• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 Honda CR-V using oil

I get that, but you don't have first hand experience of what vehicles last in the Midwest like I do. Im not trying to be a dick, but im more of an expert on this subject then you are.

4runners up here will have zero rust on the body and the frame will literally be rusting in half. See it all time. There is a good amount of cars and trucks that do the same thing up here. The list of vehicles i would own is extremely small. Fluid film can help but most shops don't do a good enough job getting it INSIDE the frame. Plus you have reapply it once a year. It will wash off on areas that get hit hard from water/snow on the underside. I touch up my wife's honda every fall. I pulled all the fender liners and splash shields off. Think I put close to 3 gallons on that car initially.

Personally i would never buy a new car when you can get a certified used car for alot cheaper and still have a factory warranty. Our Honda was 3 years old with 30k on it when we got it. Since its certified used it carried the factory warranty. I always stress to people the importance of buying a certified used car if your not buying a new one.

Not keeping a car for more than 5 years!? Personally I keep them till I can fix them anymore. I expect to get over 15 years out of our Honda. My tahoe is over 20 and has been a daily driver in Ohio its whole life.

There is nothing wrong with buying a used car up here if you stay within a few years of the current model year. Which most certified used cars are. If you want some older then obviously I would look out of state. Or find a place selling "southern " vehicles. Just have to be careful as many have been wrecked, fixed and resold up here.
Now days, you also have to look for flood vehicles more than you used to

This is a picture of the wet spot on the left side.

That's all the farther I got today.

I haven't figured out where the oil is coming from yet.

Broke a piece of plastic trying to get one of the 2 M6x1 screws out of a C clip.

Something else to fix.IMG_20221210_162020.jpg

What about the Toyota Highlander?
That seems like it might fill the bill. Along with a VW Touareg TDI and a couple others.

I like the full frame on the 4 runner, but I don't LL k we the mpg's. That might slow the rest of the family down in borrowing a vehicle though.

Diesel's more expensive, but we keep diesel here.

It's a pia to get fuel at a gas station. I don't like using my credit card at gas stations.

As much as it pains me, I'm thinking about running road diesel in everything to eliminate the 300 gallon off road diesel tank.

I bought a Gates version of the Spooler valve for like $89. Figured that Gates was a good brand.

Torques specs are 16 ft lbs for the bolts.

Looks like this is the one you need:

If want to be overly cautious, they recommend you use Hondabond sealant around the outside of the seal:

I'm not totally clear on replacing the spooler.

I don't see any leaking externally by the spooler.

Should I change it anyway?

Could it still be a source of part of our aggravation, even though I'm not seeing external leakage?

The car is sitting there with the under engine splash guard removed. Oil sample done, Ready for oil change and whatever else.

If it's still recommended to do the spooler, I will order the parts.

Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Oil sample said 2.8% gasoline.

I'm sure it may have been higher. We added close to 4 quarts between the changes.

Added the Rislone we had left from the Toro - maybe a cup - and bought a bottle of 4 cylinder Restore. To add when we check the oil after running it after when we get it outside.

Does anybody know if the Rislone and the Restore are compatible?

Hate to exacerbate our problem now.

I really hate shopping and this'll put us in a pinch. We have 2 payments now and really don't want a third. Don't see anyway to get out of this without trading. It's not sellable. At least we got 40,000 miles out of it.

Hopefully the Restore does some good. I can't see us doing anything until after New Years

Toyota Highlander tow capacity 5,000 lbs.

I don't own one, but my family owns three of them, all of them are white in color.

Here is how it goes, hang on this might get long winded. Years ago my mom bought one it probably was a 2016 model. She drove it for a while and then decided to buy herself a new Toyota Avalon. Being that dad had a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and there were just two of them they decided that they needed to get rid of one vehicle. They gave the low mileage Toyota Highlander to my sister's daughter, since she was driving a high mileage Honda CRV. Mom drove the Avalon for a while and decided she wanted a newer Avalon, so she trades and gets 2019 Avalon. The 2019 was a dang nice car, I got to drive it when we went places together. Well, mom drove the 2019 Avalon for a while and finally just came out and said I dont like that new Avalon, I like the Toyota Highlanders better. Ok, so there they go, her and dad go see their favorite Toyota salesman at the Toyota place. They trade the 2019 Avalon for a loaded 2019 Highlander. Mom said she can get in and out of the Highlander better and likes it. She still loves the Highlander, I just took it in for a 30000 mile service the other day.

