• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 Silverado 6.5 Duramax swap

No progress lately. Gotta pay off a 1000$ fine by Aug 4 before I can buy more parts. I'm debating putting the cab on. Just worried about getting the turbo out with the cab on. And input on difficulty?

there is LOTS of room to get to the turbo in mine. there is at least 3 inches between the turbo and firewall in mine.

I used the templates from the swap guide, but made a few alterations to them. If you reused the stock 4L80E crossmember and mounting locations for it, then your engine should be sitting about the same distance from the cab as mine is. Obviously working on the turbo with the cab off would be easier, but it is doable with the cab on.

I did the same I'm trying to get the engine to sit a little lower. I'm using the 4l80e crossmember but the holes don't line up perfectly. All 4 holes are about 1/2 an inch off on both sides. I'm guessing that just from building the mounts

Mine all dropped right in, and the trans sits in the middle of the slots for it's mount. It's not a huge deal for you since you went SFA, but if you kept the IFS you would be screwed. I BARELY have any room around my transfer case and the torsion bar crossmember on mine.

You know what could have worked really good with yours. On my 96 crew cab 3500 the torsion bar crossmember was stamped to clear the larger tcase. It had a Borg warner 4401 tcase. It was actually curved back in the middle about 4 inches. I wish I had a pic of it. That's the one thing I wish I switched when I put the drive train in the original 96 6.5 swap truck

So basically I'm thinking about installing a burban tank under the bed in the same location as suburbans. I'd like a center mount tank rather than saddle bag like pickups have. Plus the extra range of a 40 gallon over a 25 gallon is appealing. I don't know the distance of the rails in the back of a suburban around the tank section. I know the tail section is the same(or close to it) due to the ability to swap bumpers and axles and such. Do you know the dimensions?

I can probably tell you what you need to know. I did this on one of my trucks and my brother still runs his with dual tanks.
If your is a long bed then its very doable. Just get all the Suburban stuff from a donor 4x4 preffered for the skid plate.
You have to loose the spare tire wench, trim the Suburbam crossmember/s to fit and provide for a filler neck. You could run the neck to the wheel well or my plan was to cut a hole in the bed and weld in a door so it looked factory.
Very doable for you.

And after typing this I just saw you said you have a 25 gallon tank = short bed, so I don;t think the Burb tank will work for you.
Maybe a 2 door Tahoe might ? Should be close to 50 gallons if you keep both tanks.

Well I actually don't have a tank at all yet. Still just rolling chassis and engine/trans. But where are the Tahoe tanks located? Never looked under a Tahoe lol. So I'd need a suburban rear cross member also?

I believe the 2 door Tahoe had a tank behind the axle. You will need the cross members that hold the tank.

I believe the tahoe tank is about 25 like a short bed pickup. A few have tried before, and I don't think the BURB tank will fit behind the axle of a short bed truck. If you look at a BURB, there is ALOT of hangover from the axle back(ALOT more than a short bed truck has). For shoirt bed trucks there isn't alot of options as I don't think titan even makes tanks for the older trucks.

Just found this thread. Any updates or progress lately? I was really kicking around the idea of MAX-ing my old 97 but after talking to Ferm I just went and bought the 06 package deal.

Just found this thread. Any updates or progress lately? I was really kicking around the idea of MAX-ing my old 97 but after talking to Ferm I just went and bought the 06 package deal.
I'm actually considering getting rid of the BURB and getting a newer truck, or keeping the BURB, getting a newer truck, and giving the BURB to the wife to drive. With 2 kids now, the backseat of her car is nothing but car seats, so any sort of trip means we have to get into the BURb to bring the dogs or much of anything with us, or even if we want to bring others with us. Here lately the pickup bug has hit me, and just want something with a bed on it again. That and the wife wants a bigger camper now with slides, so that means a fifth wheel would make ALOT more sense than a bumper pull.

Back