• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

We're having a small problem. All our tomatoes we planted are yellowing. Soil seems to be moist enough. Maybe not enough nutrients? Soil we bought was mixed with horse manure. No clue how long it was composted for though. Any ideas? What can we put on them to save them?
Could be too much water, also water the sol at the bas, not the plant. IIRC my wife waters in the morning.

Ok, so now I know where to go when looking for a group of folks who either full of 'it', or know their 'it' :D
Rabbit and chicken poop is mostly weed seed free.

Cattle poop is better than horse poop .

Almost all cattle farmers spread their own.

A lot of horsey people need a place to get rid of their manure and will sometimes pay to have it removed.

With the push for organic, manure is going up in value.

The barn area they are cleaning up has a rock/gravel base. Typically those are pasture kept animals instead of stall kept. That rock just gets scooped up with it. It'll add a bit of lime to the manure though. I had that situation when we had the herd here.
My sister, after the guy comes with the skid steer and scoops out Her horse corral, she has Him haul in gravel and sand to fill it back up. Even mound it over so any piss or water either soaks in or runs off.

First @ak diesel driver Man, you sure know how to start good thread topics!

in fall of 2018 I redid my front yard and planted a lemon tree and grapefruit tree. They were both 5 gallon pots about 3-4’ tall. The nursery I bought them from gave me the fertilizer to use and instructions what time of year to add it and how much. They said don’t expect fruit for 3 years. 1 year later grapefruit put out 4 pieces. Year 2 was about 9, year 3 about 20 (b.i.l. And his 4 year old daughter picked most of them them thinking they were ripe limes)SMH. And this year looks like maybe 18 will come in- just tiny ball now.

but the Lemon tree, didn’t grow any until last year- it produced 1 lemon. And it was yummy! Haha. But the lemon tree is maybe 9’ tall now and the grapefruit still isn’t 6’ tall yet.

Any input about these is appreciated.

I need some advice the corn plants I had coming up... Something came in my corn plants and dug some up and we think ate them anyone know of any backyard animals that will do that... We ended up planting more seeds this morning.

Crows will pull them up and eat what's left of the seeds when the plants just break through the soil. We never had any coons to bother the corn until the ears were about ready. Groundhogs would work on the ears of corn also.

I need some advice the corn plants I had coming up... Something came in my corn plants and dug some up and we think ate them anyone know of any backyard animals that will do that... We ended up planting more seeds this morning.

Crows will pull them up and eat what's left of the seeds when the plants just break through the soil. We never had any coons to bother the corn until the ears were about ready. Groundhogs would work on the ears of corn also.

BIGR nailed it, it's either crows or blackbirds. They pull up the entire plant when it's about a week old and eat the sprouted kernel. I used to shoot all them birds on sight the years I tried to grow my own corn

use lightweight row cover as a physical barrier to protect the young plants from planting until a few weeks old, after which they are old enough to not be bothered by birds.

Now that the birds know you have corn there, they will be back, so if you want to have any hope of a crop protect accordingly

One thing we use to do for the crow problem we would shoot 3 or 4 then hang them up by a string in nearby trees. That worked pretty good about keeping the others out until the corn got up big enough so the crows wouldn't bother it.

We also hung black trash bags up in a manner that looked like a crow hanging there. Cut a small piece of the trash bag and tie it up.

Back