• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

2014 Honda CR-V using oil

jrsavoie

Recruit
Reaction score
2014 Honda CR-V with about 80,000 miles has started using engine oil. About 2 quarts in 3,000 miles.

From searches it said to try changing the PCV.

Are PCV's built the same?
Are any better than others?

We're going to try changing the PCV.
Next step is to trade the car in.

These are our Amazon choices. Any suggestions?

We're heading to town later and could stop at a box store, if they would have something worth buying

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get the PCV from the Honda Dealer. Fix the problem properly the first time vs. "Is the knock-off a knock off?" and you $$$$$ trade the car over a PCV.

Oil is cheap. more than one quart every 1000 miles is questionable but oil is still cheap.

Any other concerns to want to trade it?

Get the PCV from the Honda Dealer. Fix the problem properly the first time vs. "Is the knock-off a knock off?" and you $$$$$ trade the car over a PCV.

Oil is cheap. more than one quart every 1000 miles is questionable but oil is still cheap.

Any other concerns to want to trade it?
You never know on parts quality. Occasionally there's a better aftermarket part.
It's worth asking.

We intend to try changing the PCV first. If that is not a cure, then we will look into trading.
I'm maxed out and don't have time for one more project.

In searches, changing the PCV was the only thing I found to be recommended. After that it went to leak down testing and rebuilding.

So, unless I find more info, if the PCV is not a fix, the vehicle will be traded.

The pcv is basically a one way check valve.
You should be able to blow through it one way, not the other.

If the positioning is just wrong enough by design-the oil could splash and get consumed- but that woud be really odd. And you would have that vacuum line full of oil.

Basically how a 6.5 gets the intake coated in oil- that would have to happen.

2 quarts in that low miles is a TON for gas engine that small.
Are you 100% it isn’t leaking out?
I would think the cat would get plugged quickly

The pcv is basically a one way check valve.
You should be able to blow through it one way, not the other.

If the positioning is just wrong enough by design-the oil could splash and get consumed- but that woud be really odd. And you would have that vacuum line full of oil.

Basically how a 6.5 gets the intake coated in oil- that would have to happen.

2 quarts in that low miles is a TON for gas engine that small.
Are you 100% it isn’t leaking out?
I would think the cat would get plugged quickly
We've seen no drips or evidence of a leak.

When we picked it up from My grandson. To get the Oil changed it was 2 quarts low.

A couple days ago, we were heading someplace and it was a little less than 2 quarts low.

It's been parked about the same spot every since we got it back and no indications of leaks.

When I searched 2014 Honda CR-V using oil, others described the same issue and claimed the new PCV fixed theirs.

I'm not going to invest a lot in diagnosis or repair.

if the PCV doesn't fix it and I don't have another Idea, we are going to send it down the road.

people around here don't pay close enough attention to just run it until proper diagnosis can be done. Even me anymore

My 2005 Honda Accord with 2.4 liter engine and 5 spd manual has consumed oil at the rate of 1 quart per 1,500 miles since new. It now has 156K miles and has developed an engine speed rubbing sound under acceleration. Sounds like it’s rubbing on a plastic shroud. I put it on Jack stand and ran it in gear and could not replicate the sound. This will be my last Honda. Toyota is the way.

CarBrain.com says your era CR-V had oil consumption problems and the only real fix is to replace piston rings:

There is the magic bottle that could be worth trying.
“RESTORE”
Its $9 on Amazon, every report I saw on it was positive.
I put some in a couple Toyota engines and compression came back up in both.
Figuring you would buy a quart of oil for about same price- give it a shot.

Although my 2005 Accord “consumes oil”, it does not show symptoms like blue smoke, rough running, lower mileage, etc. It does have a minor oil leak from the VTEC Solenoind, but not enough to explain the disappearing oil. I’ve replaced the seal on the solenoid, which slowed the leak considerably such that it is no longer spotting.

There is the magic bottle that could be worth trying.
“RESTORE”
Its $9 on Amazon, every report I saw on it was positive.
I put some in a couple Toyota engines and compression came back up in both.
Figuring you would buy a quart of oil for about same price- give it a shot.
Yep. Thanks. There's definitely a time and place for miracle elixirs.
I can't deal with a machine that goes through oil.

