• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Got both rocker covers offt.
On this go round, I will figure a way to get sealer on the rear ends of the cylinder heads.
I must say, it was a blitch getting the pulley removed from the PS pump but it now is accomplished.
That should end the struggle of getting that cover for the left side dropped into position.

I was referring to the molding strip that goes along the lower doors, not decal removal.
View attachment 81684
I’ll let you know what works. Probably a version of what I described earlier. Pry up a corner to get a lifting point to pull it off. Except, instead of a thin razor blade, I’ll use a hard plastic putty knife. Will try to remove remaining adhesive with Glue-Be-Gone type stuff and move on to lacquer thinner/acetone if that proves ineffective. I’m repainting so not too worried about damage to the paint. I’ll use the ’eraser’ wheel on the thinner remaining residue.

I think I dont like this new “ Right Stuff “ gasket adhesive sealer.
It now is grey in color and is almost as thin as Honda Bond adhesive.
I started out with the old dispenser container of black right stuff. It run out.
Went to the parts store to get another container, the jug was larger in size, well thats okay. Got home, started squirting some on the rocker covers and it dont match in color. Flowed out with a thinner consistency as the old black stuff.
Guess it should seal okay, I just warnt expecting such a change is all.

I think I dont like this new “ Right Stuff “ gasket adhesive sealer.
It now is grey in color and is almost as thin as Honda Bond adhesive.
I started out with the old dispenser container of black right stuff. It run out.
Went to the parts store to get another container, the jug was larger in size, well thats okay. Got home, started squirting some on the rocker covers and it dont match in color. Flowed out with a thinner consistency as the old black stuff.
Guess it should seal okay, I just warnt expecting such a change is all.
That's not new. Just a different product. I saw gray several years ago

I’ll let you know what works. Probably a version of what I described earlier. Pry up a corner to get a lifting point to pull it off. Except, instead of a thin razor blade, I’ll use a hard plastic putty knife. Will try to remove remaining adhesive with Glue-Be-Gone type stuff and move on to lacquer thinner/acetone if that proves ineffective. I’m repainting so not too worried about damage to the paint. I’ll use the ’eraser’ wheel on the thinner remaining residue.
Use a heat gun to loosen the glue first...

Not a GMT-400, but an Echo SRM-2400 1E. Replacing the oil seals on the crankshaft, a number of gaskets, carburetor and a new fuel tank. Unfortunately, work is stalled as I wait for some of the gaskets.

I split the case halves after these pics and cleaned the hell out of everything including that caked on grease in the clutch housing in the background. Everything was fresh and minty before I put the case halves back together and installed the oil seals. So I am stalled at installing the cylinder/head as I need that base gasket.
View attachment 81465View attachment 81466
Finally got the remaining gasket, carburetor and fuel tank to finish this and it starts first pull. Not bad for $50 in parts for something I was ready to toss in the trash. When I felt it still had good compression, I knew it was salvageable.

Replaced the leaking VTEC Solenoid on my Honda Accord. Had to remove the exhaust header to create access/room. Had to cut the rounded head off one bolt. Applied Honda Bond sealant around the outside of the oil seal. I’m going Marty on this one.
View attachment 81682View attachment 81683
Well this did not solve all of my oil leak problem. Looks like I’m getting some oil leakage from above the VTEC solenoid valve, which points to the valve cover leaking. Ordered a new OEM valve cover gasket and I will redo that.

Well krap. just drove home bringing my son home from work tonight and something I have never experienced happened. I had pulled up to a stop sign just one block from the house, when I started to go (turning left) my truck started to seem like the rear tires were skipping as if something was trying to lock up. I went further down the street and began turning into my driveway and the same thing happened again. the best way i can describe it is how a truck with 4x4 is engaged and you attempt to make a sharp turn. Mind you my truck is only a two wheel drive.

I looked underneath and didn't see anything obvious, so I got back in and reversed out of the driveway with the windows down to hear what was happening. when I reversed and began to turn the wheel I heard and felt the rear diff try to lock as if the posi was locking up. a couple of louder clanks and it seemed to free up. took it down the block and made a couple of turns, seemed to have stopped this nonsense.

it's too late and dark to try checking the diff oil. would anyone have any suggestions what might be happening here?

Meanwhile I have the battery charger on the Jetta just in case I need to use it for work in the morning.

Back