• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

@Will L. It was the Star Trek: Next Generation episode where Commander Riker does a stint aboard a Klingon combat ship as its First Officer as part of an exchange program. Sitting in the Officer's Mess with all the Klingon Officers for his first meal aboard their ship, he identifies and samples each of their delicacies before him that he had tried from the Replicator aboard the Enterprise beforehand: Tibias Claw, Korgon Blood Pudding, then - getting to a plate full of wriggling white tuberous-looking things - he pauses as he states "Gack". "What is the matter", asks his Klingon host, "Is this not to your liking?" "I have eaten Gack before", replies Riker, "But this is still moving." To which his host replies, "Gack is served best live."

WOW.
So you say you got a few days suspension on Facebook, idk how... HAHA. Just when I think I am not a politically correct person, there is another post from you and I realize -I self sensor some things-Did they trick me into their social rules somehow?

I was about to go eat a bowl of froot loops for breakfast- but now wondering if I should eat eggs, hashbrowns and bacon instead. Haha I’ll be honest, I like both. But that is breakfast. I have a wife, not a “partner”. And I am not sure @Paveltolz served in the “don't ask don’t tell” era on purpose.
@Husker6.5 - I like the Sting & Police, (back then only “police” I thought was cool) but missed the reference.

I'm sorry. That was a bit harsh. I do get a laugh out of Paveltolz's attention to pretty details. Myself, I just acknowledge that I got a 19 year old truck and appreciate it for what it is.

I still haven't grow. I blame...me. Getting the GTI hasn't helped either.
Turbo is on. Old drain line is too long so I tried to shorten it but, these 10AN fittings can only take so many re-uses and this one gave up the ghost. Waiting on parts now.
Ran into an issue with the T-Stat to Water pump 5 inch hose. The one I got was cut off at the wrong angle so it doesn't it. I attempted a couple of alternate solutions only to be frustrated in the efforts (bending a straight hose only introduced a kink and I don't need a restricted flow at that point in the system. Ordered another part and will compare to this one to ensure it's cut correctly.
Have to say it is a lot easier getting at these areas without the fender on.

I rebuilt the Craftsman DLS 3500 lawn tractor. New rotor hub shaft and housing. New blades. New belt. Mow the yard/weeds.

Sent wife in to have the SLK 280 aligned. I could see that the shocks were shot as she left the driveway. Alignment shop said the shocks were leaking and they could not align it. They wanted $1,100 for shocks and installation. I ordered a set of Bilstein B4 shocks online and will replace them myself. This car is sold and the buyer picks up on the 6th. Lucky him, he gets new shocks. Explains why the ride was crap.

I'm sorry. That was a bit harsh. I do get a laugh out of Paveltolz's attention to pretty details....
I don't mind. If you didn't harass me for this stuff, I'd be disappointed.

Truth is, besides not having grown up yet, I like fiddle farting with this stuff and making things look good. The powder coated upper and lower intakes were done in 2009 but, have been on the shelf since 2013 because I use the extrude honed units on the truck when I did the engine swap. Besides, it all makes for better pictures and, after all these years of, ya'll would be disappointed if I didn't pay attention to all the little details. In short, I do it for the group.

I managed to a lot done today.
Easy Access w/o fender:
IMG_9717.jpg

Getting the bypass radiator hose corrected was the main thing. The part I re-ordered was cut correctly so it went on as it should. Unfortunately, I marred the first one tightening it down trying to make it work so they wouldn't take it back.
Here's the straight piece I tried that kinked in the middle:
IMG_9718.jpg

Additionally: starter battery cable replaced with the upgrade from PT Wiringsolutions; alternator bracket and alternator installed; radiator installed; radiator hoses installed; serpentine belt on; top fan shroud trimmed back; fender's lower portion sanded and painted after some POR-15 treatment and, of course, a lot of cleaning up some other rusted parts and treating them as well.

Access around the starter is never fun but it's in. Big thanks to Bruce. Bat cables and GP wiring harness are great upgrades.
IMG_9720.jpg

Not sure why I took this shot but, it shows the before alternator etc. work.
IMG_9719.jpg

After. Alternator bracket was all flaky rust so it got wire wheeled and POR-15'd and then a top coat of black gloss. I rushed the work, believe it or not, as I know it doesn't matter, really.
IMG_9721.jpg

Fender done.
IMG_9722.jpg

I need to trim the lower fan shroud before putting the fender and all back in. Tomorrow is a rest day and play time with grand daughters. Did I say 'rest' and "Grand daughters" in the same sentence? Shows how tired I am.