Ok, I have talked about 2 of the Highlanders my sister has the third one, it's probably a 2016 or 2017 model, don't know for sure. It has 70000 or more miles on it.

I have driven moms Highlanders hundreds of miles on 600 mile trips and when we go out to eat together. I am the designated driver since I'm younger I suppose. Nope, their not drunk when I drive them. The Highlander has lots of power and will get out of harm's way in a hurry. They drive and ride great for a SUV. Fuel mileage is in the 20s, I cant remember what it was on that 600 mile trip, seem like it was 26 mpg or better according to the computer, I never did a hand calculation on mileage. All three Highlanders are AWD, but I have never had the pleasure of driving one in the snow. To my knowledge, out of the three, there has been no major issues that I know of other than some kind of recall on mom's 2019, something about the fuel system.. I took it to the dealer and got it fixed, but can't remember the details.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to purchase a Toyota Highlander. Their a solid vehicle for sure. I would think that it could tow something pretty good, I dont know about 5000 pounds. Power wise it could probably pull it, it's the stopping part that might concern me.

My wife's vehicle is a 2013 Acura RDX, AWD, V6. It has about 69000 miles on it and has been a great vehicle so far. It will haul the mail as they say, handles like a dream and it is capable of 27 mpg or better on the open road. I have driven it in deep snow before, it performs well. If you ask me which one I like best, I would take the Acura over the Highlander, because it's sportier, performance wise. I dont think the RDX has a high tow rating, plus the new ones have a dam turbo 4 banger. I've driven the new ones, they have the power, but had to go turbo to match the V6. Pisses me off about these car companies going turbo on small engines to get power and MPG. Heck, did you know that GM is putting a Turbo, 2.7 Liter, 4 banger in the half ton trucks now? The Acura MDX still has the great V6, it's bigger than the RDX and costs more.

Sorry about the long post, I just had to put my input into it.

I don't own one, but my family owns three of them, all of them are white in color.

Here is how it goes, hang on this might get long winded. Years ago my mom bought one it probably was a 2016 model. She drove it for a while and then decided to buy herself a new Toyota Avalon. Being that dad had a 2017 Honda Ridgeline and there were just two of them they decided that they needed to get rid of one vehicle. They gave the low mileage Toyota Highlander to my sister's daughter, since she was driving a high mileage Honda CRV. Mom drove the Avalon for a while and decided she wanted a newer Avalon, so she trades and gets 2019 Avalon. The 2019 was a dang nice car, I got to drive it when we went places together. Well, mom drove the 2019 Avalon for a while and finally just came out and said I dont like that new Avalon, I like the Toyota Highlanders better. Ok, so there they go, her and dad go see their favorite Toyota salesman at the Toyota place. They trade the 2019 Avalon for a loaded 2019 Highlander. Mom said she can get in and out of the Highlander better and likes it. She still loves the Highlander, I just took it in for a 30000 mile service the other day.

Ok, I have talked about 2 of the Highlanders my sister has the third one, it's probably a 2016 or 2017 model, don't know for sure. It has 70000 or more miles on it.

I have driven moms Highlanders hundreds of miles on 600 mile trips and when we go out to eat together. I am the designated driver since I'm younger I suppose. Nope, their not drunk when I drive them. The Highlander has lots of power and will get out of harm's way in a hurry. They drive and ride great for a SUV. Fuel mileage is in the 20s, I cant remember what it was on that 600 mile trip, seem like it was 26 mpg or better according to the computer, I never did a hand calculation on mileage. All three Highlanders are AWD, but I have never had the pleasure of driving one in the snow. To my knowledge, out of the three, there has been no major issues that I know of other than some kind of recall on mom's 2019, something about the fuel system.. I took it to the dealer and got it fixed, but can't remember the details.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate one bit to purchase a Toyota Highlander. Their a solid vehicle for sure. I would think that it could tow something pretty good, I dont know about 5000 pounds. Power wise it could probably pull it, it's the stopping part that might concern me.

