• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 Honda CR-V using oil

Toyota rust to hell here in Ohio. I personally will never own one because of that. Honda Builds a superior car in every way in my option. I've been under the hood on plenty of both and I've always preferred Hondas engineering and longevity,
Everything rusts in Ohio.

The 2 most recent oil checks showed overfull.
I sucked oil out through the dipstick tube and it was over again, not very many miles later.

Any recommendations on what to buy?

Looking for a small 4x4. 30 mpg. 4400 lb tow rating.

What vehicles have the best warranty?

We're not much for buying new vehicles. But we haven't found any newer vehiclicles that don't have some sort of issue to look out for.

If we went older, I'd be satisfied with something like our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. If it was rust free.

We thought we would be safe with the Honda when we bought it.

What vehicles have the longest/best warranty?

Sounds like the oil filter antidrainback valve may be no good.

I suggest you simply buy new. Every used vehicle out has been pushed longer due to availability problems of new.

Buddy's 2007 3.8L Dodge minivan has drank oil since new as the rings may have been installed upside down at the factory. It's got 230K on it and he don't give a damn about checking the oil or changing it. Adds oil when it sounds funny or when the oil light comes on.

As I cut open the last oil filter that was on for like 3 years (after a prior Tear-o-lator I cut open was torn media) The engine is on borrowed time. Part numbers in the oil filter. It smokes. It still runs and drives though.

There is no TCO left in a Diesel. It's also $1.00 a gal more than gasoline here. 30 MPG implies you would at least care about TCO. Don't bother with a new Diesel. And good luck with the stop/start krap. Make sure you understand it and if/how it can be eliminated before you sign on the dotted line.

Restore is cheaper than many brands of oil- Throw it in there.
Anything anyone owns that is over 100,000 miles should get it.

Much of the oil burning can be undo by a catch can. Get the provent knock off but get the real filter. I get you want it gone- but you want amazing mpg, low cost, high reliability, and ability to tow on occasion, and not new. My wife wanted someone that could fix the car, fix the house, good lookin and wealthy. So I fix cars...
pick what you want that is most important or get 2 rigs to do it.

Get an old pickup to tow that gets 17 mpg and buy alysaa malanos tesla cheap for mpg

Restore is cheaper than many brands of oil- Throw it in there.
Anything anyone owns that is over 100,000 miles should get it.

Much of the oil burning can be undo by a catch can. Get the provent knock off but get the real filter. I get you want it gone- but you want amazing mpg, low cost, high reliability, and ability to tow on occasion, and not new. My wife wanted someone that could fix the car, fix the house, good lookin and wealthy. So I fix cars...
pick what you want that is most important or get 2 rigs to do it.

Get an old pickup to tow that gets 17 mpg and buy alysaa malanos tesla cheap for mpg
I think I hit more on your wife's list than you did. :cigar:

The 2 most recent oil checks showed overfull.
I sucked oil out through the dipstick tube and it was over again, not very many miles later.

Any recommendations on what to buy?

Looking for a small 4x4. 30 mpg. 4400 lb tow rating.

What vehicles have the best warranty?

We're not much for buying new vehicles. But we haven't found any newer vehiclicles that don't have some sort of issue to look out for.

If we went older, I'd be satisfied with something like our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. If it was rust free.

We thought we would be safe with the Honda when we bought it.

What vehicles have the longest/best warranty?
Toyota Rav4? my Sister in law and neighbor both have one. Neighbors is 97 with 560k miles. Paint is shot but thing has been dead nuts reliable for him. sister in law has 2010 with 250k miles still running just fine. only major repairs were an alternator and battery. If I was in the market for small 4wd, etc thats definitely where I'd be looking. Wife's parents have a 2017 crv 2wd had a lot of little issues but no oil consumption issues yet (only 60k miles).

Toyota Rav4? my Sister in law and neighbor both have one. Neighbors is 97 with 560k miles. Paint is shot but thing has been dead nuts reliable for him. sister in law has 2010 with 250k miles still running just fine. only major repairs were an alternator and battery. If I was in the market for small 4wd, etc thats definitely where I'd be looking. Wife's parents have a 2017 crv 2wd had a lot of little issues but no oil consumption issues yet (only 60k miles).
Our oil issues didn't start until about 80,000 miles.

When I searched the RAV4 I didn't see anything for a tow package - maybe 2000 lbs?

We're willing to buy an older vehicle to get the tow rating and fuel economy combo we want. But it has to be rust free.

Our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD would meet our wants, if the rockers weren't falling off.

We were looking new, because we have to trade the Honda in, can't sell it as is.

My wife has some sort of aftermarket warranty she bought, but I have no idea what it is or who it's from.

I had asked her to get her money back on that, to no no avail.

I guess I need to investigate that option as well.

First I would have to get our Jeep's front brakes done.

Right now I have to figure out where the level plug is on the rear differential on the 1975 Ford Backhoe. Trying to get to see the model number this morning. It's stamped in the rough cast area, behind the loader frame and hard to see.

