• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1996 Silverado 6.5 Duramax swap

i havnt been able to find any solid reviews of the diamond eye down pipe. do u have an opinion on them? or any other down pipe u have in mind?

Run a stock downpipe, to many people have had problems with them not sealing up and leaking. And unless your planning on going over 550 or so for RWHP, it isn't needed.

I do plan to run 600 max rwhp with a selectable tuner like the banks 6 gun for economy tow and hp settings. i also want the downpipe for lower egts and cause im doing an egr delete.

I do plan to run 600 max rwhp with a selectable tuner like the banks 6 gun for economy tow and hp settings. i also want the downpipe for lower egts and cause im doing an egr delete.

If your planning on 600RWHP, then you better plan on putting in some rods, delipping the pistons, bigger turbo, 45 over injectors, 40 over CP3, and finding a set of federal emissions heads for it. Since you say it has EGR, you have the smaller emissions heads on it, and anything over 500RWHP is playing Russian roulette with the LB7 rods. Not to mention you will need to box and re-enforce the GMT-400 frame to take it.

I do remember ferm twisted his. i am going to be boxing portions of the frame. im not going to be doing hard launches or racing or sled pulling. i just want/need the truc to have enough power for whatever i want to pull. the 600 rwhp will be in the future not right off the bat. i was planning on building a duramax with fed heads and lbz/lmm rods. id love the carillo rods but i sure dont have 2600 laying around just for rods. wen the dmax and allison are done i will do a weekend swap for the current drivetrain. at least thats my plan

i havnt been able to find any solid reviews of the diamond eye down pipe. do u have an opinion on them? or any other down pipe u have in mind?

Me? sorry no. When it comes to custom you just have to make stuff fit.

I can pull 26K w/ a nearly stock truck. 600hp isn't needed in a towing rig, if anything that will make it less reliable.

oh alright u caught me. i just want 600 lol. with the power difference of the detroit to the duramax i know ill be happy with that alne. i just want the extra. im a guy lol

Not trying to pop your bubble, but I think you need to come down to earth on your HP goal. If you want to be able to USE 600RWHP, the GMT-400 is NOT your choice unless you plan on using a late model frame to do it with. The frame, suspension, not front end can take it. Your looking at building all custom front steering if you want to stay IFS and sled pull with it, and you better be stepping up to the 11.5" 14 bolt from a newer truck as the 10.5" probably isn't going to like you since guys tear up stock 11.5"s sled pulling. Unless your planning on a new frame or completely redoing yours, you might ought to limit yourself down to the 450-500 RWHP range and be happy. And even at that point your front end will not hold up as guys with 6.5's have folded the center link in 4X4.

Im doing a solid axle swap Dana 60 as soon as the new drive train has been finnished. Im putting in the axle from the 02 donor truck as well. like i said before i will NOT be sled pulling.

Subscribed. How the hell do you guys work on sand/dirt?

Very Carefully! Just kinda have to make it work haha. its the only place were there was enough room to fit bot my trucks and not have to worry about parking arrangments. but ya.. Dirt and cherry pickers dont mix well. wen i was manuvering the detriot with the trans and tcase still attached it actually sank 1 wheel into the ground and topled the cherry picker on it sisde. that was a pain

So i have a question for all of u. Well more in need of input or opinions. i have this king pin dana 60 sitting here i was planning on doing after the duramax swap was complete. but ive been kicking around the idea of starting the 60 swap now and cutting out the stock crosmember and mounts for the engine and IFS diff. fabricating a new crosmember made of tube steel with OEM duramax mounts. any input from u guys would be appreciated. Just cant decide what to do considering im already fabing mounts and wouldnt be that difficult to fab a new crossmember.

Best thing in my opinion is to mock the engine and axle up together. Then you dont get don with one item to find out you need change things around to fit the next item in the truck. Good Luck i'll be interested to see how it goes.

Best thing in my opinion is to mock the engine and axle up together. Then you dont get don with one item to find out you need change things around to fit the next item in the truck. Good Luck i'll be interested to see how it goes.

Agreed 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^

the axle would be an easy swap and the duramax wouldnt have to be moved after. i just dont like the stock crossmember and ifs tabs all over the place. if im cutting it out in the near furture anyway why not just chop it out now and make the crossmembetr that i want. thats what i was thinking. thanks for confirming my thoughts haha =)

Once you remove the xmember you might be able to sit the motor lower in the rails to add more hood and firewall clearance.

Source Unknown

Back