• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

99 TAHOE 2X4 gasser

Got the dash back in it today, buttoned back up most of the way, fired it up, and charged the ac. Looks like I'm going to have to put an ac control head in it. No matter what I do, it will not trigger the solenoid for the heater control valve to close, so I have to dig into that, but I have a feeling it's the control head as it looks ROUGH! I'm also having an issue with the fans. They run as soon as the ac kicks on, but don't kick out at the set pressures. They turned on and off(at least on low speed) for the 1st fan stage no problem, but I set them to kick off at 175 psi on the high side, but they were staying on down to 155. Hopefully it's just a setting I goofed up in the tuning, but it RUNS! Another day or 2 and it's on to the next project(got a th400 to 4l80e swap to do in an 88 square body).

Marine intake all buttoned and egr deleted(wasn't worth the extra hassle to put in). Installed silicone heater hoses and routed the return to the radiator instead of the water pump like GM used to(it keeps coolant moving across the trans cooler at all times to maintain more consistent trans temp). Relocated the battery to the drivers side(future plans for a true cold air intake to go where the old battery was).
View attachment 57687

Cleans it up a bit without the engine driven fan. These electric fans move an INSANE amount of air. I put them on high and holy crap at the air moving.
View attachment 57688
Nice indeed, I like Purosil silicone hoses however; I need to get the coiled hose wrap to hold squirrels at bay those little s___s have been chewing up everything from wires fuel tank on genset gas containes and to hoses.

Do not ASSume new parts = good parts. Brand new AC Delco 15psi cap, doesn't begin to open until 18 psi, and mostly open at 19-20 psi. My Tahoe had just had a radiator put in it before I bought it, it now has another new one courtesy of an AC Delco cap I didn't pressure test before installing because it was brand new. Way to go GM outsourcing AC Delco to China now.

I also picked up a new Motorad cap from Napa, it doesn't begin to open until 17. Found an OLD 15 psi cap from my 6.5(15 years old), it opens dead on at 15 psi, and holds.

IMG_20191202_145635677~2.jpg

How did the 400 to 4L80E swap go ?
Took alot longer than expected(the list of problems outgrew what I could get done for quite some time), but he was ecstatically happy when I was done.

Now I'm working on radiator #4 trying to find one that the trans cooler lines won't leak on. They now want you to put a thick spongy oring in to seal an inverted flare because they don't cut the threads deep enough anymore. Needless to say that won't work for me.

Next up on my list, found a 95 C2500 14 bolt SF axle at a local yard. These things are getting TOUGH to find. I also picked up an extra set of spindles, 6 lug front rotors, forged upper control arms, and a nbs hydro-boost unit. I plan on doing nbs 13" dual piston disc brakes front & rear with the matching hydro-boost and master cylinder. It should have INSANE brakes when I'm done.

FB_IMG_1617767065875.jpg

Short 0-60 video I did the other night as a "before" video. Doesn't run to terribly bad for a "mostly" stock 5.7l vortec with 3.42 gears and 31x10.50 tires. Thinking of trying some tuning on the old vortec before I go to tune the LS. If I screw it up who cares, it's coming out anyways.

Short 0-60 video I did the other night as a "before" video. Doesn't run to terribly bad for a "mostly" stock 5.7l vortec with 3.42 gears and 31x10.50 tires. Thinking of trying some tuning on the old vortec before I go to tune the LS. If I screw it up who cares, it's coming out anyways.

Not real bad at all, looked like maybe an 8 second, zero to sixty run?

Maybe do some 60-0 also to compare those brakes before and after.
Yeah, um, getting on the brakes on this thing is scary. It don't stop for crap and goes every direction but straight. I still can't believe GM put these things out with brakes this bad. Not to mention my front rotors are warped from when I went into Tampa a few weeks back, had to get on them, overheated them, and warped the rotors. Just 1 more reason to upgrade the brakes.

Not real bad at all, looked like maybe an 8 second, zero to sixty run?
It sure aint the Suburban, but not bad. If GM had put the marine intakes on these things from the factory, the LS engine rollout in the trucks would not have been as impressive. I should have done a video of it with the stock muffler and intake vs now as the intake really woke it up. Still need to install my wideband O2 sensor so I can practice tuning on this engine. If I hurt it, who cares, but I don't want to screw up my LQ9.

@THEFERMANATOR , your 99 was not a slouch for sure. It was as fast as some that I have driven.

Disclaimer: The ones I were driving were not plain Jane models they were PPV versions.

I drove some some early 2000's Tahoes with the 5.3 and the 4 speed I seemed to think they ate my 2011, 5.3 liter 6 speed for lunch, as far as bottom end. I have no clue about the top end on the 4 speed, 5.3 Vortecs, I never got to stretch ones legs out, but I believe the 6 speed 5.3 Vortecs had them covered on the top end at 139 MPH.

Here was the best times with my ole girl according to the test. She was not fast off the line but she had a top end of 139 MPH.

MAKE & MODEL: 2011 Chevrolet Tahoe PPV E85

ACCELERATION SPEEDS

RUN#1 RUN#2 RUN#3 RUN#4 AVERAGE

0 – 60 8.18, 8.22, 8.28, 8.27 8.24

0 – 80, 14.00, 13.72, 14.01, 13.67 13.85

0 – 100 22.11 21.24 21.96 21.42 21.68

DISTANCE TO REACH: 110 MPH .56 mile 120 MPH .84 mile

TOP SPEED ATTAINED: 139 mph

Last edited:
@BIGR Guess that's why we never met, my top end wasn't governed.. LOL

I must add this part indeed. IF, there was not some sort of tire squealing or the back end was not hung out side ways then you were not doing your job at the wheel...... :D 😉

The GORGE was one H$LL of a place to test one to the limits for sure. Not by choice, but I put a many of vehicles to the limit through there and look back at it as, I had a co-pilot through there....;) I often count my blessings, I was a young fearless fool for sure, I still like a driving challenge, but not like the ole days.

Back