• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

These are skills that is slowly disappearing as generation after generation now have not needed it. And now with the economy taking a huge hit and supply chain issues, more people are realizing they want to have the know how.

It really seems to me that with proper marketing people in each area could make a go of this. I could be wrong obviously so be cautious in amount of money invested into it.
Push the idea of “edible landscaping” for folks in small yards. Looks great tastes better.

I doubt government health laws would allow you to prepare food for consumption without a license and inspected facility. Even if giving it away.
I think state laws and rules vary.
I would think that as long as the person thats wanting to learn does all the prep work, then hangs out to maintain canner pressures, that it would be their own creation and so they would be the original producer of that canned veggie.
At least in theory in my mind it sounds good. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

I think state laws and rules vary.
I would think that as long as the person thats wanting to learn does all the prep work, then hangs out to maintain canner pressures, that it would be their own creation and so they would be the original producer of that canned veggie.
At least in theory in my mind it sounds good. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
Yes but it take about 1 and a half to 2 hours to can and honestly around here I think people would get bored with it after 30 minutes and leave...

As another NY resident I will say from personal experience to be careful when selling canned/ prepared food

the food Nazis aka State Department of Agriculture and Markets don't like it

In 2014 my apple cider was seized and impounded on my own property by the aforementioned food police. I was "selling cider without a license" in addition to producing cider in a non licensed processing facility.

What it all translates to is the government wasn't getting its fees in the name of "food safety" and protecting the big business that writes the laws and targets the little guy like yours truly.

What's truly baffling that in NY a farmer can process up to 2000 of his own chickens in his own backyard and sell them without any inspection but you can't squeeze and legally sell an ounce of apple cider.

If you want to sell anything canned, you need to shell out about 2k to have your recipe tested by a lab to make sure it is acidic/ preserved enough based on ingredients to be shelf stable. Then you have to have every unit sold follow the state labeling laws with ingredients, address of business, weight, etc. Oh and the product has to be made in a licensed commercial kitchen. Cottage industry is all but impossible in this state.

I could rant on but I've given up on fighting the food fascists and trying to turn vegetables into money. Sad that things have to get really bad before people finally take a look in their own backyard or think about where their food comes from and change their habits.

In happier news, I harvested about 50 pounds of garlic on Tuesday. Once the tomatoes and peppers ripen, it's salsa season 😁

@DieselAmateur you got a good salsa recipe?we kinda screwed up..we got a butt ton of tomatoes and peppers growing.. Hungarian wax peppers, habinaro peppers, bells, banana peppers, jalapeno peppers, ... Got the peppers in a little late but there producing... Hungarians are already giving us nice ones and some are getting dark orange almost red.. from what we understand they are 10x hotter than jalapenos.. not sure..

Attachments

• 16585322550701582191902.jpg
    16585322550701582191902.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 16585322911931831404658.jpg
    16585322911931831404658.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 16585323121771164957403.jpg
    16585323121771164957403.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 0
As another NY resident I will say from personal experience to be careful when selling canned/ prepared food

the food Nazis aka State Department of Agriculture and Markets don't like it

In 2014 my apple cider was seized and impounded on my own property by the aforementioned food police. I was "selling cider without a license" in addition to producing cider in a non licensed processing facility.

What it all translates to is the government wasn't getting its fees in the name of "food safety" and protecting the big business that writes the laws and targets the little guy like yours truly.

What's truly baffling that in NY a farmer can process up to 2000 of his own chickens in his own backyard and sell them without any inspection but you can't squeeze and legally sell an ounce of apple cider.

If you want to sell anything canned, you need to shell out about 2k to have your recipe tested by a lab to make sure it is acidic/ preserved enough based on ingredients to be shelf stable. Then you have to have every unit sold follow the state labeling laws with ingredients, address of business, weight, etc. Oh and the product has to be made in a licensed commercial kitchen. Cottage industry is all but impossible in this state.

I could rant on but I've given up on fighting the food fascists and trying to turn vegetables into money. Sad that things have to get really bad before people finally take a look in their own backyard or think about where their food comes from and change their habits.

In happier news, I harvested about 50 pounds of garlic on Tuesday. Once the tomatoes and peppers ripen, it's salsa season 😁
From what I read on the department of agriculture website if I have just a roadside stand and peddlers licence as long as all the ingredients are all listed it should be fine... Maybe not?

