• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

DieselSlug

Reaction score
As some of you have seen before this rig and know I have had my eyes on it. The truck is an old IH fire truck. Some back story is the truck:
It was utilized on an Alcoa Foundry. I'm assuming all its life as the odometer seems legit with 4,600 miles. Reasoning for legitness is pedals are in great shape along with the rubber floor protector near the heel of the accelerator. My company purchased it to pump water for dust supression. Pump died on the truck and my company replaced about 3 years ago. Fast forward and the job has been complete for 2 years. The tuck has sat in the shop since with only myself running the truck intermittently. Hell I took this thing to my local fireman field days a year and change ago and it received a ton of attention. It has not title, but luckily in NYS titles only go back to 1972. So only a bill of sale (bos) is required to register (per my current research). I dont think this truck was ever registered and road driven. It has a working Hobbs meter sitting at just over 1,000 hours.

Finally after years this truck is now mine. Plans are to perform a complete brake job (only 1 wheel stops currently), and a full tune up and fluid/filter change. Hopefully it will be road ready by the Syracuse Nationals 2020. For now the ride will be slow. Trying to locate proper winter storage and potentially having the option to work on it. Purely getting it driveable in as-is condition. The restoration will try and encompass OEM type parts for a near original build. Pics or it didnt happen....IMG_5681.JPG20191004_101004.jpg20191004_101052.jpg

I'm about ready to pull my hair out with the Mustang and tuning it. My schedule does not line up with my "mentors" and we have literally made no progress in 4 plus months. Everything I have done to date is literally teaching myself. I'm about ready to throw in the towel and pay someone to do it as originally planned. This will be a nice project to get my mind off the car for a bit. I'm good with the mechanical stuff, which the truck needs so thats a plus.

Some more pictures:

VBfeUbc.jpg

------------------------------------------------
NPsO5mV.jpg

BpM0d8c.jpg

SVFST8x.jpg

CSxrbGA.jpg

Missing the line setting ticket. Will be ordering one:
1Tzn0uM.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Spent some lunch time today attempting to pressure wash the bulk areas of caked on grease. Mostly concentrated on the axles and frame. Found out I am leaking fuel profusely from the carburetor. That will need attention sooner rather than later.

mahDFtT.jpg

mkAVlbH.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

Ah, good old Holley. My favorite carb.
Can’t see if the leak is from the float level or the flare inlet adapter because of the shadow. The little seal on the adapter is common leak.
Remember that style carb, a timing advanced back fire through the carb ruins the power valve. So if you(or someone before you) set timing and she just doesn’t rev up smooth afterwards, kinda big hesitation with vacuum sound then revs, that’s the go to issue.

Most of the leak looks to be coming from the bottom of the bowl. Like the accelerator pump area. I think the fan is blowing it around. The inlet is finger tight but could still be a culprit.

It needs a tune up bad. Misfires all the time and bogs/stalls when cold. I cant wait to work on this thing. Nice to get back into vintage stuff.

Yeah, same trick as diesel: add some atf in the fuel. It cleans out jets and swells the seals. We used to just rig a 1/2 gallon with about 1/2 cup of atf and rest it on the roof, then gravity feed down to the carb. Run it in the driveway varying rpm. Then we would Do that with the water down the butterflys to remove any carbon from pistons and valves. Figured as long as we were ticking off neighbors, make the noise and the smoke all in one day.

Once that was done, check timing and reset the floats. She’ll be a happy camper.

Ah, good old Holley. My favorite carb.
Can’t see if the leak is from the float level or the flare inlet adapter because of the shadow. The little seal on the adapter is common leak.
Remember that style carb, a timing advanced back fire through the carb ruins the power valve. So if you(or someone before you) set timing and she just doesn’t rev up smooth afterwards, kinda big hesitation with vacuum sound then revs, that’s the go to issue.

Fuel leak on a fire truck... So What? It can put itself out. :woot:

The make a kit to retrofit Holley carbs for "Blowout" protection. You will have to check if it will work on your model.

[/QUOTE]
Yeah, same trick as diesel: add some atf in the fuel. It cleans out jets and swells the seals. We used to just rig a 1/2 gallon with about 1/2 cup of atf and rest it on the roof, then gravity feed down to the carb. Run it in the driveway varying rpm. Then we would Do that with the water down the butterflys to remove any carbon from pistons and valves. Figured as long as we were ticking off neighbors, make the noise and the smoke all in one day.

Once that was done, check timing and reset the floats. She’ll be a happy camper.

Will have to give this a try, curious at the first oil change to see how nasty it is. I would assume maintenance was done well, but that's assuming

Fuel leak on a fire truck... So What? It can put itself out. :woot:

The make a kit to retrofit Holley carbs for "Blowout" protection. You will have to check if it will work on your model.

Haha, it is a functional pump truck so as long as I have enough time to get a water source we should be ok! Right now I am not running it for long to keep everything cool. No fires for me🤞.

You can get a tune kit esp. cams for the accel pump for the Holley. Vac gauge to select the proper power valve... I almost went with the larger accel pump on this Holley equipped "toy", but, the cams allowed me to get rid of the idle-redline before the throttle hit the floor stumble. Sadly I sold it to buy diesel fuel during the Great Depression V2.0.

1Holley_jet_boat.jpg

2Holley_jet_boat.jpg

Holley_jet_boat.jpg

You can get a tune kit esp. cams for the accel pump for the Holley. Vac gauge to select the proper power valve... I almost went with the larger accel pump on this Holley equipped "toy", but, the cams allowed me to get rid of the idle-redline before the throttle hit the floor stumble. Sadly I sold it to buy diesel fuel during the Great Depression V2.0.

View attachment 58525

View attachment 58526

View attachment 58527
Wow, hell of a machine!

Back