• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

GMT-800 style Trailer Tow mirrors TTM for GMT-400 trucks

Was reading through this, im beginnning to like the GM style mirrors better than the Dodge flip outs. I would get the manual mirrors. But i am also interested in the LED turns in them too. Is this possible leroy?

They don't offer that way, sorry. Getting low on selection also. Available as of now is manual and power wo/marker light.

I added a LED puddle light to mine (You could use one as a marker) and a LED arrow turn sig to mine.
Will post pictures soon.

Leroy--what did you find/use for the LED puddle light?

I'm very interested in any pics you might have.

Don

I am using a LED strip. Got it from auto zone. It shines bright white and will be great at night. I've got them mounted on the slide bar at an angle facing down and toward the rear in hopes it will light up the door handle lock cylinder too. Going to hook them up to the dome lights. When the remote start is activated they will come on.

Will get some pictures soon.

Puddle lights

Puddle Lights are working good. They are a strip of 6 bright LEDs. I have them on the extending bar and angled down and rearward. I wanted them to light up the ground and also the lock cylinder.

TTM install 005.jpg

The light is washing out the LEDs, but look at the reflection in the door and you see 6 LEDs.
TTM install 004.JPG

Terrible picture, but it does light up the area well enough.
TTM install 002.jpg

I depined the stock 4 pin connector and temporarily stuck them into the TTM 8 pin to confirm function. Also in the picture is the new 8 pin connector. I have transfered the green wire into it and followed up with the other three.
TTM install 006.jpg
Added the red and black wire for the heater. I could have installed the marker lights in the two empty holes, but I wanted to do this mod the same way the average person will be doing it.
TTM install 009.jpg
White wire retainer installed
TTM install 011.jpg

Slot "c" got the blue wire from truck side of harness. Slot "d" got green.
TTM install 013.jpg

TTM install 017.jpg

TTM install 015.jpg
Puddle light location
TTM install 001.jpg
Puddle light wire is long enough to fish though to extension and into the door when mounted.
TTM install 002.jpg
Removed TTM marker light and Pushed a coat hanger through to fish puddle light and LED arrow light 12v source wires.
I taped the ground wire on the puddle light to share the same ground as the LED arrow.
The LED arrow will get power on the pre diode side of the turn signal input wire to the TTM marker lights.
TTM install 005.jpg
This is what my diode config looked like.
TTM install 004.jpg

Looking good Leroy!!

I'm going to have to look around here locally for something for puddle lights, I like the idea. I still haven't done anything about getting mirror scraps to experiment with trying to grind off the coating for the turn lights. I guess I better get off my duff and do something about that. I still need to get some of those arrow shaped lights also.

Don

Looks good Leroy. I wired mine in a similar fashion, except I did add the parking/signal to that plug.

Also, everyone be careful. I caught my mirror on the garage door frame at my parents place and the glass stuck out far enough to not allow the mirror to fold forward and it tweaked the glass, breaking it.
2011-06-13_10-34-35_133.jpg

Looking good Leroy!!

I'm going to have to look around here locally for something for puddle lights, I like the idea. I still haven't done anything about getting mirror scraps to experiment with trying to grind off the coating for the turn lights. I guess I better get off my duff and do something about that. I still need to get some of those arrow shaped lights also.

Don

Mask it off and sand blast it

Looks good Leroy. I wired mine in a similar fashion, except I did add the parking/signal to that plug.

Also, everyone be careful. I caught my mirror on the garage door frame at my parents place and the glass stuck out far enough to not allow the mirror to fold forward and it tweaked the glass, breaking it.

That sucks, well now you have a peice you can sand on or sand blast like AK said (good idea)

Leroy...you are my hero. I havent been on the site in a while due to work and life being so busy. What a nice surprise to see you are now carrying the towing mirrors! Could you please get me a price on the manual mirrors shipped to zip code 06830? You can PM me the info and ill probably order today. Thanks a lot

-Nick

Last edited:
Just checked. Only ones available now are Power and Power w/heat both have no marker light/s
It will be 29 June before only 5 more sets of manual are available.

You can prepay and get dibs on a set if you like.

Leroy

Got my new mirrors installed yesterday. Very happy with the results. Fit and finish of the mirrors is perfect. I really dont see any noticable difference between these and the factory GM mirrors on my 06'. I went with the power heated mirrors as the price increase over the manual ones wasnt much.

My only complaint was that i wish the top mounting stud for the inner bracket was about a 1/4" longer. I needed to rework the bracket a bit so I could get the nut started. Other than that they look and function great. Much more visability around the sides of the truck and trailer as well as the ground with the spot mirror.

I dont have the heat or the power hooked up yet as i will be replacing my doors with a rust free power set (as soon as I can find them).

Thanks again Leroy. Here are some pictures for everyone:

-Nick

IMG_0213.jpg
IMG_0212.jpg
IMG_0214.jpg
IMG_0215.jpg
IMG_0216.jpg
IMG_0217.jpg
IMG_0218.jpg

If you reuse one of the old nuts for the top it helps greatly. What I do is get the nuts started on the bottom 2 studs. Leave very loose. I used a vice grip bar clamp to squeeze the top in very tight[or a helper could lift up on them]. Once the top is started a couple turns, tighten the bottom 2 ,then come back to the top. A bunch of pics of the install in my install thread http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/sh...e-Chris-Cam-mirrors-From-PMD-Cable-.Com-Leroy

Looks real good Nick, you can see around that box on the back now!!

I had good luck installing the top nut first. Also reused stock nuts, the new ones look like the will rust??

Looks real good Nick, you can see around that box on the back now!!

I had good luck installing the top nut first. Also reused stock nuts, the new ones look like the will rust??

Yea i tried top nut first, bottom nuts first. Neither way seemed to work better for me. A little bit of reworking on the bracket made it a breeze. Wasnt difficult at all...just took some time. My truck only had a few stock mirror nuts left as previous mirror removals seemed to have lost the rest

I was amazed how much more visability I have behind the truck now. With the stock mirrors, the trailer would dissapear behind the truck when hooking it up. Even with the towing mirrors in the closed position I had a visual of the trailer front the entire time. Very happy with them.

what does one need diodes for. Might help if I knew what a diode is ? If I was gonna wire it up so the mirror LED's were on with the park or headlights and wanted to use the led on the mirror as a turn signal also I would tap off the positive wires that go to either the front left or right side marker light. Run a wire up to your mirror and that's it. On my truck the front side marker lights are on with the park lights and when you flip the turn signal the truck cuts power to either marker light allowing it to flash, It would also cut power to the LED's on the mirror and you have your flash as well. any idea what power, heated and led mirrors are worth for shipping to 98230. Ed

Back