• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Caution : others might be able to chime in on this. RA lists both 19244500 and 19244501 the two links I posted above the first one is the 19244500 and the second is a 19244501 just something I noticed looking them by application. this kinda got me confused, they list the 501 as a fuel pump pressure switch and the 500 as the oil pressure switch!

Tha is great news @J_dude
How difficult was it to get the hose started into the bore with the intake still installed ?
If You used a grease gun hose, check for continuity between the metal hose fitting on the end of the hose and a good grounding source.
If there is no continuity, sand a spot on the fitting. Add some solder flux to that sanded portion. Heat it good with a solder gun and tin it until solder sticks. Add a section of wire long enough to reach a good ground source.
Problem solved. 😹

Step son welding on his home made ladder rack. He is/was a professional pipe line welder.
I love that welding hood. Guess its called a pancake hood/shield. The part that fits to the face is wood, like a goggles. He said the shield comes with a piece of sanding paper to fit it to the face. The wood goggle portion keeps any outside light sources from entering within the goggle and makes for much better visibility.
00F03F20-DE45-48F8-8796-0B734DE0521A.jpeg

Done, painted and installed. Little guy is mighty happy. 😹

58D21BB7-C244-46EA-94FC-CF5FB305DADD.jpeg

K3500 back in yesterday afternoon.
Left it alone. After helping stepson, then out on snow removal, I’d had enough for one day. This getting older aint for sissies. 😵‍💫😹
I got the shim kit from that Mercedes dealer and the new Bosch injectors arrived. Opened the boxes enough to get a look at the items still wrapped in their packaging, hands was hurting bad so stuffed all the items into one of the boxes and took it all to the garage.
Today, the plan, borrow that OTC Nozzlerater injector tester once again, check leakdown and pop along with spray pattern.
Then, just being cautious here, about dismantling new injectors, shimming to pop at 2100 PSI, or, leave them stock af whatever pressure they are set at.
These are new injectors and warranty will apply but dont know if Bosch marks them so if they are dismantled then whatever they may have applied for marker would be broke and void any warranty.
I guess they are balanced to within 3 to 4 bar, be about 45 PSI.
Time will tell I guess.
Might even be I may not get anything done with any of it today. Hands hurting bad enough it woke me up before 2:00 am. We shall see, seems pain be damned, I have a project, it takes priority, the project does. 😹😹😹👍

Shim kit.
Comes with three thickness shims, a pick tool of some sort, a wood handle device, blue rubberish gloves and sanding paper, rolled inside of tube. Pretty nice kit.
7D5F1FE2-E398-4796-B6A1-BA5579B41DCB.jpeg

A shim perched atop of a spring., for size appearance.
B537C9E6-8344-4B36-B07E-252ED6BADB0B.jpeg

Shim within the spring bore.
9C26E79E-C31D-4297-AB1A-36486489B8A2.jpeg

the shims look like a winner. check the pop pressure and balance them within 25 psi of each other for better performance and mileage. or as close to each other as possible.

as for the joint pain. my wife picked up a bottle of some natural spray stuff last time we were in Rockport TX. she and one of our good friends say it works great. I will have to get the name of it and send the info.

That's awesome news. try looking on amazon for the delco part number. you might be able to have it delivered overnight. and SOME auto parts... not many carry Delco parts
Unfortunately I live in nearly the middle of nowhere so I’m usually better off paying slightly more through the local guys instead of waiting a week for online stuff 😆
Tha is great news @J_dude
How difficult was it to get the hose started into the bore with the intake still installed ?
If You used a grease gun hose, check for continuity between the metal hose fitting on the end of the hose and a good grounding source.
If there is no continuity, sand a spot on the fitting. Add some solder flux to that sanded portion. Heat it good with a solder gun and tin it until solder sticks. Add a section of wire long enough to reach a good ground source.
Problem solved. 😹
It actually wasn’t bad to get it started in the hole, it’s *almost* a straight shot down from beside the edge of the manifold. The hard parts was getting it tightened up, had to get a small 9/16 wrench in behind and under the FFM. Took a while, could only get about an eighth of a turn at a time, but it’s tight now. I’ll check continuity on the hose tonight, if I get home in time, supposed to be miserable visibility and drifts on the road so we’ll see how that goes 😆

the shims look like a winner. check the pop pressure and balance them within 25 psi of each other for better performance and mileage. or as close to each other as possible.

as for the joint pain. my wife picked up a bottle of some natural spray stuff last time we were in Rockport TX. she and one of our good friends say it works great. I will have to get the name of it and send the info.
Tested four.
Two injector leaks down about 2100. Those two pop at about 2200 PSI.
The other two just barely a drip just before pop at 2300 PSI.
I think I will try to get them all to 2300 PSI. Or as close as possible.

