• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

1969 IH 1300D 4X4 - Pump Truck

GCP-10 Snap on #... as in Grease Cap Puller size 10. Being Snap on I'm sure it's big $. Maybe Lisle has one.

On edit, Ebay is a good idea... Thanks Les

Forgot to post pics of my cheater to get the tang off the back of the adjuster (this one really had me stumped going through a bling hole).
9m2fm63.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

b2AL9aj.jpg

------------------------------------------------

Yesterdays lunch progress, got the drive flanges off (these were a bit tough!) There is also supposed to be a gasket in there (from what I'm told) so someone has been in here before:
zWbbCpO.jpg

--------------------------------------------------

Some oil came out which I assume should not be in there:
t6rRBhe.jpg

Flanges, nuts and taper wedges:
Ep43ZIc.jpg

Started cleaning the drums for reuse, need a little more scrubbing then a quick rattle can:
p4PeHwO.jpg

Finished on cleaning of the drums first thing today. Had to go out and get a small wire wheel for my drill to get in the crevice on the back side. All looks good now and ready for paint later today:
ndlbEEI.jpg

----------------------------------------------

So you have a grease packed wheel bearing and it had some oil in it also. You need to find in manual 100% that it shows IF the bearing is supposed to be packed in grease.
If it does, then you need to find the measurement of oil that is supposed to be in the differential AND if there is supposed to be an inner axle oil seal.

If the differential is over filled, that oil makes its way to the grease, washing it away and damaging bearing. If the diff housing breather gets plugged it can cause pressurization and force oil out there also, so ensure that is clean.

Some oddball axles ai messed with had simple rope seals, a Brit truck had one that went in before the outer bearing. An old Overland one had rope seal right by the pumpkin. Problem was in both cases by the time I was rebuilding them, someone before me rebuilt it and didn’t reinstall them. The only way I noticed was the issue you have now coupled with rub marks on the axle I could see when fully disassembled. Some axles use regular seals instead of rope btw.

The problem with older toys and no manual is learning how it was designed to work. Just guessing if it is oil bath bearings and not greasing could ruin bearings and snap axles/ diff gears. Guessing they are grease and that it was just over filled means under filled diff housing and ruining diff bearings and wiping out those gears. Ahh, the joys of classic cars that are behind the scenes-

So you have a grease packed wheel bearing and it had some oil in it also. You need to find in manual 100% that it shows IF the bearing is supposed to be packed in grease.
If it does, then you need to find the measurement of oil that is supposed to be in the differential AND if there is supposed to be an inner axle oil seal.

If the differential is over filled, that oil makes its way to the grease, washing it away and damaging bearing. If the diff housing breather gets plugged it can cause pressurization and force oil out there also, so ensure that is clean.

Some oddball axles ai messed with had simple rope seals, a Brit truck had one that went in before the outer bearing. An old Overland one had rope seal right by the pumpkin. Problem was in both cases by the time I was rebuilding them, someone before me rebuilt it and didn’t reinstall them. The only way I noticed was the issue you have now coupled with rub marks on the axle I could see when fully disassembled. Some axles use regular seals instead of rope btw.

The problem with older toys and no manual is learning how it was designed to work. Just guessing if it is oil bath bearings and not greasing could ruin bearings and snap axles/ diff gears. Guessing they are grease and that it was just over filled means under filled diff housing and ruining diff bearings and wiping out those gears. Ahh, the joys of classic cars that are behind the scenes-
From skimming my manual the bearings need packing. There may be some oil in the closed knuckle as well (which is totally new to me) as the manual lists a fill plug in it. I haven't gotten there yet. A lot less oil came out on the passenger side than the driver. The manual also lists seals as felt. I am definitely going to remove the pumpkin cover, drain and refill with new fluid following new seals. Good point on the breather, will have to check it for any obstructions.

Stepped away from the project for a night and re-attacked this morning. Did some spit-balling and found an impact socket 2-3/8 that just bit on the corners of the inner nut with enough depth to fit the axleshaft.

Another coat to the drums (paint is partially drying in the pictures):
5g63T8Q.jpg

Stack of fasteners in order of operations:
ZgWRbEZ.jpg

Removed spindles:
q42zo1o.jpg

ow1PkR1.jpg

Additional photos of brake components (I assume the next step is brake component removal and then backing plate removal. What comes after that, steering & kingpin removals, I am not quite sure):
7PZLoxu.jpg

739LZl0.jpg

Another close up of the frame showing overspray, reds and undercoating a little better:
gW9tIUa.jpg

Is that the set one that had the oil in with the grease? If so scratch what I said before. I thought we were looking at a live axle. My apologies. The oil could only have been two things. If the lre was brake fluid contamination if wheel cylinders leaked, or grease that just broke down.

Is that the set one that had the oil in with the grease? If so scratch what I said before. I thought we were looking at a live axle. My apologies. The oil could only have been two things. If the lre was brake fluid contamination if wheel cylinders leaked, or grease that just broke down.
Yes. I'm assuming just as you said either grease has broke down (due to the extreme cold swings of Massena, NY), wheel cylinder failure (and the seal allowed fluid past) or there could be oils still coming through the snout of the spindle (where the axle shaft comes through).

The consistency was brake fluid but the smell was gear oil. Anywho, all new seals will be used! A couple more pics:
dZ6rH6a.jpg

ZJlddJe.jpg

Honestly wasn't expecting this.....
YUFUAl1.jpg

4gQmds9.jpg

I assumed there would be some type of oil bath in there?

Back