• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 6.5 td swap

You seriously need to investigate the known clearance problem with the heater/AC box and turbo that 6.5 stock manifolds and crossovers have on this body style. A NBS 6.5TD setup isn't gonna fit your '80's Body Style with the HVAC box in the way. A used banks turbo kit would fit (never mind the turbo) the manifolds and crossover is important.

Quick and dirty to get back up and running is just leave it NA and swap the IP, manifolds, and the V-Belt stuff to the 6.5. Just treat it like a longblock swap.

Do you need a heater or AC on this truck?

You seriously need to investigate the known clearance problem with the heater/AC box and turbo that 6.5 stock manifolds and crossovers have on this body style. A NBS 6.5TD setup isn't gonna fit your '80's Body Style with the HVAC box in the way. A used banks turbo kit would fit (never mind the turbo) the manifolds and crossover is important.

Quick and dirty to get back up and running is just leave it NA and swap the IP, manifolds, and the V-Belt stuff to the 6.5. Just treat it like a longblock swap.

Do you need a heater or AC on this truck?
My engine was missing parts when I got this wrecker I don't have any of the vbelt accessories

Post some pictures of your project if you can and list what you have to work with. We were assuming you had a different situation. Any budget to work with?

Manifolds?

Some of us have parts laying around for V belt 6.2's and there are some blown 6.2's around for cheap that have what you may need. Custom AC lines may be the most expensive part of keeping the serpentine drive.

Post some pictures of your project if you can and list what you have to work with. We were assuming you had a different situation. Any budget to work with?

Manifolds?

Some of us have parts laying around for V belt 6.2's and there are some blown 6.2's around for cheap that have what you may need. Custom AC lines may be the most expensive part of keeping the serpentine drive.
I wanted to keep turbo on the motor I'll take some pics tomorrow budget is very limited

I don’t know if the 84 had a oil cooler on it or not but if it did I would seriously consider replacing the oil cooler and lines.

Look at the t stat crossover on the 6.5 and see if it has one t stat or two.

Get a water pump for the 2000 year model 6.5 and if it’s dual t stats then get Leroy’s BRF ( bypass restricted fitting ).

Go ahead and get rid of the vacuum pump bolted to the 6.5 and get the shorter belt

Look at these pics- see how there is more number there? That is what is needed. There are some db pumps that wont do well. The pic is a db4831 5722. This means it is a 4 plunger, 8 cylinder, with size 31 cups. This is what matters. The last 4 matter also, but not as much and the first part.

04C80660-8AF0-47F8-97F7-5BC7FE30CB64.png6E1B7849-5CB6-4C63-AAB4-EC0F2CA34B1C.png

Do you know if
Look at these pics- see how there is more number there? That is what is needed. There are some db pumps that wont do well. The pic is a db4831 5722. This means it is a 4 plunger, 8 cylinder, with size 31 cups. This is what matters. The last 4 matter also, but not as much and the first part.

View attachment 54767View attachment 54768
I'll take a pic tomorrow of IP but mine isn't a stanadyne

Roosamaster? Hmm. I am no help with those. All you could do is try and cross fingers unless someone here knows volume numbers for the stuff that was old school in the old days. I never heard of any good hp numbers from a roosamaster, but free is free!

Post as many pics of truck, and engines as you can so we can see what you are up against.

A budget and use of truck helps. Same with how many miles you need out of it before more $ is available to do long term advancements.

Roosamaster? Hmm. I am no help with those. All you could do is try and cross fingers unless someone here knows volume numbers for the stuff that was old school in the old days. I never heard of any good hp numbers from a roosamaster, but free is free!

Post as many pics of truck, and engines as you can so we can see what you are up against.

A budget and use of truck helps. Same with how many miles you need out of it before more $ is available to do long term advancements.
Yes it's a roosamaster

Back