• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Found a hole in 1 of the freeze plugs on the driver side head. Fun Fun Fun. Now I get to try and find these little things.

Sunday I removed and replace the Crossover Pipe on my son's '94 Suburban, including a pyrometer fitting just below the DS manifold. I had bent the prior when I ran over a juniper tree while pulling out other Juniper trees. No good deed goes unpunished. Will need this Burb towing a flatbed to rescue the waterlogged '99 from Ventura this weekend.

bought a plastic bed mount toolbox from craigs, $40.00. cut the bottom, placed it over the bed mounted tank and now the tank is invisible. lift lid to fill and check gauge. left a flap to extend to the bottom of the tank.
gone:
check:

fill:

store:

At first glance I thought you had two passenger side assemblies, then I realized that the one in back was upside down!

HID's put out good light but i don't like their reliability. never know what you're getting unless you take out a second mortgage. i've had a set of cheaper ones and they sucked.

HID's put out good light but i don't like their reliability. never know what you're getting unless you take out a second mortgage. i've had a set of cheaper ones and they sucked.

HIDs are great but you need the right housings. Finding the right housings amidst all the offerings is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The bulbs and ballasts are super cheap now.

HIDs are great but you need the right housings. Finding the right housings amidst all the offerings is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. The bulbs and ballasts are super cheap now.
And extremely reliable. I've had 55W 5000°K HID's in the Low and High positions of my Burb (aftermarket projector headlights) since 2014 and have been running 35W 6000°K in the factory Low position of my Camry for the past year with zero problems out of any of them. All were eBay specials, the ones for my Camry were $25 for the set, cheaper than Sylvania Ultra Halogen bulbs!

i bought a set of HID's for the Jetta a few years ago. guy still builds/sells them. drivers side flickered so bad that it looked like flames shooting were out in front. emailed the guy, sent another ballast/harness/bulb. didn't fix the problem so i put in my old set of halogens. guess i got the only defective set in the world.

Hopefully someone will make some LED lights soon that have remote, replaceable drivers. That is all that usually goes out with LED.

At work I am doing LED retrofit of HID, Halogen, Metal Halide, fluorescent, etc lighting fixtures for buildings, street lighting,etc. The lifespan is SOooo much more and the light output is way better. LED drivers are much less expensive to make than ballast. When dealing with things that are already dc power, even better. They also handle heat and cold better. One complaint a lot of hummer owners have is having to buy ones that have a heat strip for the snow, because they dont waste energy getting hot compared to normal lighting.

I know there are some good options for my hummer, as 2D1 bulb. Are there any good options for the gmt400? Becareful of lifetime warranty of LED lights- make sure not just the LEDs are warrantied, but bow long is the driver for them warrantied.

i bought a set of HID's for the Jetta a few years ago. guy still builds/sells them. drivers side flickered so bad that it looked like flames shooting were out in front. emailed the guy, sent another ballast/harness/bulb. didn't fix the problem so i put in my old set of halogens. guess i got the only defective set in the world.

You had a bad set-up. Sounds like bad ballasts.

Back