• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

6.2 6.5 td swap

Rogerhsr

Reaction score
I have a 1984 3500 wrecker was 6.2 I have bought a 6.5 td complete with all accessories and harness my concerns are can I use the 6.2 IP on the 6.5 or will I have to use the engine harness and ecm from 6.5td? Any advice would be appreciated

Yes and no - the injector lines on the 6.5 are different at the IP - otherwise you can put the DB2 mechanical pump itself on the 6.5 - but it is likely too small in terms of fuel delivery to give good performance - unless it is DB2 4911 - but it will "work" - you will just have to use both the IP and the Injection Lines. There are things you can search the Internet for on how to get more fuel out of a 6.2 DB2 so you can use it on a 6.5. A DB2 4911 is hard to find used - but you can buy them rebuilt.

If it is NOT a mechanical IP 6.5 - and you want to keep and use the turbo - again it depends on what you bought as a complete engine and harness. Only a few GM 6.5 turbo diesels were made and came with a setup for a mechanical IP. You would likely need to convert the turbo to a Turbo Master mechanical waste gate control type of setup which you can google to find info on

If you bought a 6.5 van motor - and turbo is in the center - because you have a 1984 truck this is going in - if it will fit due to the Turbo in the way - as it will normally not fit in a pick up truck size engine bay - you will not be able to get the transmission control and vacuum pump on it where it mounts at the rear of the engine. And the van motor has different angle to the manifold bolts so you will have a challenge using it.

If you want to use the DS4 IP I am assuming is on the 6.5 TD, then changing everything over is a major job - I do not want to explain and you really do not want to do. Plus it will not be as reliable

The 6.5 turbo's run out of air before a turned up 6.2 pump runs out of fuel.

The side mount turbo hits the AC box.

As a replacement long block a 6.5 is fine to replace a 6.2. The ds4 lines are different, what year 6.5? 1992 and 1993 are db2.

Why the swap?

Yeah, unless you go big turbo and really try for lornof power the 6.2 ip and injector lines will work. Just crank up
The fuel screw.

The 6.5 turbo's run out of air before a turned up 6.2 pump runs out of fuel.

The side mount turbo hits the AC box.

As a replacement long block a 6.5 is fine to replace a 6.2. The ds4 lines are different, what year 6.5? 1992 and 1993 are db2.

Why the swap?
I picked up the 6.5 cheap and the 6.2 was toast

Yes and no - the injector lines on the 6.5 are different at the IP - otherwise you can put the DB2 mechanical pump itself on the 6.5 - but it is likely too small in terms of fuel delivery to give good performance - unless it is DB2 4911 - but it will "work" - you will just have to use both the IP and the Injection Lines. There are things you can search the Internet for on how to get more fuel out of a 6.2 DB2 so you can use it on a 6.5. A DB2 4911 is hard to find used - but you can buy them rebuilt.

If it is NOT a mechanical IP 6.5 - and you want to keep and use the turbo - again it depends on what you bought as a complete engine and harness. Only a few GM 6.5 turbo diesels were made and came with a setup for a mechanical IP. You would likely need to convert the turbo to a Turbo Master mechanical waste gate control type of setup which you can google to find info on

If you bought a 6.5 van motor - and turbo is in the center - because you have a 1984 truck this is going in - if it will fit due to the Turbo in the way - as it will normally not fit in a pick up truck size engine bay - you will not be able to get the transmission control and vacuum pump on it where it mounts at the rear of the engine. And the van motor has different angle to the manifold bolts so you will have a challenge using it.

If you want to use the DS4 IP I am assuming is on the 6.5 TD, then changing everything over is a major job - I do not want to explain and you really do not want to do. Plus it will not be as reliable
Mine is a db2 4091 u know anything about this one?

What are the other 4 numbers on the pump? will be 29xx or 31xx
You will want the injectors already in the 6.5 as turbo injectors are higher pop pressure.

the db2 pump only gets 5psi. I suggest adding a 'T' right at the ip inlet for a fuel pressure gauge to be oermanently s
added to see while driving. the life of the pump is dramatically decreased under low pressure.
also use clear tubing out the front of the ip 1/4' by 6" long with 2 new hose clamps to monitor for bubbles flowing on future diagnostics. if replacing the other fuel line, use sae30r9. consider FTB mod

depending on age/ condition of the 6.5 going in, there are things to think about before it gets installed.
If you are not familiar with which parts are good and which are crap- ask before buying. plenty of crap parts and rip off places out there.
At 100,000 mile intervals new injectors, harmonic balancer & it's pulley.
what is timing chain condition
What waterpump are you running- 6.2 and 6.5 are different worlds there if v belt vs serpentine.

If you exhaust is toasty, a good time to get the 4" in there.

