• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

Had a small issue pop up. One of the heads broke clean off the brass screw. Choke plate is pretty loose now. Will have to carefully drill and extract next.
20210301_183838.jpg

I have the Rochester 2bbl off the 350 of my ex-gf's 68 Olds Cutlass convertible. It was running when I pulled it and swapped for an Edlebrock manifold and Summit Racing Quadrajet. I'll let you have it for shipping. FAR easier to rebuild and much more reliable than Holley leak-a-matics.

Thanks guys!

Looking to keep this thing OEM but if I have struggles with this carb after my 1st ever rebuild attempt I will reach out.

My dad is not fond of Holley's either, he is helping me with this haha.

The same ex-gf also had a 66 Fairlane 500 convertible with a 289 and 2bbl Holley on it. Her brother damn near burned it to the ground. He was visiting her, his overbearing wife was along, too.

I had been working on it and noticed that the accelerator pump on the Holley was seeping gas, so my last words to my ex-gf and her brother was, "Nobody drive this car until I get back from the parts store and put a new accelerator pump diaphragm on, this one is about to tear and it will dump gas all over the engine when it does."

I get back from the parts store to find both the Galaxy and Cutlass gone! Seems his PIA wife had brow-beaten him into giving her a ride in the Galaxy and my ex-gf, who really couldn't stand her sister-in-law, just to shut her up gave him the keys to the Galaxy and they decided to drive over to see their sister who lived on the other side of Omaha. I found this out when I called her cell to find out where they and the cars were. Last thing I told her was to tell him not to try and start the Galaxy. I get there to find him (oh, BTW, he was an idiot to begin with long before I met him) trying to start the Galaxy, pumping the gas pedal like crazy while cranking it over and not understanding why it wouldn't start, I could smell the gasoline from 50 feet away from the torn acc pump diaphragm! As I got out of my truck, before I could yell at him to stop cranking the engine over, the motor caught and started, ran rough for about 5 seconds before there was a loud FOOM! and orange flames and black smoke shot out from all around the hood. I yelled at him to shut it off, but he'd already bailed.

I grabbed the 5lb extinguisher from behind the seat of my truck and ran over to the Galaxy, killed the ignition, popped the hood release, ran around to the front of the car, yelled at him to grab the garden hose and turn it on full blast and get over here as I lifted the hood on its catch and began sweeping the extinguisher back and forth through the opening, concentrating towards the center where the engine was. He got there with the hose and I opened the hood the rest of the way, with my thumb over the end of the hose to make a fan of water, and saw that there was now only flames burning atop the intake manifold between the valve covers from front to rear. I quickly got the flames doused and continued to hose down the engine to get rid of any remaining gasoline.

I then went all Drill Sergeant on him, "What ****ing part of 'don't drive the car until I got back from the parts store' did you not understand? I told you the car could catch on fire, and it did! You're lucky it didn't happen while you were driving it, we'd be zipping you up in a body bag and your cow of a wife in two!" I was royally pissed!

Needless to say, the damage to the Galaxy was pretty extensive, all the engine wiring was trashed, the carb was trashed, all the engine paint was toast as was the firewall and inner fenders and the gorgeous powder baby blue hood had a 2' diameter black and blistered patch right over the carb area from the heat! I spent the next two days running all new wiring and vacuum lines, none of the major parts chain stores in Omaha could get the right carb for it for over a week, so I checked the Speedway Motors catalog and sure enough, they had a Holley 350cfm 2bbl with mechanical choke in stock, so I ran down to Lincoln and picked it up at Will Call at their warehouse. Got it all back together, found the right accelerator pump cam for the throttle arm and got it running again. Then her brother took it back home to Burlington, IA, as the only reason he was there driving it was she (my ex-gf) had given it to him and he was there to pick it up before he nearly burned it to the ground!

Needless to say, ever since High School in the mid-70's, I have totally detested ALL Holley carb models! If they don't leak from the accelerator pump diaphrams, they leak like a sieve from the float bowl to body gaskets due to warpage! I'll take a Carter Thermoquad or Rochester Quadrajet over ANY Holley 4bbl made! I happen to love Q-jets, they get great fuel mileage with their small primaries and once you set them up correctly, using an O2 sensor in the exhaust, especially duals, for stochiometeric ratio with their interchangeable jets and metering rods, they run fantastic with no further tinkering. In my 72 Monte Carlo, with a factory BBC 402, TH400 and Q-jet carb that had been properly set up, I was getting consistently 19+ mpg on the highway with the cruise control set at 55mph (the speed limit on the Interstate nationally back in the early 80's), and even broke 20 a couple of times!

If your Holley rebuild project doesn't work out and you want to stay original equipment, you can get a brand new 2bbl, 350 or 500 cfm, electric or manual choke Holley for about 4 Benjamins (damn, nearly double the price from when I bought that one for the Galaxy back in 2007!) from Speedway. I'm sure Summit or Jegs carries new ones, too. I'd shy away from remans from the big chain stores or local parts shops as quality is questionable on their remans - quantity over quality!

Its out of hibernation! A couple pumps of the gas pedal, pull of the choke and it came to life in seconds! We do have a fuel leak right at the fuel line inlet brass piece to the carb, needs tightening but didn't have an 11/16 wrench with me. Got it home (about a 5 min drive from the barn), later today I will get it muscled! Got 2 thumbs up in just the 5 min drive home!
20220513_133418.jpg
20220513_133408.jpg

It's alive, Dr. Frankenstein! It's alive! Funny how things like a fuel fitting just mysteriously loosen up on their own in storage like that! Glad it didn't decide to self-ignite on the way home, like my ex-gf's '66 Galaxy 500 did when the accelerator pump diaphram on the Holley 350 cfm 2bbl on it went bad and it leaked fuel all over the intake manifold and engine on the drive home from her sister's house on the other side of Omaha and caught fire about ten blocks from her house.

It's alive, Dr. Frankenstein! It's alive! Funny how things like a fuel fitting just mysteriously loosen up on their own in storage like that! Glad it didn't decide to self-ignite on the way home, like my ex-gf's '66 Galaxy 500 did when the accelerator pump diaphram on the Holley 350 cfm 2bbl on it went bad and it leaked fuel all over the intake manifold and engine on the drive home from her sister's house on the other side of Omaha and caught fire about ten blocks from her house.
I was second guessing doing it as leaking fuel is always a risk! But it was barely dripping. I got it tightened, gon a drive it to camp tonight so will see if it's still leaking.

Put some miles on the truck the other day to camp and to the local brew house cars & coffee. I managed to get the fuel leak handled. Went and checked the bearings and I have some play on the drivers front, so we need to re-torque that one. Also have a brake squeak when off of the pedal. I think its drivers rear. will have to do some adjusting there as well.

Back