From what I have seen the longest Manufacturer warranty out there is Hyundai. 5YR/60K Bumper/Bumper, 10YR/100K Powertrain, 7YR/UNL Corrosion. Not sure how easy their "process" is when warranty work is needed? Kia seems to come with the next longest.

In that MPG you need a compact SUV. Things like a Hyundai Tucson, Kia Sportage, Toyota Rav, Nissan Rogue, Mazda CX5, Mitsunishi Outlander, etc. Not sure the tow ratings on these units but MPG is right where you are looking.

My only experience has been with Kia, and Toyota. Would not recommend Kia (mech failures, stranded 2x), I had no issues with my Toyota (mine was a nice southern gem).

From what I have seen the longest Manufacturer warranty out there is

Here is where GM shot themselves in the foot. (As have the rest of the Big 2 or 3 in some sort of collusion.) Used to have 100K powertrain on everything Gasoline or Diesel. Now it's only 60K on gasoline engine stuff. Simple math of cost of extended warranty is how much they took away and forced "US" to pay additional dealer finance "PROFIT" for the privilege of buying a warranty ... Warranty that gets "forgotten" during vehicle trade in to the next owner...

After reading about GM's inability to get a Rube Goldberg timing chain to last, well, you can see the customer's need for a warranty and GM's Beancounter CHEAP desire to not offer one.

Making it easier to abandon one's desire to stay with a domestic Big Three brand. Esp. since GM is importing Red China made vehicles now. "So what Diffrence Does It make (The logo on the grill), Now?"

Here is where GM shot themselves in the foot. (As have the rest of the Big 2 or 3 in some sort of collusion.) Used to have 100K powertrain on everything Gasoline or Diesel. Now it's only 60K on gasoline engine stuff. Simple math of cost of extended warranty is how much they took away and forced "US" to pay additional dealer finance "PROFIT" for the privilege of buying a warranty ... Warranty that gets "forgotten" during vehicle trade in to the next owner...

After reading about GM's inability to get a Rube Goldberg timing chain to last, well, you can see the customer's need for a warranty and GM's Beancounter CHEAP desire to not offer one.

Making it easier to abandon one's desire to stay with a domestic Big Three brand. Esp. since GM is importing Red China made vehicles now. "So what Diffrence Does It make (The logo on the grill), Now?"

That's one the reasons we bought a Ford F-250 instead of GM. I don't like buying chinese

How small a vehicle does the mini duramax come in?

We could do a small 4 door truck. S10 sized or smaller

Haven't found any small SUVs with a tow rating like our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD.

Doesn't seem like anyone is making what went to buy.

A Volkswagen Touareg might fill the bill.

Going to change the oil filter in the Honda a little later.

After about 100 miles the oil level was still the same

Many people are mad about vw cheating the emissions. So after owners get the corrected program, mpg goes does as does power.
I question if the lifespan of the engine will change as well. I know anything I work moderately hard has the engine last longer if I get the work done at 90% rather than 100% throttle...

I don’t fault vw for giving customers a better product in real life and fake in the computer sheet.

Many people are mad about vw cheating the emissions. So after owners get the corrected program, mpg goes does as does power.
I question if the lifespan of the engine will change as well. I know anything I work moderately hard has the engine last longer if I get the work done at 90% rather than 100% throttle...

I don’t fault vw for giving customers a better product in real life and fake in the computer sheet.
If I had one that had not been "fixed" it would be a keeper

As I said before, your only real option to consider is the 4Runner. It is bullet proof and will tow 5,000 lbs. The only criteria it does not meet is 30 mpg, but you’re delusional there. Only pregnant roller skates or hybrids see 30 mpg and they can’t do the towing.

The recent inflated fuel prices are short term event. One should not base a long term vehicle purchase on such a short term event. During COVID the herd ran out and bought EVs because of high fuel cost. I’ve been preaching here that the cost to charge an EV is just the marginal cost. The real cost is the depreciation and those EV buyers will find out the hard way.

As I said before, your only real option to consider is the 4Runner. It is bullet proof and will tow 5,000 lbs. The only criteria it does not meet is 30 mpg, but you’re delusional there. Only pregnant roller skates or hybrids see 30 mpg and they can’t do the towing.

The recent inflated fuel prices are short term event. One should not base a long term vehicle purchase on such a short term event. During COVID the herd ran out and bought EVs because of high fuel cost. I’ve been preaching here that the cost to charge an EV is just the marginal cost. The real cost is the depreciation and those EV buyers will find out the hard way.
Our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD has the towing capacity and gets 22 - 26 mpg. But it's rusty.

Actually, if it had not needed a timing belt, when we found ourselves in need of a small economical vehicle a couple years ago, we would have run it and never bought the Honda.
The truck wasn't fun to drive in the Chitcago traffic and didn't fit in the parking garage downtown.

The outdated power train is why it lasts so long. No direct fuel injection. No 10 speed transmissions. No small turbo changed engine. You want state of the art and you lose reliability.

So despite the oft quoted/linked article, the Toyota 4Runner is still the top selling SUV in the U.S.

Back