• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

yes, i know. pretty much have to do it by myself.
Maybe disable the fuel so it won't start and rig you up a push button to crank it over while you look? I'm sure with that size of a leak you're sure to see a river flow while cranking!

do you have an auto or manual tranny? maybe if you can pull the lower cover back to see close to the rear main? Maybe use some break parts cleaner to clean the area up. I can't think of anything around the valley that would leak that bad, only maybe if the OPS is broken at the threads or coming from a head gasket.

@deejaaa Leroy will know a lot more that I would lol. if you are able to get it up on a set of ramps and rig you up a button to crank without starting it. you might at least be able to pinpoint the leak. I haven't been around the 6.5's very long but I'm not too sure a rear main would leak that fast unless the seal was completely blown out of it's grove in the block. I am thinking more about the oil pressure sensor breaking or maybe the plug on the back or the valley where the oil pump drive gear and shaft is. I think there is a cam position sensor there on the older models.

I replaced the OEM lower steering shaft with the rag joint with the Borgeson lower steering with the universal joint. Major pain in the ass to get it in because the upper shaft fit too snug in the Borgeson unit. Had to tap and pull back and forth, lube, back and forth, lube, repeat to get any semblance of sliding. Still made for a pita to get it in and I had to undo the upper to finish this. Spent 3 hours on something that should have taken 30 minutes.

39D5B7E7-07CB-4300-B41E-741FD54CEED7.jpeg

Still not sure if it is all the way on:

68DB92A0-CA16-40CA-ACFC-6C4D84E489BC.jpeg

That set screw was backed out and went in less than a turn, suggesting that it is not hitting the groove in the steering box shaft.

Video of the play in the rag joint:

Guess how much play that caused at the steering wheel?

Last edited:
Blew a steer tire yesterday morning on way to doctors appointment...I had two good tires in the back of the truck I had just had mounted the day before. Trucks way out of alignment from damage to lower control arm. It's twisted like my mind..lol.. I've been just throwing my old tires on the front end ever few weeks or month as they tore up.. cause I haven't really had it in me to do all the work on the truck and don't have the cash to pay to have it done .. ideler arm was shot pitman arm was shot , bearings on passenger side are shot cause last person that did them left the hub nut to loose . So anyway to add insult to injury and because God has a great sense of humor, as I pulled of the side the road thinking "no biggie I can change tire in five minutes and still get to Dr.....". I get to the back of the truck and realize my Jake is at home...I'd taken it out of the truck cause I needed to haul a load of debris to The land fill the day before.😒....so I limped it to a shop about a mile away thankful I was in town not on highway...20 bucks later the 2tires that were in back of the truck were on the front end... Not making it to doc soooo....
Came home stewed about it for a few minutes.....nope I'm tired of this shit...time to put all these parts in and get it aligned while I can....
Ideler and the arm came out pretty easy...(after fishing the bolts out of the frame with magnetic stick I had the new one in , in under a hour...then the fun started..
Who ever the hell designed these trucks is a sadist.... because right dead center of the cross member is that plate that sticks out about 6 .inch's...the center tie rod goes right over it... So after taking the castle nut off and taking the big nut off that holds the pitman arm on the gear box used the puller to get it loose from the gear box then realized something..no matter how I turned it I couldn't get it actually of the shaft and our of the hole in center tie rod at same time..after fighting with it for 40 minutes I finally thought well you dumb shit just unbolt the damn gear box and lift it up off the pitman....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: ok it's off ...pitman arm is changed. ....I feel stupid..... all is right with the world...nope...new pitman slid on the spline shaft of gearbox abou maybe half way got washer and nut on and started tightening the nut...I couldn't get the arm to go as far up the shaft as the old one was no matter how hard I wrenched on it...the arm is "on" and the nut is tight but it's not right...so today I get to try to figure this out...shaft and arm are bothe 4spline so it matches up...can't believe it's supposed to be like that....
The other project for today is to change the lower control arm and sway bar link..and change the bearing on the passenger side....this should be fun.... thankful it's 2wheel drive so shouldn't be too too bad.

Blew a steer tire yesterday morning on way to doctors appointment...I had two good tires in the back of the truck I had just had mounted the day before. Trucks way out of alignment from damage to lower control arm. It's twisted like my mind..lol.. I've been just throwing my old tires on the front end ever few weeks or month as they tore up.. cause I haven't really had it in me to do all the work on the truck and don't have the cash to pay to have it done .. ideler arm was shot pitman arm was shot , bearings on passenger side are shot cause last person that did them left the hub nut to loose . So anyway to add insult to injury and because God has a great sense of humor, as I pulled of the side the road thinking "no biggie I can change tire in five minutes and still get to Dr.....". I get to the back of the truck and realize my Jake is at home...I'd taken it out of the truck cause I needed to haul a load of debris to The land fill the day before.😒....so I limped it to a shop about a mile away thankful I was in town not on highway...20 bucks later the 2tires that were in back of the truck were on the front end... Not making it to doc soooo....
Came home stewed about it for a few minutes.....nope I'm tired of this shit...time to put all these parts in and get it aligned while I can....
Ideler and the arm came out pretty easy...(after fishing the bolts out of the frame with magnetic stick I had the new one in , in under a hour...then the fun started..
Who ever the hell designed these trucks is a sadist.... because right dead center of the cross member is that plate that sticks out about 6 .inch's...the center tie rod goes right over it... So after taking the castle nut off and taking the big nut off that holds the pitman arm on the gear box used the puller to get it loose from the gear box then realized something..no matter how I turned it I couldn't get it actually of the shaft and our of the hole in center tie rod at same time..after fighting with it for 40 minutes I finally thought well you dumb shit just unbolt the damn gear box and lift it up off the pitman....:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: ok it's off ...pitman arm is changed. ....I feel stupid..... all is right with the world...nope...new pitman slid on the spline shaft of gearbox abou maybe half way got washer and nut on and started tightening the nut...I couldn't get the arm to go as far up the shaft as the old one was no matter how hard I wrenched on it...the arm is "on" and the nut is tight but it's not right...so today I get to try to figure this out...shaft and arm are bothe 4spline so it matches up...can't believe it's supposed to be like that....
The other project for today is to change the lower control arm and sway bar link..and change the bearing on the passenger side....this should be fun.... thankful it's 2wheel drive so shouldn't be too too bad.

Steering and suspension parts always put up a good fight. They remind me I should be going to the gym.

Ok I'm trying to load pics but can't get good enough signal...no worries though I'm taking a bunch to post later...I'm kinda stuck...got everything apart on the control arm and it's hanging under the truck..except one bolt that goes through the bushing where it bolts to the frame of the truck won't come out.. it one of the 2 that the lower control arm pivots on.. I got the nut off it and if I put a wrench on it it will move a little but not really turn. It's like it's swelled/rusted into the metal sleeve that goes through the bushing....I don't have torch's but @Will L just told me to get a couple cigar lighters which our dollar general sells and try using them... anyone else have any ideas?

Back