• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ford F150 Diesel

I found a lot of old school car guys are astonished to learn 1/3 cars are leased from dealerships- not sold.

And then after that, 1/3 get re-leased. Then when the do sell, the people buying the 3 or sometimes 6 year old cars only end up with a 6 month to 1 year partial warranty. So no concearn is given to the 2nd or 3rd owner- and rightly so. I don't want a tv built based on what the guy at the garage sale looks for. I want what I want.

The days of the Ford wrench and cars coming with the tools they need were gone before we (most of us)were born. The days of a rig being made to work on at home is gone. Go to a car lot and after chasing off the salesman, just sit and watch how many people open the hood. If it is a performance car or a diesel truck, then yes. Otherwise, mostly no one cares. Turn key add gas weekly.

My serious wrenching days are long gone. So I will never have a lift. Hummer doesn’t need one, neither does the ‘43 Willy’s. Outside those rigs. I won’t spend 40 hours a year on other rigs. Wifey’s rig I will do the easy stuff, but the rest, I am friends with lots of mechanics from having been an honest tool man. They can earn their money back using the tools I sold em.

I found a lot of old school car guys are astonished to learn 1/3 cars are leased from dealerships- not sold.

And then after that, 1/3 get re-leased. Then when the do sell, the people buying the 3 or sometimes 6 year old cars only end up with a 6 month to 1 year partial warranty. So no concearn is given to the 2nd or 3rd owner- and rightly so. I don't want a tv built based on what the guy at the garage sale looks for. I want what I want.

The days of the Ford wrench and cars coming with the tools they need were gone before we (most of us)were born. The days of a rig being made to work on at home is gone. Go to a car lot and after chasing off the salesman, just sit and watch how many people open the hood. If it is a performance car or a diesel truck, then yes. Otherwise, mostly no one cares. Turn key add gas weekly.

My serious wrenching days are long gone. So I will never have a lift. Hummer doesn’t need one, neither does the ‘43 Willy’s. Outside those rigs. I won’t spend 40 hours a year on other rigs. Wifey’s rig I will do the easy stuff, but the rest, I am friends with lots of mechanics from having been an honest tool man. They can earn their money back using the tools I sold em.

Unfortunately there's more to so many cars being leased. There's a large portion of people out there who lease so the car doesn't get counted as an asset. Think government aid fraud. They can't get assistance if they have more than a few grand in asset's(not counting your home), so they lease a car so they can drive a new car, but not lose there benefit's(learned this one from the woman who did my social security application for my medicare. That's right, a GOVERNMENT employee was telling me how to DEFRAUD the system).

If I am correct on the newer Ford trucks the cab has to be removed to do serious work like change engines? Correct me if I am wrong.

There all going that way. There's many put there who pull the cab on the duramax to do engine work. But Ford has designed them so the cab can be off in no time. There's people out there who pull the cab's in there backyard now with boards, chains, and tall trees. Or pull the fenders off and go at it that way.

I think its a bad deal the way several of these auto companies are down sizing cubic inches going to turbos and all that stuff. Honda just did it on the Accord, they dropped a proven V-6 and went to a Turbo 4 banger. Their trying to maintain the power and get the best fuel mileage that they can. I understand they are under a lot of pressure from the feds to meet certain fuel mileage requirements.

Like you said Ferm, when that stuff breaks its going to cost out the yeng yang. Majority of the people can't even start to work on that stuff in the back yard, its not like the old days. Car repair places (mainly dealerships) while be smiling from ear to ear when a person comes through the door.

You can thank comrad odummer and his unrealistic MPG laws he signed in. Yes the rules were relaxed some, but the OEM's know it could happen again at any time, so they're staying prepared this time. And it's not the 1st time this has happened, remember back to tge 80's and all the turbo's Chrysler used on almost everything, Ford with the T-bird and some other's, or GM with the Grand National, Syclone pickup's and SUV's, Trans Am, and some others. It's a case of what is old is now new again.

Yea I would look at an alternative brand of vehicle, but you know I am afraid all of the manufactures are going to drink the kool aid :rolleyes: and go turbo with all their stuff, hope not.:mad:

It's just the 80's coming back. The manufacturers can't meet CAFE standards any other way, so now they have to push volumetric efficiency up to meet standards.