Tested four.
Two injector leaks down about 2100. Those two pop at about 2200 PSI.
The other two just barely a drip just before pop at 2300 PSI.
I think I will try to get them all to 2300 PSI. Or as close as possible.
I think 2300 is the pressure rating for marine injectors. can you take pics of the internals? maybe see if the nozzles are German or Italy made?

when you say leak down, if you get it up to pop pressure and leave it for a few minutes, does it drip or loose pressure leaking fuel from the pintle?

iirc I think I read about a leak down test where you pressure them up to just shy of the set pop pressure and leave it for a certain amount or time waiting to see if it leaks and looses pressure. I think that is where the lapping of the pintle in the nozzle comes in for the sealing surfaces.

I think 2300 is the pressure rating for marine injectors. can you take pics of the internals? maybe see if the nozzles are German or Italy made?

when you say leak down, if you get it up to pop pressure and leave it for a few minutes, does it drip or loose pressure leaking fuel from the pintle?

iirc I think I read about a leak down test where you pressure them up to just shy of the set pop pressure and leave it for a certain amount or time waiting to see if it leaks and looses pressure. I think that is where the lapping of the pintle in the nozzle comes in for the sealing surfaces.
Injectors are made in India. Stamped on them.
I have heard stories about the India injectors but then I have also heard the Bosch went in and cleaned house to produce these injectors to their standards.
It is barely a drip on most of the injectors. These two that pops at about 2200 it is an actual jet stream emitting from the nozzle.
I dont know if they will seat in with time. I also dont know how I would lap them in. Valve lapping compound I am afraid would be too rough of a finish. 🤷‍♂️

Added a 0.010 shim. Took the pressure to 2500 PSI.
I’ll watch the video. They tell about sanding shims to get in between sizes.
God, grant Me the wisdom and knowledge to deal with My impatience. AMEN
2500 ! use a flat block with some fine wet dry sand paper but try using something like diesel or light oil instead of water on the paper. do a light flat figure 8 pattern on them and check with a mic to see how fast it's removing material. it's gonna take lots of time a patients getting them dialed in.

Injectors are made in India. Stamped on them.
I have heard stories about the India injectors but then I have also heard the Bosch went in and cleaned house to produce these injectors to their standards.
It is barely a drip on most of the injectors. These two that pops at about 2200 it is an actual jet stream emitting from the nozzle.
I dont know if they will seat in with time. I also dont know how I would lap them in. Valve lapping compound I am afraid would be too rough of a finish. 🤷‍♂️
lapping compound is too coarse. I had watched a video online where a guy was using some automotive polishing compound and lapping them with a drill. I would think spinning with a drill is a bit over the top, but I do remember back in the day watching my dad lap sealing shaft seals for old crop duster fuel pumps with some special compound by hand. then putting them on a test bench to see if they leaked. that was a tedious task

what scares me is the jet stream, I have not had the chance to pull one of these apart to see what creates the misting spray pattern, but I would be inclined to take a look with a magnified glass at that area to see if there might be a brr or something in there causing the jet stream. my thinking is that its created by a bevel style seat with the pintle and when it opens it forces fuel out in a fanned out pattern. getting a tiny particle or burr in that area would likely cause a jet stream if this is the case.

oh, and be sure to use lint free cloths when cleaning and during the assembly. a tiny lint fiber can wreak havoc trying to get the spray pattern right and setting pressures. think of it in a way the filter works, anything larger than the micron rating the filter has can cause issues if it's in the injector.

watching that gives me a question. the slow rise in pressure as your are pumping the handle on the tester, also unregulated amount of fuel, might be the cause of the stream. I am wondering if you had something like an old working DB2 pump you could connect the injectors to and spin it off the truck if you would see that stream or it would just pop and spray normally.

I have a DB2 mounted on that 6.2 motor that I don't know anything about. wonder if it can be used to make a test bench of some kind.

having just one line from a DB2 ip to an injector with a gauge inline with the rest of the lines hosed into the return fuel supply container might make a decent test bench. using a drill or small electric motor to spin it with. spinning it slow enough so you only get few pops allowing you to watch the pattern and gauge might just work!

oh, and be sure to use lint free cloths when cleaning and during the assembly. a tiny lint fiber can wreak havoc trying to get the spray pattern right and setting pressures. think of it in a way the filter works, anything larger than the micron rating the filter has can cause issues if it's in the injector.
Not using any cloths. One blue towel from a roll, laid on the work bench to lay components on.
No wiping them down, just set the protection cap back on to the injector and back into the bag they came in.

I bought several different grades of diamond paste compound on ebay. Have yet to use it. I would think that peeing stream before it pops would eventually wear a groove and start peeing all the time.
Maybe I’ll go to the jewelry store, get some jewelers rouge and try it out on one of the old injectors I removed from the truck.
If it works then maybe try it on one of these new injectors. 🤷‍♂️

Back