My wife's vehicle is a 2013 Acura RDX, AWD, V6. It has about 69000 miles on it and has been a great vehicle so far. It will haul the mail as they say, handles like a dream and it is capable of 27 mpg or better on the open road. I have driven it in deep snow before, it performs well. If you ask me which one I like best, I would take the Acura over the Highlander, because it's sportier, performance wise. I dont think the RDX has a high tow rating, plus the new ones have a dam turbo 4 banger. I've driven the new ones, they have the power, but had to go turbo to match the V6. Pisses me off about these car companies going turbo on small engines to get power and MPG. Heck, did you know that GM is putting a Turbo, 2.7 Liter, 4 banger in the half ton trucks now? The Acura MDX still has the great V6, it's bigger than the RDX and costs more.

Sorry about the long post, I just had to put my input into it.
Much appreciated

It's a pia to get fuel at a gas station. I don't like using my credit card at gas stations.

Better than your ATM Bank Card. Takes longer to "fix" because it's YOUR money not the credit card company's money if your card gets skimmed. Things like Uber Eats and rides showed up on my card and took a month to fix. Suspect my card was skimmed at a fuel pump.

There is always Cold Hard CASH and some stations price fuel cheaper for CASH. Then again I carry a Giant Dog to keep funny business down.

Better than your ATM Bank Card. Takes longer to "fix" because it's YOUR money not the credit card company's money if your card gets skimmed. Things like Uber Eats and rides showed up on my card and took a month to fix. Suspect my card was skimmed at a fuel pump.

There is always Cold Hard CASH and some stations price fuel cheaper for CASH. Then again I carry a Giant Dog to keep funny business down.
I like to have fuel delivered.

I go to gas stations so little that I often have to look twice to figure out how to pump the fuel.

I like to have fuel delivered.

I go to gas stations so little that I often have to look twice to figure out how to pump the fuel.
Hell, I still remember when they not only pumped the fuel for you, but cleaned your windows, checked your oil, tire pressures AND gave you a premium gift of some sort for fueling up at their station!

Green Stamps
Besides Green Stamps (or Community Blue Stamps). Like glasses, dinner plates, or a small red styrofoam football that said Go Big Red on one side and Huskers on the other that sat atop the radio antenna. Our local Sinclair station once gave away 3' long inflatable Sinclair Dinosaurs! It was one of my favorite toys as a kid! DX had for sale the DX Getaway Chase Game - 2 D Cell battery powered 1930's sedans - one looking like a gangster car and one a cop car, slot cars on a track that had remote switches to change your route through a "town" of cardboard buildings as the cop car chased the gangster car. I wish I still had that set! The 1960's were a great time!

Besides Green Stamps (or Community Blue Stamps). Like glasses, dinner plates, or a small red styrofoam football that said Go Big Red on one side and Huskers on the other that sat atop the radio antenna. Our local Sinclair station once gave away 3' long inflatable Sinclair Dinosaurs! It was one of my favorite toys as a kid! DX had for sale the DX Getaway Chase Game - 2 D Cell battery powered 1930's sedans - one looking like a gangster car and one a cop car, slot cars on a track that had remote switches to change your route through a "town" of cardboard buildings as the cop car chased the gangster car. I wish I still had that set! The 1960's were a great time!
I always say, we grew up in the best of times.
I had a dino too. And a Pepsi dolphin. Dad was a diesel mechanic at the Pepsi distribution center.
Had a lot of Pepsi stuff. Gave most of it away and junked a lot. We were never savers or collectors. Not that you could tell that by being in my shops.

I want to clear out all the GMT400 stuff, but not until my truck is back running or gone.
I just keep plugging along, one project at a time. Maybe 10 projects at a time.
I don't seem to have much luck hiring things done. Seems I still have to do them and/ or fix things after paying good money to have things fixed.

I remember the Skelly station and the Standard station across the street from each other getting into a gas price war one day. The Skelly station was down to $0.11⁹ a gallon when my mom said the heck with it and drove her '65 Baracuda (man I wish I had that car right now!) over to the Skelly station to fill the tank that was about ¼ full. I remember she gave the attendant $2 after he filled the tank and he gave her change back!

I was going to order more Restore for the 4 cylinder.

I think I noticed there was 2 different sizes. Maybe a 9 ounce and an 11 oz.

Is there any difference?

Haven't been able to get shopping for a different vehicle.

My wife's in charge. Not sure what her plan is. It seems to be, drive it until it drops and then worry about.

00011 - 11 oz.

Looks like they just condensed it down to smaller containers or like everything else EPA put their hands in it and made them use less. depending on how bad the engine is, I would use the formula for the 6 cylinder on the smaller containers

Back