• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

Going to grab the truck out of the barn this afternoon for a ride up to camp this weekend. Hopefully I remember to get some pics. Need to do some bearing adjustments in the front and check fluids. Taking off Friday of this coming week for the Syracuse Nationals!

I dont mind a little bit of play between the spindle and the hub. Tells me that the wheel bearings aint too tight.
I’d be checking adjustment if no play could be felt or seen.
Its a tough adjustment with the type of lock washers it has. The nut has to be positioned on an edge to the top for the locking washer to fit over it and into the groove on the spindle. I did find only an 1/8th of a turn had it feeling much better and lined right up!

I converted my old tab washer units to the type with the stub built onto the adjuster nut. It goes on first with the stub facing outwards. A warsher with perforations all the way around is set over that nut and one of the holes in the washer lines up with the stub, if not then flip over the warsher and possible an alignment will be gained. If not then loosen the nut just slightly. Repeat until one of the holes of the washer aligns with the stub of the nut, then, on goes the jamming nut and it is then torqued.
I usually leave the adjusting nut just very slightly loose, then, when the jam nut is torqued, it presses against the adjust nut and the adjust nut against the spindle threads and ever so sligntly takes up a very small amount of slack in the bearings.

I wish I had my dad's '68 International Travelall 4x4. It also had a very, very rare aftermarket installed Hi-Rail on it so he could put it on the tracks and drive down them.

Back