• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Wait until a bit over half of the tops are bent over. Knock over the rest (gently) and wait about 1 week. Dig them up and lay in a dry sunny area until the tops are dried rest of the way. Then store in a cool dry place. Mine usually last like that until the following spring.
For now the tops are very green and not going to seed yet
They are not as large diameter as we would like yet.

Around us. If it stays like it has been. Drying after pulling shouldn't be an issue.

Getting a little much needed rain today.
We've only had about 1.1" in 8 weeks or so.
We've been doing a lot of watering, but not enough.

Didn't water the apple trees at all. Hope we put up enough apples last year. Would have been a bumper crop again this year. The trees are loaded.

Probably end up like our pea sized cherries

Weve been watering everything pretty heavily.. no real rain for weeks.. corn is about a little past knee high some not quit there yet..peppers are producing early but the plants aren't very big ...
The tomatoes are mostly doing great..tons of them growing already and even more blossoms out which will each be another tomato..kinda keeping fingers crossed that summer will drag into October again. As some of this stuff will need that long.. @Diesel princess and I decided to build another raised bed 4x10 feet. Gotta get one more yard of soil in it so we can finish transplanting stuff into it..

So me and @Stoney did a mental count the other day ( this is not the actual counting if we did that it would probably be more) we have came to the conclusion we will have well over 350 tomatoes closer to 500. I hope I can get a bunch canned or I can get my roadside stand set up this year... Which @Stoney came up with a great idea to also sell plants next year.

You guys should document all you’re doing- then sell plants and maybe offer gardening lessons for extra cash. A lot of people want to learn it but trying to learn online sux.

You could do everything from completely building their garden area to teaching them to plant, care for, harvest, etc.

Idk maybe I am wacky thinking it- but some advertising in places like Craigslist should be your only money risked.

Most people dont know a lot about gardening or harvesting.
Then give canning lessons too.
Get a burner from a deep fat turkey fryer and set it up at Your roadside stand. Be canning and selling the raw tomatoes and veggies while the canner is running. Advertise free lessons and each participant gets a free jar of the goods they canned. That way You get free labor prepping the jars and produce and it only costs You one jar of canned produce. Oh yeah, and You get paid for showing them how. 👍😹😹😹

So me and @Stoney did a mental count the other day ( this is not the actual counting if we did that it would probably be more) we have came to the conclusion we will have well over 350 tomatoes closer to 500. I hope I can get a bunch canned or I can get my roadside stand set up this year... Which @Stoney came up with a great idea to also sell plants next year.
I have some Flaceblook friends and a neighbor that are selling vegetables and plants. One has a few small greenhouses and the other has grow lights in their basement.
One of the biggest expenses is pots and flats

Most people dont know a lot about gardening or harvesting.
Then give canning lessons too.
Get a burner from a deep fat turkey fryer and set it up at Your roadside stand. Be canning and selling the raw tomatoes and veggies while the canner is running. Advertise free lessons and each participant gets a free jar of the goods they canned. That way You get free labor prepping the jars and produce and it only costs You one jar of canned produce. Oh yeah, and You get paid for showing them how. 👍😹😹😹
Have a canning book or books to use and sell. To go along with this.
You could show them the important information in the book, so they know what to look up.

Back