• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ford F150 Diesel

The part of that that caught my eye was almost $69K for a F150 king ranch diesel. GOOD GOD!

Back to my point about whether the diesel premium is worth it compared to the high level of complexity that it now has.

And if my source is correct, there is over 1M (Yes, million) lines of code that runs a modern vehicle.

So all of those 'gotta-have' glitz things like navigation, phone connectivity, TPMS, and Internet connectivity ramp up the price a lot more than just the parts.

Because there are people stupid enough to pay it.

Sort-of. Most people only focus on the monthly payment and not the big picture (even though they have to sign disclaimers that they know the 'all-in' cost after interest payments).

Back to my point about whether the diesel premium is worth it compared to the high level of complexity that it now has.

And if my source is correct, there is over 1M (Yes, million) lines of code that runs a modern vehicle.

So all of those 'gotta-have' glitz things like navigation, phone connectivity, TPMS, and Internet connectivity ramp up the price a lot more than just the parts.

Sort-of. Most people only focus on the monthly payment and not the big picture (even though they have to sign disclaimers that they know the 'all-in' cost after interest payments).
The thing is, the eco boost is just as complex imo. The extra cost of the diesel is for the def system and exhaust treatment. The ecoboost is a stout engine, but it is a complex engine that has proven itself expensive to fix when it breaks, and just as complex. With gas engines going dfi, the complexity differences have narrowed as both engines use direct injection injectors, high pressure fuel system's, engine driven high pressure pumps, if anythi,g the gas engines are more complex as they also have ignition system's where diesel's do not. Gas engines aint what they used to be anymore.

The thing is, the eco boost is just as complex imo. The extra cost of the diesel is for the def system and exhaust treatment. The ecoboost is a stout engine, but it is a complex engine that has proven itself expensive to fix when it breaks, and just as complex. With gas engines going dfi, the complexity differences have narrowed as both engines use direct injection injectors, high pressure fuel system's, engine driven high pressure pumps, if anythi,g the gas engines are more complex as they also have ignition system's where diesel's do not. Gas engines aint what they used to be anymore.

I think its a bad deal the way several of these auto companies are down sizing cubic inches going to turbos and all that stuff. Honda just did it on the Accord, they dropped a proven V-6 and went to a Turbo 4 banger. Their trying to maintain the power and get the best fuel mileage that they can. I understand they are under a lot of pressure from the feds to meet certain fuel mileage requirements.

Like you said Ferm, when that stuff breaks its going to cost out the yeng yang. Majority of the people can't even start to work on that stuff in the back yard, its not like the old days. Car repair places (mainly dealerships) while be smiling from ear to ear when a person comes through the door.

Just buy the regular naturally aspirated version on the car. Then you gave no worries. Lol

That's probably what I would do if it was available, but believe it or not looks like with the Honda Accord your stuck with 1.5L or 2.0L turbo engine unless you get the Hybrid engine and it is normally aspirated.

Not that I am going to buy an Accord but I was just noticing all this stuff about them. I have owned some of those in the past.

I would simply switch brands then. Their loss. Shame on them.
My wife leases cars every 2 or 3 years. We leased Honda Accords for 12 years. When we went to renew, they were super high on their prices. We switched to Hyundai Sonata and saved $50 a month. Simple straightforward car.
Unfortunately the American cars can't compete in the leases we looked at.

I don’t mind the addition of turbo to little gassers. I think it’s way overdue.

Think about the move in power from the 6.5 to the newest dmax lp5 power house. They froze the lmk in 09 or 10 option because most consumers wanted power not mpg.

In the cars the mpg is still a big ticket item. Everyone wanting powerful cars is going the retro muscle car choises. So to outdo the competition most mfrs went the other way on grocery getters. And most people don’t work on their own rigs either. So consumers don’t care if it is “lift dependent”.

When I was a MAC TOOLS guy for a few years, ai went to the biggest collection of car dealerships in the world- Valley auto mall. I also went to tons of regular mechanic shops. I grew up under a hood, not under a lift. So I would talk to guys (and a few gals) about lift vs ground. It seems if you started working on rigs before 90’s, ground is preferred. Almost everyone that started wrenching during or after then passionately hates not working on a lift.

Up to the 80’s, cars were designed to have most work performed under the hood. Once the car lift was not a freak of nature tool for a shop to own, mfrs finally made a bunch more accessible from below. Which since the lift came out in the 20’s - that’s quite a long time. Back in the 90’s my truck equipment shop leased a yard that had a working 1950’s installed in ground lift.- kinda cool, but horrible access.

Rv manufactures for years made untie that the front of the body had to be disassembled for major repairs. I bought a 80 something for the 454/th400 that had been sitting for years due to a $5,000 cost of labor to replace a waterpump.

@RI Chevy Silveradoman Did you and the wife choose to switch car being leased based on needing a lift to work on it, how accessible spark plugs and belt swaps are? Or was the dollar to option ratio a bigger factor?

2-3 years, hell 4-5 years isn’t enough time for most cars to need belts, hoses, plugs, or about anything. Most cars need 2-3 alignments before tuneups now.

As for lifting the cab, yes Ford designed it- by request of the majority of mechanics. Ford guys could pull a
Truck in and have a cab up in 15-20 minutes. Then do massive work really easy. About 5 minutes extra to reset it vs lift. Only reason dodge doesn’t is the height of the cummins. But after their plugging turbo fiasco, a huge push for it was made by mechanics.

No. When you lease it is like renting the car for a period of time. When time is up you give the car back. Get another one.
I have only done oil changes and tire rotations. Cars only get to about 36K on the odometer in the 3 years.
Wife writes off the cost to her business. Works out well for us.
I am old school. I do everything from the ground. Although I wish I had access to a lift at times. Lol

Back