• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Have you used a sprayer vs a rattle can? Have you done clear coat?

I need to repaint my hood and the driver's side barn door.

I only rattle can for short term. Even with many coats and clear on top, it doesn't take much to cut right through it.

I have a basic spray gun and the correct paint mixed up and ready to go this summer. Enough for the bottom Pewter color and some touchups (like fenders) for the upper Dark Grey. Won't do any customized jobs and it's been a long time since I've shot a car so, I'm going to take it easy, lots of light coats and then I'll shoot it all with clear.

My nephew 'rolled' his van with several light coats and then went to sanding with 220, 400, 800....2000. Came out nice but, his time estimate was many DAYS longer than he'd thought.

Knowledge and ability. Both required for many skills. Painting being high on the list.

I learned a great amount about painting from the pro painters in shops I worked at and tons from one master named Joe at my truck equipment shop. He painted simple flatbeds to helicopters, did many cars with values into the millions. Back then from him, I new formulas, ratios, understood pattern of spray for different applications, you name it.

Then man, when I pickep up a paint gun- look out! No really, run! World’s worst painter right here. Joe named me track star I ran so much paint. He “fixed” a spray gun one time for me with a trash can. He was so patient with me for a few years I tried to learn. Threatened to quit the company if I even touched any painting equipment again. Yeah, Joe was a serious master of his craft, and realized when some people should never, never paint agian.

A year ago my 11 year old son helped me spray paint some metal lawn furniture- table and 4 chairs. He watched as I started, and I described the hows and whys. Tack coat, wet coat, etc. I painted the first chair as he started his, with me saying a couple pointers as we went. Stopping and examining our work after the end of the 4 chairs each, he says “Dad, Mom really likes the table, right?” “Yes” I replied. “Why don’t you let me paint it then?” Sigh. I did.

My hat is off to you painting people out there.
...you got to know when to walk away, know when to run... - Kenny Rogers

For the past couple of weeks I had been getting the smell of fuel after running the engine, could never see any leakage by glancing under it.
It was due for an oil change, while in the garage I turned on that nice little lift pump switch that is in the harness from Leroy Diesel, I found the leak, an O~Ring I though. HA
When trying to get it removed, the whole assembly seemed to wobble, and wobble it did, right off of its base. I used a punch and hammer to get the base jarred loose then a screw driver to keep it turning without any further pounding.
ss.jpg

I had an older version fsos leak, it came easily enough.

That was the surprising part about this. One very slight tap with a punch and hammer and it unscrewed as it should have.
I`m thinking with it being ruptured, there was not enough friction on the tabs to allow it to grip tight enough.

Last evening I installed a new grill on the '99 K2500 Suburban. Upper bracket on passenger side had finally broken. I need to replace that bottom apron between the bumper and grill as the clip receptacle on the passenger is busted. That will be sourced from a boneyard. Also need to consider new turn signal housings. Will look at LED. Too dark when I finished to take pictures.

More Burb work. Pulled the intake assembly off to get at the 90,000 miles of gack in the valley and try to ascertain what block I have. Lots and lots of gack in there. Scrape, brush, degrease and rinse with brake cleaner (yes, all holes plugged. Only real marking I found in the valley was two dashes like a very thick 'Equals' sign (=). No numbers, no double triangle/diamond.
Removed the GP Relay and cleaned all connectors and took the opportunity to replace the Glow Plug wires with the PTWiringsolution units I purchased last fall. Will put it all back together using Noalox contact promoter on all connectors. FFM is coming out to bed replace with aftermarket fuel filter assembly (3 micron) and run 3/8" to the IP inlet.
Sorry, no pictures this time.

No gack pictures?!? AH man! What fuel filter assembly is it?
It's one of Bill's. I built a similar set up for the truck but, will just buy the kit from him this time. Save some energy and running around...maybe. I'll have to do the set up later though as I don't have the push-lock AN fittings.

Re-assembled glow plug wires, GP regulator-thing, lower and upper intakes.

Clean(er) engine valley.
IMG_9710.JPG

Original and powder coated upper and lower intake parts.
IMG_9709.JPG IMG_9711.JPG
I took the upper off my truck years ago and, as you can see, marked the wrench sizes (cheat codes) should I use it again.

Lower in place with new gasket and 60mm studs for the upper (yes I counted Eight removed Rags that were in the head ports to keep out debris). Torqued in a crossing pattern to 31lbs after two earlier passes at ever increasing torque values. All my grounds go to the FFM bolt so I can keep track of them, clean as needed. These were coated in NoAlox as well.
IMG_9712.JPG

Upper in place and torqued to 17lbs. All cheat codes removed. Also the sensors are back where they belong.
IMG_9713.JPG

Mayb get a start on the turbo, waterpump hoses, radiator and fan.

@Paveltolz I love the upper intake stud idea!

Patch burned off the spilled oil from the IP install. Good column of smoke after shutdown panicked a few in a parking lot. Picked up a set of slightly used rubbers for Patch this week. The BFG's were just shredded by the hard hitting Yank stall. Been bald awhile now.

I noticed the studs also, WW eat me to it. Cool idea.

Also I saw the cable tie- aka ziptie and can share a trick. I noticed you didn’t cut of the end. Alot of people don’t because when you scrape your wrist or something against it can cut. So here is the fix: grab the tab with pliers where you would normally cut it off, and twist/spin it in one direction until it comes off. Usually takes 2 revolutions. It turns out perfectly smooth! I just learned that about 1 year ago after 30 years of using them. Credit to Barry the electrician at my work.

Also I saw the cable tie- aka ziptie and can share a trick. I noticed you didn’t cut of the end. Alot of people don’t because when you scrape your wrist or something against it can cut. So here is the fix: grab the tab with pliers where you would normally cut it off, and twist/spin it in one direction until it comes off. Usually takes 2 revolutions. It turns out perfectly smooth! I just learned that about 1 year ago after 30 years of using them. Credit to Barry the electrician at my work.
I have a small wire cutters that I found. Lightly ground the one side down so that instead of cutting at an angle, they cut flat.
That's what I use for cutting them plastic zip ties.

Between Will's zip tie and Paveltolz's paint everything fixations, we've got enough anal retentiveness to hold an LGBTQ 6.5 parade.

WOW.
So you say you got a few days suspension on Facebook, idk how... HAHA. Just when I think I am not a politically correct person, there is another post from you and I realize -I self sensor some things-Did they trick me into their social rules somehow?

I was about to go eat a bowl of froot loops for breakfast- but now wondering if I should eat eggs, hashbrowns and bacon instead. Haha I’ll be honest, I like both. But that is breakfast. I have a wife, not a “partner”. And I am not sure @Paveltolz served in the “don't ask don’t tell” era on purpose.
@Husker6.5 - I like the Sting & Police, (back then only “police” I thought was cool) but missed the reference.

Oh, and not MY gmt400, but teaching a kid how to replace his fuel filter on a gasser 2500.

And throwing battery charger on a nephew’s ‘88 6.2 so batteries stay full until he comes over to figure out an air intrusion spot (my guestimate) Rough starting and rough idle...hmm

Back