• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

Start out by making copies of anything you do have or get before anything leaves your possession.. Take paper printed pics of VIN or any other ID plate that might be relative. Our dmv here doing my 1943 Willy’s jeep, the gal got all confused and had to get the top boss of the local office because the VIN was only 6 numbers long.

Will, had a great idea about copies of documents, one can never have too many copies, ink and paper is plentiful. Ink or toner can be expensive, but it's worth have extra copies.

Anymore I don't trust the postal service with important documents. I have had too many instances where a tax return or bill payment got lost. I don't blame you for not wanting to mail it.

Also this day and age of decent cameras on phones, makes it easy to snap a few pictures of documents. It's never bad to have some pictures.

One hard thing is proving ownership. The DMV wants a paper work trail like titles, certificate of origins from the factory, was there a bill of sale and so on.

Go luck I hope it works out for you.

I have the title for my Studebaker signed by my uncle before he left Alaska. You'd think it would be a walk in the park. The gal at the DMV express has turned in the paperwork 3 times now so it can get researched. It's like they're just ignoring it. Been 4 or 5 months now still nothing.

Does Alaska require you to have a notary public present when titles are signed? If so could a non notarized title be holding up your registration process? I am just thinking out loud here, I know each state is different on alot of things.

My state requires a title to be notarized by a notary when a title changes hands from a seller to a buyer.

I'm actually walking in with an arsenal of items including:
MV82 - Doc to register in my name.
MV440H - Historical Plate Request.
BOS - Bill of Sale (My Company to me)
PRE BOS - (Original Owner to my Company)
DTF - Sales tax document.
MV51/51B - No Registration Document.
My LST.
VIN trace.
Need to talk with Hagerty for Insurance.

I would much rather go in person as they right q's can be asked. Its tougher with mailing items and I could do all this in the mail but the tax form has to be done at your DMV office. Also anything mailed has to be ORIGINAL.

They said copies would be fine for the research part. IMO covid shouldn't really have affected this process as someone could do it as part of their work from home duties

DMV covid thing is a mess here. Our dmv was closed completely for a ling time. Now open but so backed up everything by appointment only. Appointment only can be made out 90 days in advance but all appointments booked. People are outraged here. So each day people try to be first to call and make appointment for exactly 90 days in future.

Not in media but officer lives are increased danger now because they started writing registration tickets again, cop buddy showed me a pic of letter mailed to him at his house by anonymous person saying since he cant fix his dmv and insurance due to gubmint- he won’t loose this job over not being able to get to work so dont pull over people with expired plates or he will shoot as he walks up to the window. Asked another buddy (different force) about it, he said another cop walked up to a car without any plates and the guy had a gun on him already drawn. Made cop lay prone, took his gun and assured the cop he wouldn’t shoot and just had to get away. Took his license and mailed his gun and license back to him ups. Said same thing basically- 1 more ticket and tow the car will wreck his life beyond worth living so is willing to do murder suicide on any cop that wont just surrender gun for him to get away. My buddy said that the car was generic old ford and they cant id the driver - white guy, mid 40’s wearing a mask...

All I see lately is 2 officers per car, Thats not normal here.
I work with a guy whose wife works counter at a dmv. She says everything is nuts, mandatory overtime up until the election and they were mandatory ask if people wanted to register to vote. Nov 5, no more overtime. Also said the armed security at dmv has been busier than normal- hmm. Go figure.

Dmv also is trying to end 3rd party resale vehicles. Like i could sell to Bob, Bob never titles in his name and fixes it up and flips it for more money to John. John registers title that has my name on it. But from Now on, bill of sale with seller and buyer name has to match with both buyer and seller name on title. So people that only have title but no bill of sale won’t be able to register... that is gonna go over real bad...

I learned hard way to Always get bill of sale with all of buyers info on it and keep permanently. Sold our 01 suburban and the guy never registered it. Tons of parking tickets and dmv tried coming after me. Bill of sale would have been my only LEGAL way out of the tickets, or any other liability. I made some questionable plays and got it solved. I won’t sell any rig again without dmv bill of sale. We just print them offline from dmv blank and write in info. I suggest yall do the same even if your dmv doesn’t require it yet. And incase your dmv doesn’t offer it, use this one:

bill of sale means nothing here
It never USED TO here. But they simply made one change without needing voter approval and pow, now it is the end all and almost as much importance as the title as far as registering it in Nevada.

