• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 6.5 td swap

Does anyone know anything about the roosamaster db2-4091 ?

Roosamaster --> Stanadyne

Same thing, different name. Literally "Standard Screw" becomes --> Stanad yne

https://www.stanadyne.com/history/timeline/

Very likely that old pump could use a rebuild esp. for improved governor parts and worn advance piston. I know (same brand) Pumps on Oldsmobile had governor flex ring failures/recalls from drygas use and same stuff is in modern diesel now. (Engine runaway from governor failure and BOOM!) Think of it as a carb rebuild.

Last edited:

Looks like an A6 compressor! Some debate awhile ago on here as to if the A6 was ever put on a 6.2. That big displacement cast iron Tank of a compressor will perform better than the newer one that you don't have (missing in pic) on the 6.5. Lifetime of the A6 clutch not so much as it has to get a lot of compresser mass spinning. Thanks for confirming my memory as to what I recalled our 1988 6.2 had on it.

Last edited:
Have the old 6.2 or pile-o-parts? Looks like you are missing manifolds, air cleaner, etc.

There are some db pumps that wont do well.

Yes - but usually the 4911 simply says that only on it. It is for the 6.5 turbo diesel and is the last incarnation of the DB2 for the
6.5 Turbo diesel. As I originally said to get he best performance - the DB2 you have for the 6.2 "MAY" need mods to get more fuel out of it. You would use a "Boost Master" type spring operated mechanical wast gate mod on the 6.5 turbo

As WarWagon said at https://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/6-2-6-5-td-swap.47751/post-564282 the Turbo is going to be a problem. We had a guy move his forward slightly by having custom piping for under it made by a muffler shop and using a weldable turbo mount plate off eBay

DB2_4911.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like an A6 compressor! Some debate awhile ago on here as to if the A6 was ever put on a 6.2. That big displacement cast iron Tank of a compressor will perform better than the newer one that you don't have (missing in pic) on the 6.5. Lifetime of the A6 clutch not so much as it has to get a lot of compresser mass spinning. Thanks for confirming my memory as to what I recalled our 1988 6.2 had on it.
That is the 6.5td I bought to replace the 6.2

That is the 6.5td I bought to replace the 6.2

A6.jpg

A6 compressor under the hood here is what I was referring too, circled. It looks like the 6.5 doesn't have an AC compressor on it.

The rossamaster labeled pumps are the old ones, and all the newer ones are labeled stanandyne. Yes same company- sorry my bad on crappy description.
The 2831-4911 is one of about 6 highly desired 2 piston pumps. The main reason they were desired is the “31” part of the numbers as that is the size of the 2 plungers and the 4911 already had some of the better hardened parts.
Having any of the 31 sized db2 that gets rebuilt with all hardened parts achieves the same thing afaik.

It would be best to inow the plunger size, but like mentioned before, roosamaster (labeled) info is hard to come by.
Didn’t we have a pump list on here somewhere?

On to the 6.5- you have the crap 4 bolt unbalanced waterpump. You need the new AC Delco spinon with kenedy fan clutch.

Back