I didn't know you had a orchard, that's crazy about not being able to sell cider.. I'll have to drive up and get a jug.. back when I was a kid my parents had a fruit stand in hector on Seneca lake. We grew tons of grapes, both table and wine, cherries, peaches, blue berries, and we'd truck some of our stuff up to some family friends named Jim and Gretchen, they also had a fruit production they were either in sodus New York, or up above Hornell, can't remember which ( we did Buisness with people in both places) but Jim and Gretchen had apple orchards and I believe something else also.. Wed trade them some of our stuff for some of there's so all three places had a bigger variety of fruit for there stand /store..I believe we got corn and green beans from the other place.. to many years ago to remember now..but the point is that was farmers all helping each other out.. money never changed hands, we'd fuel up from each other's farm diesel tanks when needed.. it was just a great system.. I really miss that life

@Stoney I'll snag the recipe from a neighbor. We all get together in mid september and can about 100 pints of salsa. Although really its about 50-60% tomatoes and the rest is onion, garlic, peppers, and salt & cilantro seasoned to taste. Important part is adding enough abscorbic acid so it's acidic enough to be shelf stable.

I do have a small orchard, but the dwarf trees are pushing 40 years and not producing that well anymore. Plus the gypsy moth caterpillars the past two years have absolutely ravaged the trees, they literally eat the blossoms or the young fruit set. Not many apples this year, and with the drought the apples would have been golf ball size anyways. If we travel elsewhere to pick and press on site here I can let ya know when it's happening, most I've ever done in a day is about 110 gallons. The longer you hold off on cracking a beer the more gets done lol

I really loved the farming community, everyone sharing knowledge and tips and resources. But I'll never make per hour growing food what I make building houses. Seems small farms need to be really close to big cities to have a large enough affluent population to support them. I'd rather be in the country where I can't see my neighbors and gunshots aren't viewed as a sign of trouble hahaha

I believe if you want to sell your commodities it has to be on a personal basis. Don't advertise.

I had a friend with a home "Abatour". He sold lot's into B.C. It was by word of mouth.

You still run the risk of someone with a loose mouth.

I believe if you want to sell your commodities it has to be on a personal basis. Don't advertise.

I had a friend with a home "Abatour". He sold lot's into B.C. It was by word of mouth.

You still run the risk of someone with a loose mouth.
Ok the thing is... I don't know many people which is one of my problems we started planting a lot of stuff because we had a person to help us by word of mouth but that is no longer an option so I don't really know how to go from here without some form of advertisement... One thing I was going to do is for my peppers and tomatoes have a jar for people to taste test so they are more likely to buy the product if they like it... I'm personally not really going to buy it if I don't know if I like it.

Probably best to set up Your veggie store along a street. People will see and hear about it and come flocking from miles once the word gets out.
Also check with some of the vendors at the local Farmers Markets. Check with the vendors that sell mainly canned goods. Most of them will steer You in the right direction if You want to sell canned goods.
Fresh veggies I dont think would be a problem to sell from a street corner store.
A gal here and her man raise a huge garden and she sets up and sells fresh produce through most of the summer.

All this chaos is why I say offer teaching people how to diy. If you happen to have excess in some tomatoes or apples, and a person you have gotten to know gives you more pay for the class and you send them home with some grub, so be it.
I really doubt you have martha stewart pushing to have you fined for offering classes how to grow something. You could offer your services under a simple handyman’s license I bet for you to go to their house and build planting beds, plant seeds, and teach how to prune and harvest when the time comes.

It’s a matter of how much competition you have. There is already grocery stores, restaurants, convince stores selling everything you could grow and try to sell for chow. How many businesses are there that teach people how to do it on a personal level.

DIY stuff for home repairs is all over tv, YouTube, etc. But there is a handyman in Vegas that will come fix your problem for a couple hundred dollars, or will charge for more labor time and show you how to use the saw safely, what you are doing wrong when you fix something that you thought you followed tv or YouTube instructions but it turns out wrong. I was talking to him at a gas station (met a few times now) when he was fueling up his boat going to the lake. He went from doing repairs and needing his adult son’s help on Saturdays, to now his son works for him full time, and neither has done a full days labor in building in a year. He is about to have his brother join them soon as he gets moved here. He went from 1 of thousands of handyman to a market where people are scheduling dates 7-8 months out and his rates have doubled. He is looking into a commercial location where he can teach classrooms in the near future.

If you make enough money and have no desire to ramp things up- continue doing what you do. Otherwise see an opportunity to use your free time and skills to produce more.
Low risk high reward is not often an option.

Back