Unless I drive it a lot and can pay attention to it.

I know nobody else in the family is going to check it regularly.

It has had 2 quarts added twice now. It only holds something like 4.3 quarts with the filter.
It's only a matter of time before it would get run dry and be completely trash.

My Honda runs great and is primarily used to the train station and back, which is 3-miles one way. Leaving a 17-year old car at the train station is ok with me. Would like to figure out the rubbing sound, but it only happens under load. I noted that the plastic pan connecting to the bumper and the bumer itself is loose and a number of the plastic push-button fasteners are missing. New ones have been ordered and sent to Montana. If I could get rid of the sound, get it to 200K miles and call it good and sell it as a transportation car.

The 2 most recent oil checks showed overfull.
I sucked oil out through the dipstick tube and it was over again, not very many miles later.

Any recommendations on what to buy?

Looking for a small 4x4. 30 mpg. 4400 lb tow rating.

What vehicles have the best warranty?

We're not much for buying new vehicles. But we haven't found any newer vehiclicles that don't have some sort of issue to look out for.

If we went older, I'd be satisfied with something like our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. If it was rust free.

We thought we would be safe with the Honda when we bought it.

What vehicles have the longest/best warranty?

The 2 most recent oil checks showed overfull.
I sucked oil out through the dipstick tube and it was over again, not very many miles later.

Any recommendations on what to buy?

Looking for a small 4x4. 30 mpg. 4400 lb tow rating.

What vehicles have the best warranty?

We're not much for buying new vehicles. But we haven't found any newer vehiclicles that don't have some sort of issue to look out for.

If we went older, I'd be satisfied with something like our 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD. If it was rust free.

We thought we would be safe with the Honda when we bought it.

What vehicles have the longest/best warranty?
The most reliable small true 4x4 is the Toyota 4Runner, but it will average 18 mpg. It is a true body on frame 4x4, not some compromised crossover SUV.

Just remember, gas will not always be this high.

Try the PCV first. More than likely its the rings. Normal oil consumption specs are 1 qrt per 1000-1500 miles. If its less than that the manufacturer does not consider is a problem. With these low tension piston rings oil consumption is a normal occurrence . I tell everyone to check their oil ever 1000 miles.

Try the PCV first. More than likely its the rings. Normal oil consumption specs are 1 qrt per 1000-1500 miles. If its less than that the manufacturer does not consider is a problem. With these low tension piston rings oil consumption is a normal occurrence . I tell everyone to check their oil ever 1000 miles.
PVC was changed last week.

Do other manufacturers have the same oil consumption issue.

I'm kind of stuck on the 30 mpg. Even if I have to find an oldie but goodie.

We had several 30 mpg plus vehicles in the 1980's and 1990's

I haven't tried Restore yet either.
Next step should be an oil test.

PVC was changed last week.

Do other manufacturers have the same oil consumption issue.

I'm kind of stuck on the 30 mpg. Even if I have to find an oldie but goodie.

We had several 30 mpg plus vehicles in the 1980's and 1990's

I haven't tried Restore yet either.
Next step should be an oil test.
All manufactures are having oil consumption issues. Some worst that others. It doesn't mean every vehicle with develop a problem. But if it does the 1 qrt per 1000-1500 miles is considered normal. My wife's 17 civic gets 44mpg, Honda is my favorite car manufacturer by far.

All manufactures are having oil consumption issues. Some worst that others. It doesn't mean every vehicle with develop a problem. But if it does the 1 qrt per 1000-1500 miles is considered normal. My wife's 17 civic gets 44mpg, Honda is my favorite car manufacturer by far.
I used to be a major Honda fan, but not so much anymore. Still pretty reliable, but the oil consumption, oil leaks, and rubbing sounds in the front end have soured me. Toyota > Honda.

Toyota rust to hell here in Ohio. I personally will never own one because of that. Honda Builds a superior car in every way in my option. I've been under the hood on plenty of both and I've always preferred Hondas engineering and longevity,

Back