I don’t mind the addition of turbo to little gassers. I think it’s way overdue.

Think about the move in power from the 6.5 to the newest dmax lp5 power house. They froze the lmk in 09 or 10 option because most consumers wanted power not mpg.

In the cars the mpg is still a big ticket item. Everyone wanting powerful cars is going the retro muscle car choises. So to outdo the competition most mfrs went the other way on grocery getters. And most people don’t work on their own rigs either. So consumers don’t care if it is “lift dependent”.

When I was a MAC TOOLS guy for a few years, ai went to the biggest collection of car dealerships in the world- Valley auto mall. I also went to tons of regular mechanic shops. I grew up under a hood, not under a lift. So I would talk to guys (and a few gals) about lift vs ground. It seems if you started working on rigs before 90’s, ground is preferred. Almost everyone that started wrenching during or after then passionately hates not working on a lift.

Up to the 80’s, cars were designed to have most work performed under the hood. Once the car lift was not a freak of nature tool for a shop to own, mfrs finally made a bunch more accessible from below. Which since the lift came out in the 20’s - that’s quite a long time. Back in the 90’s my truck equipment shop leased a yard that had a working 1950’s installed in ground lift.- kinda cool, but horrible access.

Rv manufactures for years made untie that the front of the body had to be disassembled for major repairs. I bought a 80 something for the 454/th400 that had been sitting for years due to a $5,000 cost of labor to replace a waterpump.

@RI Chevy Silveradoman Did you and the wife choose to switch car being leased based on needing a lift to work on it, how accessible spark plugs and belt swaps are? Or was the dollar to option ratio a bigger factor?

2-3 years, hell 4-5 years isn’t enough time for most cars to need belts, hoses, plugs, or about anything. Most cars need 2-3 alignments before tuneups now.

As for lifting the cab, yes Ford designed it- by request of the majority of mechanics. Ford guys could pull a
Truck in and have a cab up in 15-20 minutes. Then do massive work really easy. About 5 minutes extra to reset it vs lift. Only reason dodge doesn’t is the height of the cummins. But after their plugging turbo fiasco, a huge push for it was made by mechanics.

Think you mean LMM, GM never made a LMK. GM and Ford went with DEF in 11 while Dodge fought it. Many feared the extra components, and Dodge tried to use it as a selling point that they didn't have it in 11, but it bit Dodge because without DEF and the extra exhaust aftertreatment, there MPG's were down by 15-20%, and had a hprrible rash of DPF's plugging and repair cost's which forced them to go to DEF and such around 13/14 in all diesel's since they used it in there commercial sales truck's with less trouble than the ones without it.

And turbo's are here for at least awhile, again. I'm wondering howlongbefore twin turbo's with bypass valves become more popular. There's a few that have started using them, and are seeing huge gains. You can have a small turbo that boost's at idle for immidiate throttle response, then drop it out of the system at cruise for better MPG's, or do the reverse under load and drop it out and hand it off to a larger turbo. Volvo has been using similiar technology with superchargers that are run on electrically activated clutches. Then again, this technology has been around for decades as Detroit Diesel used it back in the 80's on there high output marine engines(how else do you get 500+hp out of a 6-92). So there really shouldn't be alot to fear as much of this isn't new technology, it's just being refined and advanced technologically, and enhanced with electronic controls. Variable displacement is going to be next up along with camless engine's as both technologies are being proven and ironed out now for several years.

And I started out working on the ground, I'm back to worki,g on the ground again as my shop only has about a 9 foot tall roof, but I sure do miss having a lift, and I've seriously considered putting a lift outside where my shed now sits(a lift would be a much better use for a concreteslab than a cheap storage shed).

@THEFERMANATOR on point as always.
But if not familiar with the LMK diesel, check into it. They had the set up working quite well. But the whole economy issue at the time meant they figured wrong time to release and people wouldn’t make the added investment at purchase. They were expecting a massive $8k premium for the LMK.

While this article, http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...-4-5l-duramax-lmk-v-8-diesel-make-a-comeback/ , shows the numbers of 310/510- GM said actually it was 350/550 out of the little guy.

