• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Anyonoe make biochar? Biochar looks interesting but also appears time-consuming and labor intensive.

I will flame off the garden at end of season and the winter weeds and turn over the soil.
What is biochar?... I have never heard of it and I'm just wondering what it is ... especially if its about gardening... Lol😀😀😀

You make charcoal. Then it is best to load it or inoculate it with nutrients and or some bio organisms. Then you amend soil with it. Charcoal has a lot of surface area and helps hold nutrients in soil so they don’t leach out. If you get a good blend of soil and loaded biochar it helps the roots extending their reach. Something about the burned out cell structure is just a great natural sponge.

You burn wood down to charcoal, break it up then load it. Mix in compost, manure, compost tea, pond water, rain water, or well water and let it age. The charcoal will sponge in good stuff and slow release it into soil. Some go the extra mile to ferment some stuff to add. You can add as much as you want or age it longer.

There are lots of YouTube videos. I can’t do it justice.

4 mil is code for moisture barrier here however I usually use 6 mil anyhow...
This plastic I used for the greenhouse is supposed to be for greenhouses and yeah it said something about UV inhibitor.. guess we'll see how it holds up and how good it does and yeah next year money allows we will get the better stuff. We are just trying to get as much food growing as possible

In our area there are quite a few growers of early tomatoes in greenhouses, they use bumblebee hives in them to pollinate the blooms. When i got out of that industry they had came out with a film that blocked certain light rays and diffused the IR rays. Funny thing was bumblebees cannot navigate without ir light rays and they couldn't find their hive at night. Fun fact

Basically anything that blossoms benefits from the bees..that's why we don't spray them.. except wasps. They must die
All wasps are demons... Just like spiders that's why there's spider hell... All spiders go to spider hell!!!... Someone please let me know if I spelled spider wrong I went to non gen x public school... Lol

Tomatoes as far as I know are pretty self- fertile/ self pollinating. Which is why it's easy to save seeds and get the same plant genetics the next year, not a lot of cross pollination going on. I grew hundreds of tomatoes in my high tunnel for years and never had an issue with fruit set/ pollination

Now on the other hand, here's a fun fact, beans don't do well in a greenhouse. They like cooler temperatures and do need more help from wind & insects for pollination. Pole beans (climbing/ vining beans) produce way more than bush beans. Build yourself a trelis outside and grow some massive beans like the fortex strain and have pickled dilly beans all winter :)

At one time I grew Yellow pole beans on a wire fence. They were a type that you left a bit of the bean and stem when you picked them and 2 new beans would form. I don't remember the exact variety (probably from Burpee) but they were delicious.

Back