I don't mind. If you didn't harass me for this stuff, I'd be disappointed.

Truth is, besides not having grown up yet, I like fiddle farting with this stuff and making things look good. The powder coated upper and lower intakes were done in 2009 but, have been on the shelf since 2013 because I use the extrude honed units on the truck when I did the engine swap. Besides, it all makes for better pictures and, after all these years of, ya'll would be disappointed if I didn't pay attention to all the little details. In short, I do it for the group.

I managed to a lot done today.
Easy Access w/o fender:
View attachment 52347

Getting the bypass radiator hose corrected was the main thing. The part I re-ordered was cut correctly so it went on as it should. Unfortunately, I marred the first one tightening it down trying to make it work so they wouldn't take it back.
Here's the straight piece I tried that kinked in the middle:
View attachment 52348

Additionally: starter battery cable replaced with the upgrade from PT Wiringsolutions; alternator bracket and alternator installed; radiator installed; radiator hoses installed; serpentine belt on; top fan shroud trimmed back; fender's lower portion sanded and painted after some POR-15 treatment and, of course, a lot of cleaning up some other rusted parts and treating them as well.

Access around the starter is never fun but it's in. Big thanks to Bruce. Bat cables and GP wiring harness are great upgrades.
View attachment 52350

Not sure why I took this shot but, it shows the before alternator etc. work.
View attachment 52349

After. Alternator bracket was all flaky rust so it got wire wheeled and POR-15'd and then a top coat of black gloss. I rushed the work, believe it or not, as I know it doesn't matter, really.
View attachment 52351

Fender done.
View attachment 52352

I need to trim the lower fan shroud before putting the fender and all back in. Tomorrow is a rest day and play time with grand daughters. Did I say 'rest' and "Grand daughters" in the same sentence? Shows how tired I am.
It doesn't get any better than that, enjoy tomorrow.:)

Friday Patch hauled a hot water heater for a friend and picked up some firewood for camping.

Long ago, I linked up with member from DP who gave me an Aluminum Skid Plate. I had made a diamond plate version for the truck so this one has been on the shelf. Figured it was time so I'm using it on the Burb. FWIW, He's the one that polished the back side if it (I wouldn't have...really).
IMG_9727.JPG
The front was oxidized, pitted and such so I sanded it down and painted it silver.
IMG_9728.JPG

The PMD cooler's aluminum parts were begging for some TLC too so I cleaned it up, painted the Heat Sink a color matching gray and the front plate a color matching the trim.
IMG_9729.JPG IMG_9730.JPG

Looks good under there.
IMG_9731.jpg

I also got the new 10-AN fittings from Russell today so I repaired the Turbo Oil return line and got into place.
IMG_9732.JPG

Long ago, I linked up with member from DP who gave me an Aluminum Skid Plate. I had made a diamond plate version for the truck so this one has been on the shelf. Figured it was time so I'm using it on the Burb. FWIW, He's the one that polished the back side if it (I wouldn't have...really).
View attachment 52379
The front was oxidized, pitted and such so I sanded it down and painted it silver.
View attachment 52380

The PMD cooler's aluminum parts were begging for some TLC too so I cleaned it up, painted the Heat Sink a color matching gray and the front plate a color matching the trim.
View attachment 52381 View attachment 52382

Looks good under there.
View attachment 52383

I also got the new 10-AN fittings from Russell today so I repaired the Turbo Oil return line and got into place.
View attachment 52384

There goes that paint again.

Made a template for the fender flare mounting holes from the old, rusted one so I could attach the flare to the 'new' fender.
Transferred it over to the new fender, drilled the holes and...
IMG_9755.JPG

...the flare fits on the new fender.
IMG_9756.JPG

Taped it off to prime the holes and I'll shoot the whole fender with clear tomorrow.
IMG_9757.JPG

Slow and steady....

Did you go all the way through then oversize the inside holes to get a socket on the nuts?
Yes, the two on the lower/door side were drilled through and enlarged. Those too got the primer and rubber sealing as did the insides for the other four. Those four are already accessible without additional drilling.

Now I know what the difference is between fenders "with flares" and without when shopping on recycled parts sites. Should save a little time with the driver's side should it need replacement; which it probably will.

Fueled the truck today, Cenex Road Master fuel.
I checked all over the pump, there are no signs about biodiesel. I would say that with the sparse population of this area, biofuel is not an option.

Back