• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

deejaaa

Diesel Beginner
Reaction score
thought i'd start this thread with... What did i do...
replaced the door roller hinge thingy....
went from this:

to this:

still creaks when i open the door but i will straighten it out.
couldn't figure out how to drive the pin all the way.
also got this in the mail:

hard to see at night:

but i will get pics when the sun comes up.

hope you like the thread.......

Nothing to mine. But that reminds me I bought some wrap to do the Hummer. Know anyone local that installs it?

Fixed Patch's suicidal steering problem. o_O
Checked the oil.
Installed a bunch of stuff on the 1992 rescue project.
Hauled a load of assorted stuff in the bed of patch: Used it as a pickup Truck. :D Still have to unload it. :(

Ok, Ok, Ok. Pics or it didn't happen...

To unload (when it's NOT near triple digit temps outside) and next scrap metal run cargo needed to be loaded shown.

DSCN4166.JPG DSCN4167.JPG

went from this:

to this:

hard to see at night:

Where did you get those pins from and how much? The one on the Driver's door on the Burb broke off the bottom part so the door doesn't stay open (sucked when parked on hillsides or in wind) and the passenger one is bent pretty badly, too. How did you remove the old one, grind off the top part where it's mashed over at the factory? How did you install the new one?

What did I do with my GM 400's today? Looked longingly at my 94 awaiting putting the top end back together and my Burb awaiting installation of the new to it used reman tranny and a new IP to make it road worthy again.

Where did you get those pins from and how much? How did you remove the old one, grind off the top part where it's mashed over at the factory? How did you install the new one?

These get messed up due to lack of lube on the door side hinge added to spring tension.

You will need an Air chisel and the special (or a good) spring compressor.

AC.jpg

You use the chisel to knock off the mashed up part and it will come out easy. I forget the details about removing the spring. The new part has a retainer that slides over the top end to hold it in place. The Dorman Help section has these as well as the GM dealer (last I checked may be discontinued.) LMC Truck and Rockauto are worth a look.

I run mine by a body shop with beer (or parts delivery back in the day) to get the springs reinstalled.

I have the spring compressor for the door hinges, I already did the hinge pins and bronze bushings on both front doors about three years ago. At that time I noticed that those two pins were not only missing the hard plastic rollers, but were bent pretty badly. I carefully straightened them, fabricated new rollers from some hard polyethylene tubing from the hardware store and white lithium greased the rollers, all pivot points and and the doorstop. The driver's side pin broke off shortly before the IP went south and caused the transmission to barf its internals.

These get messed up due to lack of lube on the door side hinge added to spring tension.

You will need an Air chisel and the special (or a good) spring compressor.

View attachment 49725

You use the chisel to knock off the mashed up part and it will come out easy. I forget the details about removing the spring. The new part has a retainer that slides over the top end to hold it in place. The Dorman Help section has these as well as the GM dealer (last I checked may be discontinued.) LMC Truck and Rockauto are worth a look.

I run mine by a body shop with beer (or parts delivery back in the day) to get the springs reinstalled.
Oh, I have a good (15 gal, 6.3 cfm@90psi) compressor and a medium duty air hammer with various chisel and punch tips. I suppose one could also grind off the factory peened end, too.

went from this:

to this:

hard to see at night:

Do those come with the hard plastic roller that goes over the bottom of the pin, or is it no longer needed with the new pin?

Oh, I have a good (15 gal, 6.3 cfm@90psi) compressor and a medium duty air hammer with various chisel and punch tips. I suppose one could also grind off the factory peened end, too.

:p going completely off the rails of the thread now.

Door spring compressor I was referencing that gets rented with Beer.

31g2GREA1dL.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do those come with the hard plastic roller that goes over the bottom of the pin, or is it no longer needed with the new pin?
the roller has a plastic sleeve/bearing on the shaft.
Where did you get those pins from and how much?............
for the life of me i didn't look at the price. bought from oriley. also got the spring tool and a fish-eye mirror.
.... I suppose one could also grind off the factory peened end, too.
that's what i did. used an air grinder. then a brass punch.
haven't got it seated yet. maybe Fri i will have time to use the hydraulic ram to drive it home.
i painted it before installing so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb. comes bare.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
noticed turbo drain is leaking. kids soccer started so need to find some time to remedy.

I use my truck as a truck pretty regularly. Its not a work truck like a commercial trade truck but earns its keep. Had a Cedar tree blow down at the end of my driveway that blocked road I had to clean up quick. I don't mind scratching the bed a little sometimes but still dislike when the limbs hang over the bed rails and cab (this time was in hurry otherwise would have cut it up more).

Attachments

• treelimbs.JPG
    treelimbs.JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 24
This weekend I will replace the crossover pipe I bent on my sons '94 Suburban while yanking trees out of the yard (one got stuck under the truck). Also will go back to replace the remaining door hinge pins on my '99 Suburban. Rest of my work will be engine oil, differential(s) and transfer case oil on my wife's 4Runner. Followed by yard work, including taking down a large tree in prep for a new driveway (8,000 sf of paving stones).

Back