As to why you should have one not just for what you buy, but what you have sold:
Say I buy your pickup that you had registered in AK. And you remove the license plate and any paperwork with your info on it. (Which in some state you have to leave with the vehicle until I register it) On my way back to Vegas area, I rob banks in each state on the way killing all witnesses. And since it’s covid season, i wear a mask and gloves doing it. I abandoned your old truck in a Vegas warehouse where I get my own truck and drive it back to Boulder City 20 miles away. 20 days later super Sam of the FBI tracks everything down to the area of those warehouses where he has notices only one door unlocked- with your old truck inside. He finds no paperwork, but runs the VIN. Why, you’re now #1 suspect. Plenty of time has passed for you to get back to AK. We are both males of similar description- age,race, etc. Prove you don’t still own the Vehicle. Would you abandon a truck worth $10,000 to rob 6 banks for a few hundred thousand bucks? Sure he says. Your wife as the alibi? Meh- she could lie for that much cash.

Now, I had fun making the multi bank, multi state story up. But really- the clown I sold my suburban to racked up THOUSANDS in tickets in a couple months. If I wasn’t so aggressive in being willing to take away the birthday of that guy to the point of two police stations getting involved I would have ate the cost, plus all continued costs until he gets caught doing something Really illegal.

This is a common issue and is happening more and more places.

If your title has a place for them to sign it- make them do it and get a pic on your phone. It is worth the extra hassle- even if your dmv doesn’t mandate it.

I am actually a notary in NYS. However if it was required I couldn't do it anyway, but it works out well for others!

Did my vin trace yesterday and am working on the insurance through Hagerty now.

Yelp, kinda a conflict of interest if a person was notarizing their own transactions or paperwork.... 🤔

Years ago I was a Notary, I was certified through the state. I have processed a few titles and documents in my time, more than I cared about fooling with. Alot of that stuff was Who, What, When Where. Who owned it before, What was it a Kenworth or a Mack or a Fruehauf Semi Trailer. When was about the dates of course and where was it purchased. Most of the things I dealt with was Commercial Vehicles, no cars. Apportioned tag stuff was a nightmare.

Big accomplishment today. Been waiting since December for my DMV appointment. Today it came and went. I now have a road legal Binder in my name!

I was so worried about this transaction. The question that arose out of my 4 dead trees stack of paperwork was the unladen weight. I had no clue. The DMV just put in a number from the web but they wanted me to go weigh it and come back. I said how can I weigh this without plates and registration to drive it to the scale? This thing is a nightmare to trailer. Luckily they were on my side today after trying to kill them with kindness.

Tune up, fluid changes, fuel system service and we are ready for the road!

Over here, the license plate that the owner registers on a vehicle, when he/she sells the vehicle, they keep their license plate. If the purchaser wants to drive the vehicle then they need to take in the notarized title and either register the vehicle to themselves or, get a 20 day permit.
A bill of sale with names, addresses and signatures of two witnesses is as good as a notary.

Took the new plates out to the truck to find a flat tire. Swapped it out with the spare OBS Ford Alcoa I hope to run as a temporary thing.
20210215_120917.jpg
20210215_124754.jpg

I am looking for opinions on the proper lug nut to stud engagement when swapping out the factory steelies for aluminum wheels. Note: I am borrowing a set of Ford OBS Alcoas so I am trying to make them work until I can get a set of OBS Ford Steelies. I purchased the correct thread/pitch and conical lug nuts for the seat. Per my measurement I have a 1/2-inch of thread engagement from the wheel face (its actually more if you count the conical portion).
20210215_124449.jpg
20210215_124802.jpg
20210215_124809.jpg

I know that this is the bare minimum for a 1/2-inch stud. I am thinking of putting some blue locktite on the studs for now to get me by with these at least for a season preferably. Anyone see any issues with the thread engagement here? Note the new lug nuts are longer in length than the original nuts (IMO there is much more thread engagement with the new over the old). It just worries me seeing threads showing on the lug without engagement. Not sure how I feel about this now. I have seen multiple other trucks with Dodge aluminum wheel swaps as well as the Ford OBS.

Back