• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

What did you do with your GMT400 today...or yesterday....

Split the transfer case to count links in the chain (36) to order a rebuild kit. Pretty simple job.

This transfer case was from the ‘95 wreck. I separated it from the transmission with 12 k miles on and it went into my ‘99. Transfer case sat behind the garage and got rain water in it. You can see some rust on the chain. It has 185K miles on it, so it will get the rebuilt. I had filled it with ATF after draining the water, and the ATF came out slightly cloudy.

D612909A-8B8B-4A05-BB5C-A3D7D8B92677.jpeg026787C7-A98F-40C6-A091-895EFB6C89E0.jpeg9DD9C9EB-DA5C-4358-8BBA-563BD8438FFD.jpegFB42DA23-B12A-4801-A380-4F693843A7D1.jpeg

Water in that t case- replace that pump. Examine all the bearings and races extremely close. I can’t see which set up yours is, if it uses clutches they get replaced as well after water ingress.
I never operated, just sat for a month or two with water in it from fall rains. The rear was tilted up so as to not dump ATF, but it must have been right under the edge of the roof.

Already looked at the bearings and there is no rust on them. Races on the shafts no rust. Some rust sludge on the bottom tips of the forks, but it wiped right off.

If they come out of the case easily enough, remove those ball types of bearings. set them cross wise in a vise and put a slight bit of pressure on them, try rotating the inner race with pressure applied.
If there is any sort of a sort of a bump before it rotates to the next ball, replace those bearings.
People tell Me that I am full of sh@ to test a bearing in such a manner, now try the same expirement with a new bearing and feel the difference. I rest My case. LOL

Shift indicator on my son’s ‘94 K2500 Suburban was not working. Bugged me more than him. I had a down day because Allegiant canceled my return flight to Missoula and that was the last flight of their seasonal schedule which restarts in May.

So the cable which moves the sift indicator is attached to a plastic collar that snaps into the rotating metal collar the shift lever is attached to. That plastic collar would not stay in because one of the three tabs broke off. So the universal fix with duct tape was the solution:
E9818E7E-1F73-4A54-B892-F084847A255B.jpeg

Duct tape for the win! Now we have to duct tape your phone into landscape for videos and the world will be a happier place! Haha

Guy at Work was talking about his last jeep and how he had to count from park- 123. SMH. Amazing because he is ultra picky about most stuff.

Duct tape for the win! Now we have to duct tape your phone into landscape for videos and the world will be a happier place! Haha

Guy at Work was talking about his last jeep and how he had to count from park- 123. SMH. Amazing because he is ultra picky about most stuff.
Just open it in YouTube and you’ll get full screen.

Took my youngest son east to Gonzales to get his drivers permit yesterday. he got to drive my rig back home about 30 miles. honestly with as quirky my steering is, he did good keeping it straight on the roads. his older brother and my wife were in the back seat freaking out every time a big rig would pass us haha. I helped him hold the wheel in the shoulder while they passed. he got his first 30 minutes of driving logged in the DPS book, I forget how many hours of driving he needs to have until the test.

Back