• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

94 Suburban Build thread

Barry, its a DuraLast Gold (DLG)from Auto zone. I would have ran a new wire if it had any more amps than 140.
Don, I looked up a 96 truck, I think it was also Ferm that said they were optional on 96 -2000 GMT400's
Anyrate they had the correct one. The DLG is a brand new unit made by a/c delco according the the parts guy. I only buy those when I buy from AZ and have had good life out of them. Except for one.

I just eye balled the pulley size. They are very close if not the same. The belt went back on real nice to. I'll get the calipers out and messure them to confirm. On such a small diameter pulley a small diff in dia could throw off the tach.

Finaly installed the GMTScan tech software to the laptop today and took a quick look. It has a waste gate sol code set. In you're guys experience what does that mean?
Hopfully fixing that will fix the slugishness.

It typically means youre not getting vacuum to the wastegate actuator. Which could be bad vac pump, bad boost solenoid, or cracked vacuum lines (common). A vac gauge is helpful, check it at the actuator, easy to do, and it should be about 15" at idle. Also make sure the wastegate itself is tight at idle with that vacuum. If its not tight its either because there is no vacuum or the actuator diaphragm has a leak. There should be 26" out of the vac pump at the boost solenoid. You can also just tie the wastegate lever closed and see what kind of performance you have. Boost gauge one of the next mods?

You can compare the tach to GMTDScanTech RPM which comes off the CPS to see if the pulley size if good. Also, check the timing by running the TDCO learn procedure.

Put vac gauge on up near the solenoid Had 20# there. WG is tightly closed at idle to. I'll drive it around with scan tech hooked up in the next few days and see what I can see. I should have looked at the codes before the alt swap as I cleared them all when battery was disconnected.
Next planed mod is your (buddy's) MPC, but I want to drive it and fix whatever this waste gate code is first.

Do you have a boost gauge? The vaccuum system on my 95 worked well at idle. But the motor would build boost fine but under load the wastegate was constantly opening and boost would fall off. Thought that it was the solenoid because it was throwing a DTC and replaced it. Still had the same problem after replacing. Noticed the hard lines had become brittle and had cracked in several places. Idle the lines would hold fine. Under load with the rpms up the lines would open and suck air throwing open the wastegate and loosing boost. ended up cutting the cracked section out and replacing with rubber vac line of the right inner diameter. Didnt have a problem after

Thats a good suggestion. I did look at the line, but its hard to really tell their condition while mounted on the truck. I may just replace it and know its not the problem then.

OK going in a totally different direction now.
I just bought a 1995 Chevy W4000/Isuzu NPR box truck. It has a 4 cly diesel its a 3.9 IDI turbo intercooled engine. All mechanical.
The plan is to swap it into the Burban when the weather cools down in about a month. I expect 25+MPG in town and 30MPG highway.
Going to run the 4L80E behind it. Going to use the OptiShift.com controller on the trans. I happen to sell their products also, so if anyone needs one let me know. I'll get you the best price!
This is the one http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/2528959218.html I did not bring the camera today, but will tomorrow. The engine is strong, trans shifted good, truck drove nice.
I have a little storge shed that is about to fall down, guess what the new purpose for the alluminium box is going to be. I'll take it off the frame and set it on a foundation then keep the lawn mowers.......ect in it. Once I sell the engine out of the burb I should make out OK.

just read your thread again. if you need assistance, call me, 281 573 2068. remember, i'm in baytown.

Any idea how the weight of that 4 cyl compares to the 6.5?
785 lbs with accessories. See http://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-...t-swap-15.html Post #440,
manual for 4BD1-T gives the dry engine weight as 721 lbs. Peak efficiency is around 1800rpm, max power around 3000rpm.
Turning faster than that will do nothing but make noise and waste fuel. its easy to get 350,000 miles out of an isuzu in a very heavy truck.
http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/
The 4BD1 and 4BD1-T have oil coolers on the right side of the engine block.
Only the 4BD1-T has oil spray, piston cooling.

I read a little about this swap after reading this thread and it's highly recommended to use a overdrive ratio higher than what your trans has ohterwise you'll be over 2g and wasting fuel.

Maybe if you had a 2;73 rear it would be okay. I would look into this swap with more detail before jumping in with both feet.

I also don't think the trans will bolt up, but I could be wrong. Adapter no longer availabe.

Could be a different model engine than you have, but I would check.

I read a little about this swap after reading this thread and it's highly recommended to use a overdrive ratio higher than what your trans has ohterwise you'll be over 2g and wasting fuel.

Maybe if you had a 2;73 rear it would be okay. I would look into this swap with more detail before jumping in with both feet.

I also don't think the trans will bolt up, but I could be wrong. Adapter no longer availabe.

Could be a different model engine than you have, but I would check.
a gearvendor unit like i have would work. if all goes well, i will def consider this myself.

Great white posted the weight of a 6.5 the other day. I don't have time to search for that right now. My brother is waiting on me, were going to pick up the W4000 now.
As far as adapters go I really hope this guy http://www.isuzudieselswapper.com/ is still in business or I have to make my own. (that could be a good thing too)
My truck has 342 gears and turns 1600rpm (i think) at 60ish. The burban has 373's so obviously will be alittle higher, but should be right in the sweet spot.
Im looking forward to tearing into this thing, but really want to wait for it to cool off some first. Im curious if the bottom end is as massive as a Cummins 4bt/6bt. Judging by the weight I think it will be.

Just got back home. Forgot my camera, but took a bunch with my brothers. Now just gota wait for him to email them to me.
Anyway the truck was great, you have to remember this is a 1995 Chevy W4000 (exact same truck as a Isuzu NPR) with a full box on the back. About as aerodynamic as a parachute.
Engine is the 4BD2T, intercooler. Its a 3.9 liter. For the size of the truck I thought it has a small radiator. The plan is to use it on the burban that way it will be much easier to run the intercooler also. If the radiator is big enough to keep things cool on the W4000 it should be good to go in the Burban too.
It ran great the drive home was at 60mph, there at the last I got it up to 75mph. It is very tourqey (sp?) the turbo spools up intantly. Shifted through all the gears OD comes in at 56-57mph.
Tank was on fumes I put 8 gallons of diesel in it before we headed back that brought the gauge to just over a 1/4. In the 60 mile trip home it barly moved. Seems to be very stingy on fuel.
It has the p/s pump mounted on the back of the alt. Has an engine mounted LP with a hand primer pump, like an old Mercedes 300D. The Turbo is on driver side and IP on pass side.
Will post the pictures when I get them.

Back