• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Vegetable Gardens

Got sweet corn in today. 4 rows about 140 yards long. No fertilizer bins on the planter so we broadcast a couple bags of 12-12-12
On it.

We were a little wide on the yard side so we put down some cover crop seed to keep the weeds down - hopefully.

One thing you can tell by watching us - we don't have a clue what we're doing.

We picked up a battery powered spreader to spread the cover crop seed. Never saw such a thing before. It was awesome.
I didn't remember what we had for hand spreaders anymore. I know at least one hit the garbage can. So I thought I'd grab another at the store. I bought a hand crank and the electric. I didn't have great expectations for the battery powered. But it really impressed us. The new hand cranker is going back.

We planted celery around some of the tomatoes today and carrots around other tomatoes. Putting green beans in the ground tomorrow, with potatoes around them. Trying to decide where to plant onions, they might have to go in buckets, or bins cause we're running out of bed space. We have about 13-14 more tomato plants in greenhouse coming out of the bottoms of buckets we hung up in there. Gonna plant more peppers in bins or buckets to go in greenhouse under the tomatoes. Hopefully we'll be able to grow more beans in buckets also. And diesel princess is going wants to plant some strawberries in planter pots heard there hard to grow but we'll try..not sure if they should go in the greenhouse or not

Got sweet corn in today. 4 rows about 140 yards long. No fertilizer bins on the planter so we broadcast a couple bags of 12-12-12
On it.

We were a little wide on the yard side so we put down some cover crop seed to keep the weeds down - hopefully.

One thing you can tell by watching us - we don't have a clue what we're doing.

We picked up a battery powered spreader to spread the cover crop seed. Never saw such a thing before. It was awesome.
I didn't remember what we had for hand spreaders anymore. I know at least one hit the garbage can. So I thought I'd grab another at the store. I bought a hand crank and the electric. I didn't have great expectations for the battery powered. But it really impressed us. The new hand cranker is going back.
Strawberries like raised beds, if you want to keep the birds away (Robbins), chicken wire or some other mesh is a must.
We were told that strawberries would not winter in raised beds - after year 3 of wondering why no strawberries lived in the spring.

I also use a product called Tempo.
I dont know how organically safe it is, once dry it is safe for pets to be around it.
Comes in a jug with the built on measuring device. Squeeze some into that little cup, pour it into one of them quart or better pump up jugs, top it up with water and that gets rid of them sugar ants and small ant like critters.
It also is suppose to be safe in food environments.

I've stuck a garden hose in an Ant hill and let it run for hours, the spruce trees loved it. The Ants not so much.

We don't use chemicals to control insects, Diatomaceous earth has been used for slugs. two rocks for potato bugs. I had seen some type of insect with a long snought sucking a potato bug dry. For every pest you kill with a Pesticide there are many more predator insects killed, as well as Bees.

I even don't mind the wasps and hornets so much anymore. A couple years ago we were at the start of another grasshopper plague, the yellow jacket wasps were so thick they cleaned up the grasshoppers. A neighbor swears he saw them drag a big blue dragon fly down a hole in the ground.

Back