• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

i clamped the toolbox down. secured now. think it was in the 70's, beautiful, with no humidity.

Thanks for the headlight info responses. I have in the shop a WT front grille setup was pondering a while back to convert over to sealed hellas to get away from plastic lenses. Seeing the LED sealed units has got me thinking about this again.

In the spirit of what did you do, yesterday I laid underneath and repaired the starter solenoid wire in Lowes car park where it decided to fall off. Nice being a Mobile Marine mechanic you carry many things to fix your truck underway!

Last weekend for its 200,000 mile birthday I relocated the Fuel Filter Manager and mounted it in the spot for the 2nd Alternator. Had a bad leak on it, coming from the heater and figured whilst i was at it I'd get it out of the stupid stock location. Had no time to screw around figuring what was leaking so purchased a whole new unit which was cheaper that the some of the parts, heater WIF sensor etc.

Cheers
Nobby

Mobile marine mechanic? I am in the middle of repowering a Conch 27 from Volvo KAD 44 diesel i/o to twin Yamaha F200s on an Armstrong bracket. The Volvo gave it up. Compressor grenaded and shards of metal went through the turbo and into the aftercooler, resulting in a leak and the engine ingesting saltwater. They no longer make the 24 valve cylinder head for that engine and once the engine ingests saltwater, they typically crack and are not repairable. Outdrive needed to be replaced and those are $15K alone. If I could find a cylinder head, it would have been $30K for a rebuild on the engine. So I bought twin Yamaha F200s with 360 hours on them, run as test engine by a Yamaha Certified Mechanic and owned by Yamaha, so I will get 1 year of warranty. Includes gauges, controls, everything for $24K. Boat is currently in for glass work to plug the transom and convert the engine box to storage.

Yesterday, rescued truck stranded 100+ miles away in Ventura from a water in fuel event. Then treated her to new door latch pins. Still play in the doors. Next I'll try the door weather seal trick.

Attachments

• Dooor pIn 1.JPG
    Dooor pIn 1.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 7
  • door pin 2.JPG
    door pin 2.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 7
retarded timing and noise from engine went away. was nice to hear the engine instead of what sounded like all of the lifters clattering all at one. on the last few miles home, sounded like the noise was back. i will confirm tomorrow. might need to add lock washers to the IP bolts.

1 drop of blue loctite per bolt is a good thing
that will be done next time i'm in there, thanks.
today tried to connect the cold advance wiring but couldn't locate where i left it. added some oil instead.

On my way home from work, turned down our street and ended up right behind my son in his '94 K2500 Suburban. He slowed, the rolled coal on me twice. It brought a smile to my face.

had some grinding from the front brakes.
removed drivers and saw this:

never heard the squeal.
got pads, 2 rotors, fluid and brake cleaner. one of the pads was shattered when i looked at it so need to return tomorrow.

I've seen a lot worse. Not on my vehicle, mind you, it was a Ford Tempo a friend of mine's ex-wife owned. She said she had "brake noise" that lasted for a few weeks, then went away a couple of months before my friend decided to have his ex drive over to my house to have me take a look at the car. Jacked the front of the car up and pulled the right tire off and about shit at what I saw. The rotor was in two pieces! Two concentric circles with about an inch wide "outer" rotor and a half inch wide "inner" rotor around the hat. There was a sliver of the outer pad's backing plate resting in the caliper and the inner pad was completely gone and the piston was extended out until it was touching the outer pad's backing plate, the steel piston had cut through the iron rotor! Another 1/8" of extension and the seal would have come out of the bore! The driver's side was the same way, too! She had been stopping on her rear drums only for the past two months! The reservoir for the master cylinder had about a half inch of fluid in it, just enough to cover the orifices for the piston when the brake pedal was pushed down. That was probably the scariest part, how close she had come to total brake failure if it had sucked any air into the system while carting the kids around. Needless to say, a trip to O'Reilly's for new rotors, pads and calipers and a quart of brake fluid!

I've seen a lot worse. Not on my vehicle, mind you, it was a Ford Tempo a friend of mine's ex-wife owned. She said she had "brake noise" that lasted for a few weeks, then went away a couple of months before my friend decided to have his ex drive over to my house to have me take a look at the car. Jacked the front of the car up and pulled the right tire off and about shit at what I saw. The rotor was in two pieces! Two concentric circles with about an inch wide "outer" rotor and a half inch wide "inner" rotor around the hat. There was a sliver of the outer pad's backing plate resting in the caliper and the inner pad was completely gone and the piston was extended out until it was touching the outer pad's backing plate, the steel piston had cut through the iron rotor! Another 1/8" of extension and the seal would have come out of the bore! The driver's side was the same way, too! She had been stopping on her rear drums only for the past two months! The reservoir for the master cylinder had about a half inch of fluid in it, just enough to cover the orifices for the piston when the brake pedal was pushed down. That was probably the scariest part, how close she had come to total brake failure if it had sucked any air into the system while carting the kids around. Needless to say, a trip to O'Reilly's for new rotors, pads and calipers and a quart of brake fluid!

This is why I regularly drive my wife's car(S) and she is to immediately report (call) to me upon any light coming on or odd sound heard. Mine is pretty well trained. This woman described above is scary dense.

finally had time to get after the drivers side brake.
here's a compare between old and new.
this is not Saturn:

have the pass side to do next. might hit that tomorrow. need to go burn em in.

Ya need to know if the caliper hung up on the slides, if the piston hung up in the caliper, or if the pad just gor ripped off the backing plate. Otherwise, it is coming again...

maybe but i think the slide pins were hanging up. if it looks like it is going to happen again i will replace them.

Back