• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2018 Ford F150 Diesel

I always understood that inline engines were better able to run higher RPM. Other factors usually determine RPM rather than configuration

You might just have something there my friend, as a teenager I never could never blow up a 1969 C-10 with a (3 on the tree) 250 CI inline 6 with 4:10 rear gears. Yea it got put to the test, I tore up the back roads in my area, amazing what a power slide you could do in 2nd gear...:D:smuggrin:

I had a friend with slant-6, I owned a 230 and two 250 straight 6. Also had a few 231 v6. I rebuilt a 230 and a 231- same bore and stroke. The inline had way more torque all lower rpm, and the v6 was higher hp and at a higher rpm. As for over all rpm, the v6 was good for 1500 rpm more.

There were other many variations of231 v6- one of the most successful engines ever made by any mfr. iirc it hits #5/6 on the world list.

The inline 6 always has to be a heavy block or vibration is easily felt. The gm 230, and 250 both had the normal versions made then heavy weight versions for the touring rigs that cared about vibration. Jeeps and such never got that- haha shake rattle &roll.

I’ll have to see if I can find a pic of the dodge d50 that I stuffed a 231 in. Radiator had to be in the bed.
0-60 in 2.1 seconds. 0-80 in 3.1- but never could hit 90 because of gearing it had- haha. My wife hated that truck...

On edit: just told her what ai was writing- said “rember the lil dodge with the v6 and radiator in ...”Oh God yes” she interrupts “how could I ever forget that... that thing!” Hahaha

In-line 6s are not very fuel efficient in gas form, but they do make good power.
I think back, the Dodge slant 6 was very stout. Couldn't kill them. They leaked oil a bit, but would run forever.
Only makes sense that an in-line 6 for a diesel motor should be a win/win if built properly. Extra bearings keep it smooth, long stroke give it decent power. Just gotta look out for fuel mileage. Plus the hoods gonna be longer. BUT easy to work on like the Cummins.
We shall see.

Inline 6's have no problems revving. An engines rpm band is more dependant on cylinder head port design and cam profile than anything else. Look back at the detroit diesel 6-71 and 6v-71. Both engines were the same bore, same stroke, same head design, same cam profile, same injectors, the only real difference was 1 engine was a v and the an inline, and they both made nearly identical dyno charts. An inline engine does have the advantage of being inherintly naturally balanced by design whereas a v engine has combistion occurri,g on 2 different planes which is going to create some imbalance.

This is an om606, and in stock trim they rev close to 5K out of an inline 6 diesel engine. Versions like this one can spin over 7K. It's not the engine co,figuration that dictates rpm range, it's the design.

However, comma, NOTHING sounds as good as a big horsepower V8 as far as I am concerned

True statement! I don't know when the first v-8 was produced, but who would have known that up until that time, an engine was just an engine, a tool, a machine to make work easier. Then, someone fired up a V-8 for the first time and the world knew that an engine can actually have a heartbeat, turn heads and make mortal men lust to have one, JUST for the sound, alone, if for no other reason. It's a combination that exclaims "I'm alive" like no other setup.

I-4? Nope. V-4? Nope. I-6? Nope. V-6? Nope. V-10? Nope. V-12? Eh, it's ok, but still just not it. There is, honestly, no better sounding engine than the V-8, that I am aware of.

Romanticizing engine audibles over.

I'm interested in the numbers, as well. A good mileage little truck is really in order. I keep our GTP around due to mileage alone. It's not too handy, aside from that and it's not the easiest to get into, either.

Seeing as this thread is not looking like it is going back on track . . . ;)

Inline 6's are definitely smooth. Drove a 2.5L gasser and 8.1L diesel where both were inline 6's and nice :)

Never did understand why the I-6's were replaced by v6's unless somebody is coming up with a cost savings from a shorter engine bay.

From what I understand, the only thing more smooth than an inline 6 is a v12.

It was mentioned about the Jeep inline 6, remember the 258 CI, HA, HA, :D:smuggrin:, yelp I gave a few of them a hard time. They were pretty dang tough engines for sure. I could tell you a few true stories about my experiences with those out on the roads and off road also.

I have certainly had my share of I6s in my time. Starting with an old 'splash and hope' stove bolt 216 in a 1951, 235s in a 53 and a 54, a 230 in a 66 van I replaced with a 250, another 230 in a 63, a 292 in a 69 C10 that got replaced with a 250 and then a 350 replaced it and ended my inline 6 days.

Seeing as this thread is not looking like it is going back on track . . . ;)

Inline 6's are definitely smooth. Drove a 2.5L gasser and 8.1L diesel where both were inline 6's and nice :)

Never did understand why the I-6's were replaced by v6's unless somebody is coming up with a cost savings from a shorter engine bay.

From what I understand, the only thing more smooth than an inline 6 is a v12.
You answered your own question, it was all about packaging. With front wheel drive cars you can't really fit an inline 6, but a v6 can be fit. It's also the reason VW designed and built the VR6 engine design. The 12 degree V design allowed for both engines positives in one design.

Back