Show pics of the blown 6.2 in carnage thread for bragging rights ! haha.

You will want the injectors already in the 6.5 as turbo injectors are higher pop pressure.

the db2 pump only gets 5psi. I suggest adding a 'T' right at the ip inlet for a fuel pressure gauge to be oermanently s
added to see while driving. the life of the pump is dramatically decreased under low pressure.
also use clear tubing out the front of the ip 1/4' by 6" long with 2 new hose clamps to monitor for bubbles flowing on future diagnostics. if replacing the other fuel line, use sae30r9. consider FTB mod

depending on age/ condition of the 6.5 going in, there are things to think about before it gets installed.
If you are not familiar with which parts are good and which are crap- ask before buying. plenty of crap parts and rip off places out there.
At 100,000 mile intervals new injectors, harmonic balancer & it's pulley.
what is timing chain condition
What waterpump are you running- 6.2 and 6.5 are different worlds there if v belt vs serpentine.

If you exhaust is toasty, a good time to get the 4" in there.

Show pics of the blown 6.2 in carnage thread for bragging rights ! haha.
Db2-4091 and the 6.5 is complete serious belt setup and all

correct. you will use the factory truck wiring.
the pump has more numbers
db2 XXXX XXXX

make sure you are running the balanced flow waterpump. also consider Leroy's brf if dual stats in play. if single stat it needs to be the block off style.

correct. you will use the factory truck wiring.
the pump has more numbers
db2 XXXX XXXX

make sure you are running the balanced flow waterpump. also consider Leroy's brf if dual stats in play. if single stat it needs to be the block off style.
Db2-4091

the db2 pump only gets 5psi. .

The DB2 lift pump specs are TESTED on the bench stand at 5 psi as is the DS4

Running OEM specs are largely the same as the DS4 and the lift pumps are spec'ed the same

The DB2 can also take up 14 psi and the specs for even the 1992 mechanical lift pump to the 6.2 is 9 psi

The DB2 of the 6.5 mechanical IP takes a lift pump of 10 -14 psi

The same return line is on the IP to return fuel to the tank at max pressure to the inlet of the IP

The DB2 lift pump specs are TESTED on the bench stand at 5 psi as is the DS4

Running OEM specs are largely the same as the DS4 and the lift pumps are spec'ed the same

The DB2 can also take up 14 psi and the specs for even the 1992 mechanical lift pump to the 6.2 is 9 psi

The DB2 of the 6.5 mechanical IP takes a lift pump of 10 -14 psi

The same return line is on the IP to return fuel to the tank at max pressure to the inlet of the IP
So I'll remove the 6.5 IP and toss it and won't need none of the 1996 wiring?

So I'll remove the 6.5 IP and toss it and won't need none of the 1996 wiring?

Ahem... sell on ebay or here as a core...

Vbelts or Serp setup going back in?

Are you just swapping the long block in? Trying to go turbo or other major changes?

Suggest re-ring of 6.5 engine because rings are the the only wear item resulting in blowby. As in deglaze cylinders with cordless drill, put new rings in aka overhaul, NOT a rebuild, and don't waste 10 cents on machine work.

Longblock swap staying NA:
Different injector angle on 6.5 heads - bend 6.2 lines carefully. New/rebuilt 6.2 long body injectors?
Timing set has the pickup wheel on the crank - use either set, new, as they both fit.

Recommend gear set as chains stretch out quick.

Oil drain plug will be diffrent side, but, can't swap pans due to crank shaft seal: rope/one piece.

Belt setup makes a difference on waterpump and water pump backing plate due to rotation. Misc holes to plug like turbo oil line and glow plug sensors.

Replace the oil cooler as it has derbis in it waiting to kill the new engine.

I'm
Ahem... sell on ebay or here as a core...

Vbelts or Serp setup going back in?

Are you just swapping the long block in? Trying to go turbo or other major changes?

Suggest re-ring of 6.5 engine because rings are the the only wear item resulting in blowby. As in deglaze cylinders with cordless drill, put new rings in aka overhaul, NOT a rebuild, and don't waste 10 cents on machine work.

Longblock swap staying NA:
Different injector angle on 6.5 heads - bend 6.2 lines carefully. New/rebuilt 6.2 long body injectors?
Timing set has the pickup wheel on the crank - use either set, new, as they both fit.

Recommend gear set as chains stretch out quick.

Oil drain plug will be diffrent side, but, can't swap pans due to crank shaft seal: rope/one piece.

Belt setup makes a difference on waterpump and water pump backing plate due to rotation. Misc holes to plug like turbo oil line and glow plug sensors.

Replace the oil cooler as it has derbis in it waiting to kill the new engine.
Installing 6.5 with the turbo and serpentine belt accessories

Back