• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ford F150 Diesel

Got to mention Jeeps and AMC cars also, I drove a few of them that had the 258 CI, Inline 6. They were pretty strong running engines for what they were, nothing like a V-8 though. I imagine there were people that bored them out and built them up a little also.

My brother had an AMC IN-LINE 6. Couldn't kill it.
I have to mention that there are some strong Japanese 6's as well. The ones in the land cruisers. But they had some tough fuel mileage numbers.

Never did understand why the I-6's were replaced by v6's unless somebody is coming up with a cost savings from a shorter engine bay.
You answered your own question, it was all about packaging. With front wheel drive cars you can't really fit an inline 6, but a v6 can be fit.

Friggin bean-counters . . . They can take the pleasure out of anything . . .

Am sure that had the engineers been given / allowed to do the task, they would have figured out how to make that work. Makes me wonder the cost savings of a smaller engine bay versus the extra expense of adding damping to the motor and frame for an offset configuration . . .

Often I am motoring along on the highway traveling within 5 to 10 MPH of the speed limit, minding my own business when here comes a Prius or a Subaru hauling a#$ by me like a bat out of H#LL. Usually they have the usual bumper stickers like coexist, love is joy, no fracking, save the earth or something to that effect.
Yea those cars are all over the place here. . .

They spread here too.

I suspect that this is due from the killing-off of their natural predator and noticed that once the VW diesel was gone, Prius drivers suddenly multiplied and were no longer afraid to look over their shoulders for the 'cooler' car.

Got to mention Jeeps and AMC cars also, I drove a few of them that had the 258 CI, Inline 6. They were pretty strong running engines for what they were, nothing like a V-8 though. I imagine there were people that bored them out and built them up a little also.
It's called a poor man's stroker. Take a late model 4.0l block, drop in a 258 crank, 258 rods with 4.0l pistons, and you now have a 4.5l stump puller that will flat out surprise you. And the sound of a free breathing straight 6 is some SWEET music.

Will L, you mentioned the 231 CI V-6.

Ole country boy owns a towing and salvage yard business not far from me. Back when they had the local short track in the next town heck it was ⅓ of a mile track, every once and a while they would have a free for all race, last car standing deal. That towing company owner had a 231 V-6 Buick and he absolutely wore out most of the others, many had V-8's, he schooled them on some good ole driving with a V-6. I think usually he finished in the top 3 or 4 in those events.

Yeah, you could build that v6 strong and last for ever or send it singing at 8,500 rpm all day long.

A friend of mine that just moved away from
Boulder City to South America had a twin 231 boat. His under power ran at 8,300 with a turbo on each. I don’t know boats, but that sucker hauls and has been going for years.

I agree an inline 6 is better design and sounds way better. But yes a rumbly v8 for the win, every time! Music, plain and simple. I know but nch of guys that can hear an engine and go “sbc” or “bbf”. Yet to hear anyone go “dude! Listen to that sweet honda 4!”

Yet to hear anyone go “dude! Listen to that sweet honda 4!”

Ahhh . . . That reminds me of the by-product from eating re-fried beans :D

And that reminds me about an enjoyable moment last weekend.

Was at an intersection in a small town when one of those 'tweaked' 4-bangers decided to lay-into the throttle as the light turned green. Noticed that a Sheriff's cruiser was about to turn left at that same intersection until that thing let out its 'BBLLLAAAATTTT' and then the Sheriff suddenly decided to cut-off traffic to follow the bean-burner :) Not sure what the hurry was given the 25 mph speed limit and construction zone, but am guessing that the driver was about to get there a little late :D

I will have to admit, there is an Auto shop down the road from me and one of the kids has a Neon SRT-4 that will make you turn and look. Other than a V8 it is the best sounding little car I have ever heard! Wow I can't believe I just said this.. LOL

I will have to admit, there is an Auto shop down the road from me and one of the kids has a Neon SRT-4 that will make you turn and look. Other than a V8 it is the best sounding little car I have ever heard! Wow I can't believe I just said this.. LOL
Everybody stops to look when they hear an angry moth making noise...;-)

I'm curious to see what the F150 is capable of with the diesel. From what I have seen the tow rating is MUCH more than the RAM EcoDiesel is capable (measly 7,900 lbs fully dressed w/3.55 gears) of. MPG at 25 w/4x4 is similar to my RAM.

I previously had a F150 5.0L and unloaded was plenty of power, put a trailer behind it and I missed the Diesel/Big V8 performance.

I'm curious to see what the F150 is capable of with the diesel. From what I have seen the tow rating is MUCH more than the RAM EcoDiesel is capable (measly 7,900 lbs fully dressed w/3.55 gears) of. MPG at 25 w/4x4 is similar to my RAM.

I previously had a F150 5.0L and unloaded was plenty of power, put a trailer behind it and I missed the Diesel/Big V8 performance.

My son in Alaska just bought a 2016 K2500 with 25,000 miles and the Duramax and Allison transmixer. I too am curious how that will do under a load.

I'm curious to see what the F150 is capable of with the diesel.

Still not enough to sway me over a gasser in the same power range. Especially if the diesel motor is going to cost more to purchase. Ford is showing 2018 v6 gas motors of 3.5L at 470 '/# and the high output 3.5L at 510 '/#. Given the current generation diesel's level of complexity, the gasser arguably has the advantage.

When comparing economy figures, miles per gallon is one data point. But when it comes to bigger picture, total cost per mile for a diesel has to account for DEF (presuming that Ford's 3.0L TD will require it). Here again the gasser is arguably on equal footing (if not a slight advantage) as it is able to operate on fuel that costs less per gallon than diesel + DEF.

And toward pulling the load aspects, the tranny and its computer programming are key. Seems that both GM and Ford are now doing a good job in this area.

Still not enough to sway me over a gasser in the same power range. Especially if the diesel motor is going to cost more to purchase. Ford is showing 2018 v6 gas motors of 3.5L at 470 '/# and the high output 3.5L at 510 '/#. Given the current generation diesel's level of complexity, the gasser arguably has the advantage.

When comparing economy figures, miles per gallon is one data point. But when it comes to bigger picture, total cost per mile for a diesel has to account for DEF (presuming that Ford's 3.0L TD will require it). Here again the gasser is arguably on equal footing (if not a slight advantage) as it is able to operate on fuel that costs less per gallon than diesel + DEF.

And toward pulling the load aspects, the tranny and its computer programming are key. Seems that both GM and Ford are now doing a good job in this area.

I agree with all of this too, but IMO that 3.5L EcoBoost is just as complex as a Diesel now a days, I have seen crazy repair bills when they do have issues. I was test driving an F150 w/the 3.5 prior to purchasing my EcoDiesel, my truck was only $3K more than the F150 new, only reason I went to the darker side.

Back