• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

DBrannon had me second guess on pulling the transmission from the top of the engine bay, so I checked…

IMG_1016.jpeg

There’s enough room as only the smooth tip portion of the input shaft that goes into the pilot bushing sticks out beyond the transmission case. But it looks like I will have to pull the flywheel.

looking at what room you have between the trans and the radiator, you might be able to twist the trans some along with it looks like you still have a couple of inches of room between the frame and the trans to go up and out.

looking at what room you have between the trans and the radiator, you might be able to twist the trans some along with it looks like you still have a couple of inches of room between the frame and the trans to go up and out.
That's the plan and the video above, albeit a V6 with manual 6 spd, shows exactly that. So I'm almost there. Did not go into the office, so maybe at lunch today.

Last edited:
That is nothing compared to some of the air filters the shop pulls from the equipment. they do a PM on some every 250 hours and when pulling them, they are crammed packed with dust and stuffing from car seats and more!

Well today my wife and I drove my truck out about a 200 mile trip and got to meet one of our fellow members here. coincidentally the person who started this very thread back in the day! Very nice and down to earth fellow might I say and it was a pleasure. We talked for a bit and then drove back the 200 miles home. barley made it in time to take my son to work LOL but it was a good day. :)

Discovered a leak. Something is passing through built up oily dirt, and dripping off the low point on the oil pan.
Not oil as it isn't brown/black (time for oil change anyway.
Not orange-ish though the coolant needs topping off.
Very thin, greenish, oily. Most likely diesel. Nothing wet on the driver's side and trying to look at the drinker's side didn't initially reveal anything either. Might be in the valley and passing down the weep hole at the back of the block. Joy!
Yesterday, no leak. Today...very much so. Drip, drip drip and then stops. Slid under (no easy feat as I've put on a couple of pounds and lowered the front to normal ride height) and cleaned the pan and attempted to ascertain possible drip route through 'feel around' but, no joy.
So, in the morning I'll pull out the stands and put the front end up in the air to get a good look while I change the oil.

Checked and rechecked the motor and didn't find any source for the diesel that leaked out onto the garage floor. There was no new diesel either. Floor, oil pan and weep hole were dry and this is after a nice drive around town Saturday. Guess that's good news.
Topped up the Radiator Fluid. Changed oil and filter and turned it in to get the transmission a 50K service and diagnostics into why it was slam shifting into 2nd after the batteries died and were recharged. The confirmed that when the batts go down and get recharged it isn't uncommon for things to go wonky for a little while as the servos reset. Good to know.

Checked and rechecked the motor and didn't find any source for the diesel that leaked out onto the garage floor. There was no new diesel either. Floor, oil pan and weep hole were dry and this is after a nice drive around town Saturday. Guess that's good news.
Topped up the Radiator Fluid. Changed oil and filter and turned it in to get the transmission a 50K service and diagnostics into why it was slam shifting into 2nd after the batteries died and were recharged. The confirmed that when the batts go down and get recharged it isn't uncommon for things to go wonky for a little while as the servos reset. Good to know.
2nd gear is always a hard shift in these rigs, especially when the transmission is cold and you stomp it.

I assume while that's being done and the the transmission is out of the vehicle, you'll be replacing the clutch assembly, associated hardware and resurfacing/replacing the flywheel before reinstalling the transmission so you don't have to pull everything back out again in a few years/thousands of miles to do a clutch/throw out bearing/etc.

I assume while that's being done and the the transmission is out of the vehicle, you'll be replacing the clutch assembly, associated hardware and resurfacing/replacing the flywheel before reinstalling the transmission so you don't have to pull everything back out again in a few years/thousands of miles to do a clutch/throw out bearing/etc.
I had already replaced clutch assembly, throw out bearing and flywheel. Put it back together and the noise I was chasing persisted. Called this manual transmission rebuild shop, described the problem (noise disappears when I depress clutch while it is in neutral) and they said it’s in the transmission. So I pulled the transmission, and brought it in for rebuild. So I already have new clutch everything with just a couple miles on it.

I had already replaced clutch assembly, throw out bearing and flywheel. Put it back together and the noise I was chasing persisted. Called this manual transmission rebuild shop, described the problem (noise disappears when I depress clutch while it is in neutral) and they said it’s in the transmission. So I pulled the transmission, and brought it in for rebuild. So I already have new clutch everything with just a couple miles on
That's good. And at least you had practice partially pulling the transmission doing the clutch replacement and it was recent enough that you could remember the procedure.

Back