounting holes 90* and enlarge the holes. I bent each side 45* as not to tear the metal.
The bottom mounting is the heavy 2"ish thick mounting point. I did not want to cut & weld on the stock bracket. I'll carry the stock bracket in the truck incase of an emergency and I need to go back to stock alt.
CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 006.jpg

I saw this in another post and used the same idea here. Just flip the tensioner bracket and add a 1" thick wall bronze spacer.
Before..................................................................After
CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 003.jpg CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 008.jpg

CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 009.jpg

CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 010.jpg

CS144 altenator on 94 Suburban 007.jpg

What brand alt did you use? Shouldn't the wire size from the alt to battery be increased?

Good job!! I swapped a CS144 in place of the CS130, but it wasn't as simple as your method. I cut/welded and modified the rear bracket. I also was able to keep the origional length belt.

Don

edit: Meant to ask what year and vehicle this alt was for. I forgot to ask the parts guy what year and vehicle he used. I was more concerned at the time with getting the 140 amp model. The way your alt is clocked is exactly the way mine is. Somebody else in another thread mentioned 97 Suburban.

Last edited:
Ferm mentioned it.
Good job!! I swapped a CS144 in place of the CS130, but it wasn't as simple as your method. I cut/welded and modified the rear bracket. I also was able to keep the origional length belt.

Don

edit: Meant to ask what year and vehicle this alt was for. I forgot to ask the parts guy what year and vehicle he used. I was more concerned at the time with getting the 140 amp model. The way your alt is clocked is exactly the way mine is. Somebody else in another thread mentioned 97 Suburban.

Ideally he'll increase the wire size. It may not just as simple as replacing it and have it look good though with the factory side post battery cables. The alternator wire is connected to the factory-molded battery connector via a fusible link.

Back