• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Lead would be pretty expensive to use now, I sold or traded? About 80 lbs of lead shot to a guy who shoots black powder. He said it was hard to come by.
How many hundred pounds would You like ? 😹😹😹
IDK, I think I have about 300 or 400 pounds under the work bench and probably that much more left to process. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹

I think he is done with shooting, he seems to be in a rut. He is a friend of my friend.
Thats too bad. One thing I never get tired of and that is shooting.
I do have an ai are in a .243 cal that I need to go pop a phew rounds through. It is all together, on a .308 lower, setting there and never fired, yet.
I plan on using that for the meat getter. 👍😹😹😹

I did make my own lead shot. Melt a chunk of lead and let it drip into a bucket of water. Pour off the water and let the pieces dry thoroughly.
I believe they would work mighty fine in a double barrel percussion BP shotgun. Especially like a stage coach version with a little shorter barrels. No two pieces of lead weigh the same so the flight would be more like a balloon, heavier pieces a little slower. Each piece is also pointy looking. Man, I could not imagine the damage.

A 1/4 cup or so down each barrel and a rag tamped in so they dont come rolling out. Could be quite affective.

diazinon is available everywhere. I get it at The Homeless Despot store.

I use DE for my pool filter. Yall need to know that stuff will absolutely destroy your lungs. It is no joke. Full respirator. The way it works on critters is the edges of it on micro scale are crazy sharp. They basically cut the heck out of the bugs crossing it. When you breathe it, it cuts your lungs up from the inside out.

It is super dry. It is like a sponge and will soak up something like 8 times it’s weight in water. Once it gets that max amount, it becomes soft and the sharp edges basically melt away. Then it is safe for you to breathe, and also doesn’t iill the critters anymore. So you have to keep it dry. Spread it thin as possible.

This stuff is horrible for pets- horrible way to die. Dogs can’t figure it out because it is old ground up bones so they sniff and sniff. Dog basically suffocates because the cut up lugs bleed slow and form scabs in lungs. Then lungs don’t work.

People can die from it too, but there is treatment they usually figure out in time. Usually. Unfortunately the way I learned of all this was an old guy in the neighborhood I used to live in years back didn’t get treatment in time. Very few things I put on breathing protection for at home- this is one.

I've stuck a garden hose in an Ant hill and let it run for hours, the spruce trees loved it. The Ants not so much.

We don't use chemicals to control insects, Diatomaceous earth has been used for slugs. two rocks for potato bugs. I had seen some type of insect with a long snought sucking a potato bug dry. For every pest you kill with a Pesticide there are many more predator insects killed, as well as Bees.

I even don't mind the wasps and hornets so much anymore. A couple years ago we were at the start of another grasshopper plague, the yellow jacket wasps were so thick they cleaned up the grasshoppers. A neighbor swears he saw them drag a big blue dragon fly down a hole in the ground.
Speaking of which, we have noticed a lot of holes in the ground this year - 3/8 to 1/2" diameter. Haven't seen any mud daubers or hornets around though

How many hundred pounds would You like ? 😹😹😹
IDK, I think I have about 300 or 400 pounds under the work bench and probably that much more left to process. 🤷‍♂️😹😹😹
I'd like it all!! LOL
There is a guy with a shot tower not terrible far away. He makes shot for half the lead.
Does a nice job.
When you say you have that much more to process, does that mean you are making shot or other things?

Not really sure why I would want anything now that I sold my reloaders - other than I am sure I could get access to reloaders if I was wanting to reload.

Not even supposed to shoot and the way I have been lately, I'm not sure how much I could shoot. One heavy round might make me whimper.

Somehow, I missed your earlier post about shot making

Ok so what's our final answer on termite killing? Lol
I have a bunch of old termite stakes we haven't used yet. Probably illegal now.

I just saw a couple of late night ads on TV for people and pet safe ant killer.

I can't remember the name and searching for as seen on TV ant killer didn't find it.

Maybe 4 or 5 letters and I think it had an o in the name.

Found it now, Zevo. Is it any good?

I'd like it all!! LOL
There is a guy with a shot tower not terrible far away. He makes shot for half the lead.
Does a nice job.
When you say you have that much more to process, does that mean you are making shot or other things?

Not really sure why I would want anything now that I sold my reloaders - other than I am sure I could get access to reloaders if I was wanting to reload.

Not even supposed to shoot and the way I have been lately, I'm not sure how much I could shoot. One heavy round might make me whimper.

Somehow, I missed your earlier post about shot making
For now pouring it into muffin size ingots. Later it will become bullets for muzzle loaders and sinkers for fishing.
I never sell any lead. If someone would want some I would mail them several of these ingots. I think they weigh about 2-1/2 or 3 pounds each.

I rarely get out to even look at the garden lately.
It needs mulch/ straw put down & watermelons, cabbage and some other stuff planted.

Can't even pick up a bale of straw right now. My wife is doing pretty good at trying to keep up.

What do you do with squash?
We have never found it to be of any great use. Can't even give it away.

Back