Another game changer option that imo GM missed an opportunity by passing up.

If they were to ran it through production, long term run cost was expected to be negated by year 4. So imagine a diesel upgrade at no extra cost. But GM keeps getting in pissing contests instead of learning from their past sucess of things like the small block chevy-SMH.

@THEFERMANATOR on point as always.
But if not familiar with the LMK diesel, check into it. They had the set up working quite well. But the whole economy issue at the time meant they figured wrong time to release and people wouldn’t make the added investment at purchase. They were expecting a massive $8k premium for the LMK.

While this article, http://www.trucktrend.com/features/...-4-5l-duramax-lmk-v-8-diesel-make-a-comeback/ , shows the numbers of 310/510- GM said actually it was 350/550 out of the little guy.

Another game changer option that imo GM missed an opportunity by passing up.

If they were to ran it through production, long term run cost was expected to be negated by year 4. So imagine a diesel upgrade at no extra cost. But GM keeps getting in pissing contests instead of learning from their past sucess of things like the small block chevy-SMH.
Ok, I never seen it because it never went into production. I always called it the 4.5L baby max. Tony Burkhard ended up with most of them, but nobody ever really said what happened to them. And after all that investment with it sitting on the shelf, they designed an all new 3.0l inline 6 for there 1500 diesel. Not to mention the 3.0l Fiat that Dodge is using design was also funded by GM for use in the Escalade in Europe, but they released all rights to it and gave it to Fiat because they felt it was a losing engine(see how that worked out for Jeep and Dodge).

Also of note, the Ford 6.7L was largely copied off of the 4.5L baby max. GM even tried to sue them for stealing there intelectual property, but it was thrown out because they said GM shelved the engine, never put it into production, or file patents on it.

Last edited:
Any hard evidence of ford copying gm/"stealing the design?"

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
GM was the 1st to do the reverse intake exhaust port design. The 4.5l had the exhaust come out in the valley instead of the intake going in there. Low and behold Ford copied the design basically to a T with the 6.7l. It was a revolutionary design change that GM came up with, and after the 4.5L was shelved it showed up in production in a Ford.

Funny thing about intellectual property and property rights. . . Either register it, or expect others to legitimately make it their own.

Semi-related is the Titanic wreck. The guy who found it deliberately did not file salvage rights in an attempt to keep the location a secret out of respect for the souls lost. Somebody else in turn found the wreck (aided by the work of the original discovery), filed salvage rights, and the first guy was shut-out.

Another example that eventually worked for the inventor was UnderArmor. The inventor was too broke at the time to register the material and did eventually register it some time after it was developed. He got lucky that nobody else noticed and he was the first to file.

I personally thought the rpms were too high for a diesel. Looked like it was running at 4000 rpms at times. Not torquey enough for me.

I personally thought the rpms were too high for a diesel. Looked like it was running at 4000 rpms at times. Not torquey enough for me.

Not good enough results for me to pay $68,000 for a truck like that. Those guys claimed the ECO Boost pulled the hill better, so what does a guy gain other than maybe fuel mileage maybe?

Yea, mileage was something like that, Ford claims 22 city / 30 hwy, combined 25 for the 4X2 truck.

Motor Trend did a test, they were not impressed with its towing, even with just 6500 Pounds behind it. They talked about a lot of wide open throttle and not much reserve power to pass anything on the road, if one needed to over take a slower vehicle.

Will L just saw that and started drooling, but when he saw the price he threw up and said a few choice words...…:mad::D

No all jokes aside you noticed it had a Duramax in it and very powerful at that. Why can't GM or someone actually make one minus fancy options that is affordable and has a Diesel option?

Hummers/ hmmwv have always been aluminum bodies. The roof and doors steel.

Mil spec is the name of a guy that used to be (sometimes still pops up) on the hummer network forums. Wonder if that is his business rebuilding hummers with dmax.
Factory was 6.2 then 6.5 with turbo coming in as option 95. Went till 04. Nothing in 05 except left over 04s. Then 06 was the Alpha-H1 with dmax.

While that price is stupid high, he may get it with patience. Many sell over seas for rediculous prices.

Back