• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Looking for a starter for the wifes 1990 Toyota Corolla. I was shopping Rock auto and was wanting a new starter. RA had part numbers so I started my online search.
I finally went to the official AC Delco website, there is a list of online retailers. I took a screen shot.
Guess what ? RA is listed in here as an official online retailer.

281DADF0-4902-4E78-91FA-10DAE6ABEE9C.png

After replacing boots on the CV axle, I could not get it in on the passenger side. Ironically, that was the easiest axle to get out. I can get part of it past the differential flange, but not all of it. The end plate pops off exposing the innards. It's as if the axle gained some length after doing the boot job. I ordered a new axle from Napa and should be able to pick it up this evening.
Did the stub fully seat into the differential ?
I once had that problem. I dont remember how I solved it, I think I pushed as much pressure onto the outward end of the shaft them give it a nice rappity tap with the big brass hammer. It then popped all the way into the diffrential.

Did the stub fully seat into the differential ?
I once had that problem. I dont remember how I solved it, I think I pushed as much pressure onto the outward end of the shaft them give it a nice rappity tap with the big brass hammer. It then popped all the way into the diffrential.

Never got that far. Maybe 1/3 across the differential and the end plate blew out, leaving the CV innards against the differential.

Napa sold me the wrong CV axle. I did the order online, pay in the store. Specifically picked CV axle with internal ABS and when I opened the box at home, it had the external toothed ABS wheel. I've only seen that on the 1994, never on anything later. I am going to give it another try by undoing the upper control arm, tilting it out to give a smidge more room, which should do it. Regardless, I have to return the new CV axle to Napa.

CE39C7AB-1CC3-45A4-9620-9352AA491C61.jpeg

Oh my. And here I set, a perfectly warm garage, motorcycle tore apart in one side, wifeys Maliblu in the other side and waiting for it to quit snowing, then the Maliblu can go out and that stinking Toyodah car thing can go in. Cleaned up the starter for it. Poke that back in the hole and boot that bastrich out and the Blu back in.
Thats my plan for the day, I might get the starter back together and call it quits. I love My couch. 😵‍💫😹😹😹

OK after thinking about it overnight, I went and detached the upper control arm and immediately got it in, but it became apparent how it lengthened: I did not get the axle inserted into the outer hun to the C-Clip and it simply pulled out. So went to work on the axle and this time got it inserted and locked to the C-Clip. Went in so much easier. Everything is good and just need to bleed the brakes.

0FA372D5-E3AF-4EC7-9CB1-2BE672C044CA.jpeg8B3CBC48-145F-4792-AAE1-B6AE2DD45F4D.jpegD712C74A-F9A5-43FC-A37B-50CA146AA68B.jpeg

Took it on a test drive over to the mechanic who will do my transmission replacement. He confirmed transmission pump was going. He put it in reverse and it did not move immediately. Took a bit of engine rev before it would move. He said that reverse needs 300 psi for the friction plates to engage, while the forward gears need less, so it shows first in reverse.

Got an appointment for alignment on 12/31 and my mechanic will take it in, because we will be down in SoCal, though my wife will be back and forth. Left the vehicle with him. Big T is done with car work for now.

@Big T have the mechanic that’s doing your transmission hold your aftermarket pan before the old one goes in for core. Unless you want to have the factory one without the drain plug on there. Unless he’s rebuilding yours that is.

@Big T have the mechanic that’s doing your transmission hold your aftermarket pan before the old one goes in for core. Unless you want to have the factory one without the drain plug on there. Unless he’s rebuilding yours that is.

Yes I gave him that instruction to retain the aftermarket pan. We'll order the transmission and he'll transfer once it is delivered. Then we either pay to ship or drive the transmission to Portland, OR for the $700 core charge. Wife is always game for a road trip. Need to confirm they do transfer cases. If not, I have a place in San Diego that does. I'll have the mechanic throw the transfer case in the back of wife's 4Runner for a trip down to SoCal.

Well I guess this is another “What did your gmt400 do to you today” post!

last week I was messing around and crawled under the front end. Noticed that the new oil hoses I put on to replace the leaking ones for my oil cooler lines had a small leak. I wiped it off check the clamps and left it. Today I decided to look again and well what do ya know I have a tiny leak from where it’s clamped. I guess I need to replace both with a good set! I forget who here sells them or how much they are.

15494249-B90E-4EE9-90EB-157526797BE2.jpeg

Oh my mechanic had a GMT 400 Truck w/ 6.5 diesel parked there. He says it needs new injectors. I’ve seen that truck running down our road.

Well I guess this is another “What did your gmt400 do to you today” post!

last week I was messing around and crawled under the front end. Noticed that the new oil hoses I put on to replace the leaking ones for my oil cooler lines had a small leak. I wiped it off check the clamps and left it. Today I decided to look again and well what do ya know I have a tiny leak from where it’s clamped. I guess I need to replace both with a good set! I forget who here sells them or how much they are.

View attachment 69385
Leroy Diesel.

I might try to pull the clamps and that hose end off tomorrow just to see if I didn’t scar the aluminum line with a knife pulling the old hose off. How much pressure is on those oil lines? I would assume that the 40 psi I see on the gauge is what’s on those hoses

I might try to pull the clamps and that hose end off tomorrow just to see if I didn’t scar the aluminum line with a knife pulling the old hose off. How much pressure is on those oil lines? I would assume that the 40 psi I see on the gauge is what’s on those hoses
I believe that cooler hoses and pipes are mostly free flowing with no restrictions on the out end.

Back