• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

I rarely get out to even look at the garden lately.
It needs mulch/ straw put down & watermelons, cabbage and some other stuff planted.

Can't even pick up a bale of straw right now. My wife is doing pretty good at trying to keep up.

What do you do with squash?
We have never found it to be of any great use. Can't even give it away.

Why are you talking about squash in such a manner? 😁🙂

The yellow squash I can eat a bunch of that, one of my summer favorites along with fried okra and green tomatoes.

We slice yellow squash, roll it in corn meal, drop it in a hot pan of oil, brown it. That kind of eating with some, pintos, onions, bread and your choice of meat will make you gain some weight in a hurry....😀

Squash, with the innards removed. I have a large old spoon that I sharpened the front half down both sides. Works great for scraping out the pulp and seeds. Cut the squashes in 1/4s, a slice of butter and brown sugar coat the insides. Bake in the oven at about 350 for maybe a 1/2 a hour or so and thats some mighty fine eatin.

Do any of you grow sweet potatoes? I LOVE those things. I would probably make that my next thing to try if I can. I have brick planters that are 10-12” deep about 35-40’ long.
Then 22” deep about 65’ long. All pretty full sun year around that have block walls up 6’ high. So whatever is there gets some retain some heat.

There are small palm trees and some other super fast growing trees that I keep chopping to nothing each year. This one is 7’ tall, in February this was chopped down to 8” stump. I got kost of them removed but about 4-5 got missed. The only water they get is rain- 4” per year is our average.

I want to get rid of the only decorative stuff and put food bearing plants in place.
those planter boxes are already plumbed with sprinkler lines. I just need to remove the world’s worst pvc plumbing job from previous house owner and out in a timer with normal valves. Get ready to laugh at these mad plumbing skills...

D9D867A5-F51E-4E0F-937F-4479F9603316.jpegCB63D868-3FCA-4AD9-BD20-66307CDF65D2.jpeg

Never grew sweet potato. Can't be much different that regular ones I'd think. If you buy one and put it in a dark cool place it will spud little runners. Put tater up in sections so each section has a runner. Put them in the sun for a day to try it out so it don't rot in the ground... Then put each piece in dirt about 4-6 inch's deep. Grandpa used to put the pieces in ash's from the burn pile before drying them in sun. Gives them nutrients. But that's not required

There's a difference between summer squash (green/ yellow squash, aka zucchini) and winter squash, which are fall season storage crops

Most popular winter squash is butternut squash. Other common varieties are acorn squash, dumpling squash, etc. My personal favorite winter squash is Delicata, super sweet when grown right you don't need to add any sugar

Sweet potatoes are not actually in the potato (nightshade) family, they are actually in the morning glory family. The leaves are also edible. To grow sweet potatoes in the northeast most folks buy live plants called "slips". You can sprout your own sweet potatoes and grow your own slips to plant in late spring/ early summer (just not too early as they don't tolerate frost at all). You don't chop up and plant sweet potatoes like you do "regular" potatoes

I bought some dust stuff at local feed store. Told them I had termites in raised bed.. they said to dust the veggies with it and cover the ground and then water it in good.. it has permethrin in it . supposed to kill all the bugs and help the plants.. also bought some nitrogen for the corn.. not sure on application but figure a strip of it between the rows how grandpa did it should work in raised bed same as his fields... Really wish he was still here. There wasn't anything he didn't know about farming and crops... With almost 250 acres to raise and also being manager of a Agway for 43 years I guess he learned every trick in the book..

Interseeding cover crop in corn

That's normal, onions are a "root" crop but don't grow fully underground.

Harvest when the tops have withered & fall over above the bulb; if dry weather just pull out and lay on the ground for the underground parts of the skin to cure for storage. Or hang to dry like you would garlic

Our larger onions are 1/2 exposed out of the ground.

Do they need to be picked?

Left alone or buried you need to pull one out and see if they are full sized if they aren't done frowning l they need to
you need to pull one out and see if they are full sized if they aren't done growing they need to be covered... Btw I would appreciate an admins help as I messed some thing up on the quote part

Wait until a bit over half of the tops are bent over. Knock over the rest (gently) and wait about 1 week. Dig them up and lay in a dry sunny area until the tops are dried rest of the way. Then store in a cool dry place. Mine usually last like that until the following spring.

Back