• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Anything wrong with that 3.42 set?

Nothing wrong with them. Took a short vacation and pulled a brick shaped camper for 4 hours. I wanted to give the 6.5 a little easier time doing it.

How difficult is it to swap gears?

As far as gear swaps go, its pretty easy. This is the second time I have done it on this truck. Most of my gear swap and setup experience is with Ford 8.8. They use shims to set backlash and it can take some time to get it right with pinion depth changes. Typically if you are using the same ring and pinion manufacturer you don't have to change pinion depth, not always. The GM 10.5 uses a threaded collar on both sides of the diff carrier so there are no shims to deal with to set backlash. I did all this work on the floor of my garage because my lift has a friends Mustang sitting on it. I would not setup a Ford 8.8 or any rear end that uses shims for backlash while laying on the floor. Pulling the carrier out one more time to move shims around is too much on the floor. The 10.5 you stick in once and turn the collars. No pulling it back out.

Swapped the injectors out for a set of new Quadstar-built marine squirter set to 155 bar pop pressure to work better with the Beast.

Next is swapping the 0.88 T4 turbine for the S364 to a 0.80 T3 wastegated turbine. Hopefully that helps bring in the boost sooner to keep EGT down.

@WarWagon
Working on getting the turbo from Patch mounted to this unit.
Moving along quite well.
I have the QS oil return system. By boring the holes in the return flange a little bigger, it then fit right onto the ATTurbo.
War Wagon also sent alkng the intake manifold components. Going to drill holes to fit the MAP sensor and the IAT sensor into the older upper manifold. I dont like carving anymore than necessary. If it turns out that I cant get the MAP sensor bore centered to the bolt holes, then, I’ll carve my original maneeefold.
A little bit of Patch scattered all over the nation.
D58E963D-8967-4F78-AA5A-98F8CB9BF85C.jpeg

Getting close to having the new to me turbo job completed.
WW sent aling the upper intake plenum that was sawed off to fit the ATT turbo. Instead of sawing off my original manifold to accomodate the MAP and IAT sensors, I drilled and tapped the one already sawed off. Got it setting on top of the enjun and the bolts started.
Enough for today, tomorrow I’ll complete the project.
I dont know if the ECM will need a tune, I am hoping not as I have had to spend a bunch on batteries for the car and the truck. 😵‍💫😹

Oh yeah. That was something else.
The son and his wifey bought Vicks and I round trip tickets to Alaska. Night before the drive to Billings to catch the flight, wifey goes out to start the car. Battery is dead. Put it on the charger for an hour or so. Still dead. I installed a battery from the MG, a little big for the hole but it got us there and back home again.
About a $175.00 later a new Delco battery is under the hood. That was a couple or three weeks ago.
Monday, started the truck, it cranked a little slow but started. I thought WTH but continued to the post office. Came out and cranked on tje starter, it was real slow and didnt start. Thought oooboy, tried it again and when I backed off the crank cycle it fired up and run. Got home, tested batteries, both failed, there went another $370.00 and I hope I am done buying batteries for a while:

One other thing that happened. After new batteries installed. Driving along, come to a uncontrolled innersection, let off the throttle and the enjun dies. Shoved it to neutral, hit the starter, it fires right up and drives along like nothing happened. Has not done that since then.
Clear hose on return port and no air bubbles.
Just have to drive it until it breaks then, fire the parts cannon at it. 😹

One other thing that happened. After new batteries installed. Driving along, come to a uncontrolled innersection, let off the throttle and the enjun dies. Shoved it to neutral, hit the starter, it fires right up and drives along like nothing happened. Has not done that since then.
Clear hose on return port and no air bubbles.
Just have to drive it until it breaks then, fire the parts cannon at it. 😹

That ^^^ is a dying PMD

That ^^^ is a dying PMD
I was afraid someone was going to say that. Might be that them bad batteries and low voltage messed it up.
It is starting and running fine for now. Have a spare waiting to go on.
Just road tested the new to me turbo. It does real good. No SES light so I think it will be good to go. Punched it down hard heading up a steep hill. Boosted just over 11 PSI. I’m liking that.

The vent visor devices that was glued to the doors was busted. The other day I finished them off. Nothing left but the insulation crap thats glued down. Used a one edged razor blade and trimmed it right next to the paint. Only made several gouges that cant be seen beyond two hundred yards, just joking, what was left I used a rag and some BBQ lighter fuel and scrubbed the most of the rest of it off, then finished it off with some B&P cleaner. All that is left of it now is a line on each side where them things was glued down. I dont know if it still is glue or if the paint was roughed up from them things vibrating in duh wind. Whatever it is, it can stay for now.

been awhile since i’ve posted but I still own the 93CCLB. the 96 was parted out but I saved the engine.
the 93 has an oil leak from the valley area but it might be the rear main. i’m older than I think and it’s hard to look at something you’ve owned for so long, sitting and rotting while being an eyesore.
damn. wish i had the strength to fix it....

Hey deejaaa, good to see You posting.
Might be one of the members here could give You a hand and help You out with getting the oil leak stopped up. If someone lives close.
Be fun to work with someone from the forum, I think.

been awhile since i’ve posted but I still own the 93CCLB. the 96 was parted out but I saved the engine.
the 93 has an oil leak from the valley area but it might be the rear main. i’m older than I think and it’s hard to look at something you’ve owned for so long, sitting and rotting while being an eyesore.
damn. wish i had the strength to fix it....
if in the valley area, could it be the OPS or maybe valve covers? I deleted my FFM and went with a firewall mounted fuel filter. with that out of the way it's easy to see in the valley. mine is a 95 but I'm not sure if the 93 has the OPS in the same position, but it's much easier replacing that vs a rear main seal!

Check your intake manifold bolts for proper torque. Oil from CDR through the turbo under boost pressure will seep past the runner/port/gasket and down into the valley. Doesn't take much to make a helluva mess in the valley and start running down the backside, making you think you've got a bad rear main seal.

Hey Deejaaa welcome back!
I know the pain- figuratively and literally. Definitely the #1 thing that has been in the way of my progress for some time. Weekend spent recovering so I can go to work the next week and just happy to make it through the week at all often.

I wish most of us that endeavor these engines lived near each other to share the parts and and wrenching tasks. I Learned something way back younger- getting beat up wasn’t fun, but getting beat up alone was worse. At least when a buddy and I could laugh together the next day about it taking 6 of them to get the 2 of us, it was more tolerable. Haha.

yeah, oil in the valley - makes me think oil pressure port or if you’re sending unit is there, that it is leaking. Hit it with the can of degreaser and rinse from a garden hose. Then check on it. How bad is the leak- how many miles before you have to add a quart?

I too am in a lot of pain. I do some to the truck then it is relax for a couple of days to work through it all.
This one thing I can say, if I lived close enough I would be right there to give You a hand with getting that engine sealed up, no matter what it would take.

Back