• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

I agree with Will about the Zero labor cost for the T-case when doing the transmission R&R. It's kind of a no-brainer unless it worked out that when they were doing the transmission, you did the transfer case if you wanted to. It's not always about the cost, just nice to get it done asap.
Big T, I would go ahead exactly like you planned.
The reason I'm pulling mine is because I have a lift and a transmission jack and there's a few other things to do while it's on the lift

Yeah- 246 SHOULD have the full kit done. And it is about the most complex one so I wasn’t figuring on that for ya.
But what I am saying is a lot of places ONLY do the little plastic pieces on the fork and a new chain then send it out calling it a rebuild. Remember they make better profit by less new parts used.

Thats why I like to have MINE rebuilt wether I do it or someone else.
If you have a highly respected shop near you to do it- great! have them do it all.

Many shops just r&r whole units and get “reman” units at a set price. Those are usually the ones that come with a box of regret built in.

Thats why they are still in business. They charge enough to cover costs and labor. 🤷‍♂️ 😹

This is the place my mechanic recommended for the transmission. Need to call them during the week about transfer cases They show rebuild kits, but not reman transfer cases, though I know they do them. Last time I was pricing a quality reman transfer case, it was around $1,000+.

I have Energy Suspension Urethane engine and transmission mounts ordered as they will be replaced while this work is being done.

Have new ball joints arriving tomorrow. The existing ball joints were fine, but while I’m in there I’ll go with new MOOG ball joints. Pulled the steering knuckle as I need to ream them for the ES409R tie rods.

A267A620-6C03-4215-BF2B-CE65225EA8E5.jpeg

While removing the passenger side CV axle, the cracked inner boot gave it up. I have the replacement and will add that to the list today.

88D4FCA4-1ABF-4485-9755-C5B280B656F2.jpeg

be weary of moog! their quality has diminished greatly over the years. I had replaced all the upper and lower control arm assemblies on my truck. had one lower ball joint lock up on me and ended up just replacing the joint with a delco one because I didn't want to go through removing the control arm and dealing with the coil spring again.

Back